tecknoes

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Just got my shiny new iPad 2 and I'm thinking about selling my laptop, is there any way of updating the firmware on the iPad without the use of the PC and iTunes?

JasonG

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
No there is not. I wouldn't sell your laptop if it's your only computer as things can go wrong with the iPad. Not saying they definitely will just that there's that chance that it could and you could need to restore it. Also if you want to sync music or videos or back up the iPad you need a computer to do so. iPads are great but their not computer replacements, not yet at least

tecknoes

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. That's a good idea down the drain,
perhaps it's Apples ploy to keep selling Computers.
I have a Fritzbox set up with a 1 TB drive and can watch video (only mp4), play music and edit files etc. Without the computer on, thought it might be a good idea to sell the PC.
I can't see why Apple won't allow AVI files et cetera they seem to have a bit of a war going on over the Flash player as well.

JasonG

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I don't pay much attention to the flash drama anymore. Last I heard about it flash on mobile phones drains the battery faster or something of the sorts. It's not something I really care about honestly. Most the time I don't need flash anyways

dragonsgoalie

Feb 23, 2009
Visit site
You'll use your laptop a lot less, but it won't be replaced by the iPad. Inevitably, you will need it for something. My bigest need for the laptop is storage. I have WAY too much music and video for the iPad, so I sync and switch periodically. Plus iOS updates.

That's why Apple smartly refers to the iPad as a "POST PC Device".... Still not quite there yet. Give me a 500G iPad, and the ability to update over the air, and I'll be on ebay selly my laptop!!!:cool:

derek5l

May 21, 2011
Visit site
You'll use your laptop a lot less, but it won't be replaced by the iPad. Inevitably, you will need it for something. My bigest need for the laptop is storage. I have WAY too much music and video for the iPad, so I sync and switch periodically. Plus iOS updates.

That's why Apple smartly refers to the iPad as a "POST PC Device".... Still not quite there yet. Give me a 500G iPad, and the ability to update over the air, and I'll be on ebay selly my laptop!!!:cool:

Exactly my view.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2