Traveling with a slimmed-down iPad

longshadows

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I'm about to take a two week trip, using my iPad 32Gb as storage for photos from my digital camera (and any videos I take with my iPhone). Problem is, I have it currently so full of apps, books, music, etc, that there's not a lot of space left for "temporary storage."

I'd like to set up a "new" (secondary) iPad profile in iTunes, with just the basics and "restore" to that one, leaving my "regular" profile safely backed up on my Mac (at home), then later, after I return and no longer need the extra storage space, can I just "restore" to the old "regular" profile and regain all of my existing settings, apps, music playlists, etc. Would this work?

Help/advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Michael in Maine

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
How were you planning on getting the photos from your iPhone or digital camera onto your iPad is a more pressing question.

You would need a computer to get them off the camera and onto the iPad, so if you'll be bringing a computer with you, why bother deleting off the iPad. If you're not bringing a computer - how were you planning on getting the photos off your digital camera and onto the iPad?

Why not just get a large sd card for your digital camera and leave your iPad as is.

iRooney

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
You can transfer from iPhone to iPad using Bluetooth....and theres the camera connection kit for going from camera to iPad. I use my iPad this way almost daily....but I keep my iPad almost empty as far as music and movies go. My phone holds the music and I stream the movies. I keep one or two on it for car rides and such.

As far as separate backups it should work. Create one backup then wipe and start as new device and set it up the other way...then wipe again and you should be able to pick the backup to restore from.

longshadows

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
As far as transferring photos from a digital camera to the iPad, it's a piece of cake, with the iPad camera docking accessory. That's what I did on a previous trip, freeing up my digital camera for more pictures. By the time I was about to return home, the camera's SD card was full and the iPad was getting that way. I'm more concerned about it this year, when I would like to take videos with my iPhone4, which will take a lot more memory.

Your question, Alli, is more pertinent on this matter. While I know how to get photos from the camera to the iPad, I've never tried getting videos from the iPhone to the iPad, without iTunes sync! Anybody have any ideas?????

krazymo

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Why don't you upload your photos to picassa and get them off the net, this would save space. That unless you don't have wifi access abroad. Then I would recommend a Mifi device and local plan. Check out national geographic.

Mrjr

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
Your question, Alli, is more pertinent on this matter. While I know how to get photos from the camera to the iPad, I've never tried getting videos from the iPhone to the iPad, without iTunes sync! Anybody have any ideas?????

The camera connection kit. That's why it includes the second dongle with a female usb connector. Plug your iPhone's dock cable into the usb dongle and your iPad detects your iPhone as a digicam. Transfer photos or videos at will.

Rocktapus

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Why don't you upload your photos to picassa and get them off the net, this would save space. That unless you don't have wifi access abroad. Then I would recommend a Mifi device and local plan. Check out national geographic.

that's what I was thinking too. upload it to a storage site.

other than that, restoring your iPad restores everything except: movies, music, apps(although I think app data might be restored...correct me if I'm wrong)

but all your data like emails, contacts, bookmarks, photos, etc will be restored.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods