Should I get the 3G iPad or tether?

Acint1924

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
So I purchased a 32 GB WiFi iPad 2 when they were released and now need to access the Internet on it due to my new job when I am on the go. The apple store said they would exchange my current model for a 3G model but I am not sure what to do.

Should I exchange the iPad or loose my unlimited data on the iPhone and get a tethering plan?

What's the better option and what's the cheaper option?

Thanks for the help!

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Really depends on how your carrier is like. Most of the Canadian carriers now include tethering as part of their newer data plans, so it'd be kinda dumb to pay for another data plan just for a tablet if you're trying to save a few bucks.

If you're in the States, sorry I'm not exactly sure how the American carriers' plans are.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
So I purchased a 32 GB WiFi iPad 2 when they were released and now need to access the Internet on it due to my new job when I am on the go. The apple store said they would exchange my current model for a 3G model but I am not sure what to do.

Should I exchange the iPad or loose my unlimited data on the iPhone and get a tethering plan?

Thanks for the help!

Hi,

Your budget and needs will determine the cheaper and better issues you brought up.

I was just evaluating both Apple offerings and the Motorola Xoom for projects and got WiFi only for my personal purchase and have no regrets because I'll not be without a phone with hotspot or tether option.

Some I know are opting for WiFi only and the 4G MiFi from Verizon because it will server other devices.

Have fun shopping.

Mella

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Really all depends on your need, if need the 3G very much, after all it do favor to your job, then exchange.
But I wonder if the wifi iPad 2 also can turn to 3G by using some tool, as I read in iFunia iPad column that can "turn iPad WiFi into 3G" with MyWi Mobile Hotspot App and other apps.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I would exchange it. I got the 3G model "just in case" and I'm sure glad that I did.

I always went for the 3G model as well. I think it makes a good back up for the times when you don't have access to a WiFi network.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Gary86

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
The first iPad I had 3G and found it to be a waste because I always have my iPhone and use mywi to tether. And if I don't have service or wifi then the 3G wouldn't matter anyway.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
I originally got ipad with wifi, moved to ipad 3G, I got ipad 2 3g but tether to ip4, don't activate 3G. But he reason I like 3G model GPS, even without 3G service.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Tethering is cheaper by 5 dollars a month. Some things can be better since you're on wifi. You can use facetime or take advantage of other things that are limited over 3G such as download size. There's also a possibility of LTE or "4G" in the fall for iphone which of course could mean faster tethering.

An ipad 3G has advantages too though. Part of the appeal is instant on. No need to turn on tethering and wait for connection. No worries about that connection dropping. It gives you GPS if needed. And since your connected like an iphone, you could take advantage of always being connected. Certain apps need this connectivity such as voip, google voice, etc. And your iphone battery won't take a beating (seems like iOS updates give it enough of a beating).

IMO, if you plan on using the ipad a lot away from home, get the 3G ipad.

o2sys

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I first regret that I didn't get the 3G model. But the more I use it, the more I realize majority of the places where I use my iPad has a Wifi conneciton available. I take my ipad with me to most places I go but never out in use while I'm moving around IE. driving or walking.

Also you have to pay good $35+ a month that would go to waste if you don't fully use it.

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Better is always highly subjective no matter what the topic is. You need to make the call. It's not a question with a one-size-fits-all answer. I got a 3G model for the times that I want 3G access without tethering. Whether that's worth it to you is up to you to determine.

Your carrier's site can answer your cheaper question since they're the ones you're getting the data plan from.

Last edited:

ongre10

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I have thought about this issue quite a bit.

I actually purchased and returned 2 3G modems early in the year, the idea was to be able to set the modem on a window sill or even out of doors to pick up a stronger signal. That worked well by the way. I decided on a Thunderbolt with tethering so I may be indoors and have the Tbolt out in a work bay, plugged in transmitting away, that works quite well. The problem there is that your phone is away from you if a call comes in. Maybe bluetooth would fill in the distance and with the voice command feature one may still take and make calls. I'm just getting into using the voice command features. Currently I use my Touch4 to listen to streaming audio as I go about my work.When the iPad2 I have ordered arrives I will use it daily at work during lunch to do personal business and browse the "intertubes" while tethered to my phone.
If you are around great indoor coverage then built in 3G would be fine, but I desired flexibility.

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I've gotten the att 3g first gen iPad, and now I have the iPad 2 from Verizon. While I don't use it much, I like knowing that if I do, I won't have to do personal hotspot through my iPhone. Just seems like an annoying extra step. If you can afford it, I recommend the 3G iPad.

MYNAMESALEX

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I Got the 3G iPad for christmas, and used the 3G service for a while, but most of the time, wifi is available that I actually use the iPad. Think of it this way. Would you buy a rocket stick for your laptop? That is the same answer as "do I want the 3G IPad?"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cozmik

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I opted for a wi-fi only iPad 2 as I have free tethering with my Rogers data plan. I definitely didn't want to pay them any more per month.

My only issue now is how the heck to tether it to my Blackberry....

Reactions: Hup55

m13

May 5, 2011
Visit site
If tethering is free then it would be a non question. This is not the case with AT&T.
How many people is put off by the lack of unlimited data with iPad data plan (unless you are grandfathered)? I assume more people would go with 3G model if data is unlimited. Don't forget the GPS functionality with 3G model as well.

Hup55

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I for one am glad I bought the wi-fi 3G version. Just hooked it up this week via Telus and it's very handy being able to use it when there is no wi-fi.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711