New iPad owner thoughts
Just got a 32GB black wifi iPad 2 and wanted to share my impressions, having never owned an Apple product till now.
- its gorgeous. Besides the design, you just don't know how good IPS screen is till you've used it
- I don't have any paid apps yet. At first I was a little bit concerned that there's much less free content than for Android, but managing so far.
- some of the non-obvious things - Gmail account must be setup through Exchange, not via Gmail, otherwise contact sync etc doesn't work.
- AppShopper app is much better than the AppStore since it lets me filter easily and is also faster
- I absolutely love iBooks !! Android has no comparable pdf reader. I only have a few epub books, mostly use it for pdf now. Why would I need a paid reader like GoodReader?
- iOS is just so smooth and polished. Again its one of those things I didn't appreciate till actually using it, like all the little animations in the UI.
- My phone is an Evo 4g (which is 4.3", pretty bi screen). Yet after using the iPad it feels tiny and inadequate
- now for some bad news - wifi on iPad is much less reliable than my other devices. e.g. it won't let me stream video without stuttering even though I have a N router.
- I'm reading a lot more news due to the great news apps on iPad. It may end up making me smarter
- I can't jailbreak it due to newer firmware which I wanted to do. Looking forward to iOS 5
- Haven't bought any accessories yet. The screen is a fingerprint magnet, I at least need a screen protector.
- and finally, I recommend buying on a Fri so you have the weekend to play with your new toy!