anyone have a playbook as well?

ivango711

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I love my ipad 2...always use it but I recently played with a rim playbook and thought it was pretty cool also. I am thinking of getting one also..does anyone have a playbook and an ipad 2? what are your thoughts between both? thanks...

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I had the iPad 2 and returned it till the display issue is corrected. Don't have the RIM Playbook, but like you, I did play with it for almost 30 minutes. It was very cool, and I liked how responsive the browser was. It is much better than the older RIM OS. I hear a lot of people complaining about the fact that the Playbook requires an account with RIM in order to use curtain features and obtain apps., however, I just laugh, because the iPad requires an iTunes account do the apps as well. I'm also interested in others opinions on the Playbook as well. :)

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

xcon

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I have 2 ipad 2's and 2 playbooks, ask me anything you like. Both have its pros and cons and even after 2 weeks using both im still having a tough time which im going to run with.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I have 2 ipad 2's and 2 playbooks, ask me anything you like. Both have its pros and cons and even after 2 weeks using both im still having a tough time which im going to run with.

I am also interested on your thoughts on the browser. Also, how does the YouTube App work on the Playbook that you have? The one I tested in the store took a long time to start the Video, even on WiFi, and when it did open, it kept buffering on and off. This might be because it was a demo model too.

ivango711

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Irish Rose the funny thing is, that when I also tried it out at best buy, youtube was also slow...other than that, I enjoyed the experience..loved the multitasking..very cool with the swiping.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I think it might have something to do with the demo models not being fully activated on RIM servers.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Have a 32gb PlayBook and use my wife's iPad (original) every now and then.

PlayBook's size is better if you're going to be lugging your tablet around with you everywhere. And yes, having Flash does make things look more like it does on your desk top...which is good and bad. Hardware is solid, and combined with the new QNX OS, I see a lot of potential (and at this point, that's what it is - potential). RIM needs to get all those things they promised - native email & PIM, Android app compatibility etc. - sooner rather than later, before they loose all their steam from the launch and this week's Blackberry World.

iPad offers easier web browsing due to it's larger size and 4:3 aspect ratio. It also seems more natural for reading e-books. There's a well established ecosystem of apps available. You basically buy it, plug it into iTunes, and you're good to go. You don't have to worry about whether this platform will succeed or fail, because like it or not, it is the benchmark.

Cozmik

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I picked up a PlayBook on April 19th when they were released. The size and weight are great and the browser is pretty awesome. But until it 'matures' a bit I find it pretty limited. While there apps for it (and that number is growing daily) there are not any of the really good ones available...yet. (Zinio and NetFlix to name 2).

Now, I happened to walk into Future Shop on Sunday after and there was A 16gb wi-fi iPad 2 in the cage. Seeing how there was only the one and getting an iPAd 2 is still almost impossible I bought it on impulse. I wanted to compare it to my PlayBook.

The iPad bigger and heavier, but the bigger is easier to read on and and its not that much heavier. The availability of apps is limitless as I'm sure you already know. My wife and daughter have an easier time using the iPad, partly because it is a little easier to use, but also because as of right now it does more and for them the extra screen real estate makes a difference.

As for the browsers, I prefer the PlayBook simply because of its Flash capability. A lot of kids sites are Flash based and you find out just how many when you try to load up kids game on said sites. Having said that however the iPad overcomes some of its Flash shortcomings because usually "Theres an app for that" (Sorry, couldn't resist :) )

I think the PlayBook has A LOT of potential and given some time will be a real player in the tablet market. But, since I got my iPad 2, I haven't honestly spent much time at all with my PlayBook. In fact, I just lent it to a friend so he could try to develop a few apps for it. Truth be told, I'll probably end up selling it to him, because as much as I like it, the user experience on my iPad is far greater at this point. I am very interested in re-visiting the PlayBook again in a few months to see how things have developed.

Thats my take on the 2 at this point.

thebignewt#IM

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I just got an iPad a few days ago, and haven't seen the PB. But on the CB forum I keep seeing the word "potential" a lot. And people eagerly awaiting the latest OS update. Huh? The thing just came out, what's with an update already? What I'm smelling is that RIM released the thing unfinished. Like the infamous Storm touchscreen phone. They rolled back the OS the day of the launch because it had some security bug in it. Go figure. I don't care when I get a gizmo, but when I do I don't want to have to update it the next week for Godsakes.

netlinedave

May 10, 2011
Visit site
agreed. i've played with both and came away impressed by the playbook's power. i crash my ipad constantly...couldnt do that (yet) to the playbook.

Hup55

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I have both the playbook and iPad 2. They are both fantastic tablets! I love both of them equally and I am glad I have the two. The web browsing on the playbook with the flash is like having a laptop and or desktop in the palm of your hand. The iPad is great for web browsing and I have all my movies and music on it. My wife likes the playbook better because of it's size and weight. I can't say anything negative about the playbook or the iPad.

NYVetteGuy

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
agreed. i've played with both and came away impressed by the playbook's power. i crash my ipad constantly...couldnt do that (yet) to the playbook.

Crash your iPad constantly??? I have had the iPad and now iPad 2, I put them both through their paces and never had them "constantly" crash yet...what is it exactly you are doing to make them crash?

As for the playbook, got one for my wife and the browser is great, that it has flash is great but um....that's it...no real apps to speak of and at times it's not as responsive as I am used to iOS being responsive...

iPad all the way IMO.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods