iPad 2?........ Have we reached the tipping point??

abbee

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
It can be argued, very effectively, that iPad 1 was the actual tipping point for the tablet market. For one year now I have been thinking that this was the case. That was until yesterday. There appears to be far more buzz about iPad 2 than when iPad 1 arrived. I expected that to an extent as awareness of what the iPad is all about has certainly been rising over the last 11 months. What really makes me think this is a tipping point is the employees in the IT department at my work. Apple haters through and through they are. A few of them know I like Apple products, they were constantly sending me all the news briefs on the latest ?iPad killer?. Yesterday, two of these individuals came into my office expressing their interest in purchasing the iPad 2. They had read the reviews, seen the online videos and were very impressed. These are two people I NEVER expected to buy an iPad. This speaks volumes to me about how well this product is going to sell this year.

Kupe#WP

Jul 28, 2000
Visit site
There are probably multiple "tipping points" as you describe it. The first one was last year when the more tech-savvy and expendable income folks formed a line at their local Apple Store to pick up the Next Big Thing (NBT) from Apple. This year, the tipping point reaches a broader audience (business, soccer moms, grandma and grandpa) as the word "tablet" becomes more commonly known (with over 40 companies making them now :eek: ). This pattern is very similar to the iPhone phenomenon back in 2007 (original iPhone) and 2008 (iPhone 3G).

Based on the iPhone experience, in 2012 tablets will infiltrate the full consumer spectrum much like smartphones did in 2010. So sometime in 2012-2013, we'll all start rumor-mongering about the NBT from Apple again. ;)

Reactions: FobBerry

Mio_Ray

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
It tipped me over all right. I would not say that I am or was a Apple hater, I just always thought that my Blackberry was doing a better for me job than an iPhone would, and I still do. (as far as a mail end led phone goes)

However when it comes to leisure, feet up browsing for weather, news, Facebook, multimedia etc. The available apps for BB was simply not enough for me. In Denmark all focus from app developers goes to iOS and Android, and the week before before iPad2 launched there was a big mess in Android market. The pure fact that 65k+ apps was ready for iPad and that the quality of the apps are usually better when it comes to iOS, that tipped me over.

Now that I have my iPad2, my only regret is that I did not get the first one a Year ago....

IMO the three things that makes the iPad even more worth it is: App World, Smart Cover and the iPad2 dock. "It's the icing on the cake" :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2