Convincing someone to buy ipad 2

lonestarhog

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys. My girlfriend's mom is a teacher. She is also the Choral director and show choir sponsor. She really wants an ipad 2 and asked me if I could think of any way she can justify getting the school to buy one for her.

She does not own an ipad and is given a bulky laptop to lug around.

Can you think of any qualifying and convincing arguments that would help her get an ipad 2 paid for by the school?

Thanks so very much!

Last edited:

mfm77

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm a teacher, too, and I'd love to convince my school to do the same for me. :-D

That said, since your girlfriend's mom is a teacher, I'd suggest finding some subject-specific apps that would help the students learn the material better. These could be apps that display the material for the students in ways that cannot be achieved through simple chalkboard/whiteboard usage. Look for interactive apps where students could perhaps take part in the learning process. I teach English, and if I had to make an argument, I'd start with basic apps such as the eReaders and then move on to those that enhance the literature (and writing/vocabulary processes) for the students. Does she (or you or your girlfriend) have an iPhone? If so, maybe she could demonstrate some of the apps on the phone that also work with the iPad and show how they go above and beyond simple laptop capabilities. Hmmm, maybe I should do that myself.

It's only a matter of time before most schools start to transition to iPads, at least in my opinion. Good luck!

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Well since you insisted on forcing the issue by bumping....

I, too, am a teacher. Currently, I think spending the money on an iPad is a waste of a school budget. No teacher is going to pass the iPad around the room for 30 students to use / fight over / break / delete data. If technology in the classroom doesn't directly benefit the students, then it's not the right technology. It would be another matter if you were talking about buying a class set of iPads. I would LOVE a class set of iPads...but that's not going to happen when I haven't even gotten a classroom allocation for PAPER in the last 3 years.

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Can you think of any qualifying and convincing arguments that would help her get an ipad 2 paid for by the school?
She needs to come up with the reasons rather than fishing for reasons and trying to make them apply to her. It seems really common for people to attempt to use this approach for some reason. Don't put the cart before the horse.

What would she use it for? What uses would benefit her work in ways that a netbook, notebook or other lower cost option would not? These questions need to be addressed if she wants to make convincing arguments. I'd hope that a teacher would realize this...

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
It can be tax deductible if you buy it for yourself as a work expense, but the OP wants the school to buy it for the teacher - there are no tax deductions there.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods