New iPad 2 Gone MIA before being opened...

love2drive335

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hello all. I'm an active reader of the TiPb blog, but obviously new here to the forums. I'm here today looking for assistance and advice from my fellow iDevice owners. Here's my issue:

I'm a US troop currently in Afghanistan. I had anticipated the iPad 2 announcement for a while, and planned on purchasing one at their release. I have a good friend back home in SC who waited in line on March 11th to purchase a new 64Gb 3G model on my behalf. On Monday the 14th he purchased a Priority Mail box from the US Postal Service to ship the iPad in. He packed it discretely in his car and then returned inside the post office, but not before taking photos of the unopened Apple box and serial number printed on it. The clerk helped him apply the proper customs labels and marked the box for the Delivery Confirmation and Insurance services that were purchased. He left the post office with the labels and documentation from the package.

Most priority mail packages from SC take 5-6 days to arrive here, and I have received two Priority Mail packages already that were signed by the senders on the 17th and 21st of this month. The tracking number from the package with my iPad still showed the status as 'Acceptance' at 3:04pm on the 14th at the Post Office's location as of Saturday the 26th. So, something is going on with my package, and I'm not sure what to think.

My friend who purchased and shipped the iPad contacted the post office on the 24th about our concern, and they stated they would have information on its whereabouts by the 26th. They have yet to provide any information. I don't have regular access to a phone or internet, so my ability to speak with the post office and get clarification is rather limited. There are a hundred different scenarios going through our heads right now as to what might have happened... 'has someone stolen it? did it leave the post office? is it stuck at customs? should the 'status' on USPS.com have even updated by now?'

What do you guys recommend I do next besides moving forward with the insurance claim process? I have the receipt and serial number of the iPad, so is there any way to possibly track it or find out if someone has in fact registered or activated it? I don't expect Apple to be very helpful in this situation, as they have very clear statements about their non-involvement in stolen device situations. Help me out please!

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I think you did the right thing by checking with the PO. I would give them a little more time. The PO is not exactly consistent with shipments. If you don't hear anything by the 31st I would investigate the shipping insurance claim.

It's not likely that anyone at the PO would risk federal prison for package tampering. My guess, it could be delayed at customs or sitting in a mail room somewhere.

Btw, thank you for defending our freedom!

Reactions: love2drive335

kmichalec

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Next time, you might want to use Express Mail International. It has door to door tracking (guaranteed), and comes with some insurance (you can add more) on it. I was trying to send an iPhone to Russia for an eBay purchase, and was told by the post office that Priority International can only be guaranteed to be trackable only up to the foreign customs office. After that, it's hit or miss. And a number of international packages have gone missing lately. I know that doesn't really help you this time, but FYI for future packages. Also, you might have trouble getting it covered via insurance, as you are not supposed to send anything with a lithium battery via international mail. If they x-rayed it, and saw the battery attached (which we all know can't be removed on an iPad), they can confiscate it. And when you try to claim it, they can say you violated the terms of what is shippable and what isn't, and therefore, deny your claim.

I really hope it doesn't come to that for you, but just giving you a heads up. I and this delimna with the iPhone to Russia. Wound up shipping it and taking our chances. But on a higher priced insurance item, they probably did X Ray it, or worse yet, someone in Afghanistan saw how much it was insured for, and it mysteriously disappeared. Read the eBay forums. There's a ton of stories about that going on lately.

Good luck mate!

love2drive335

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Well Gentlemen, I have some good news to report!

I suppose I was correct in my presumption that something was not right with the shipping status of my iPad, but fortunately it was a result of negligence (which is fixable) rather than malicious intent. The priority package arrived today (after 3 and a half weeks in transit) in terrible shape. From the markings on the box, it appears that it was in fact x-rayed by three different entities, but that wasn't actually the cause of the delay.

Somehow the package had been relayed to a different forward operating base here in Afghanistan, other than the one written on the box and the in customs declaration. Once the mistake was discovered, it was returned to the US shipping port in NJ, and then resent back to the correct address where it arrived today.

It looks as if someone played football with the box, and all the air-paks inside the box were popped, but the iPad box inside was dent free, though a bit dirty. That being said, I was appalled to actually see this thing waiting for me today in the mail room, and I'm extremely relieved that I don't have to go through any claim processes! Thanks to all for the responses, even though a couple of you made me extremely nervous. lol

E Pow

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
CONGRADULATIONS!! I?m extremely happy for you. Patience was worth it. You never gave up hope. I?d also like to echo the words of bamf-hacker??.THANKS FOR DEFENDING OUR FREEDOM!

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
Well Gentlemen, I have some good news to report!

I suppose I was correct in my presumption that something was not right with the shipping status of my iPad, but fortunately it was a result of negligence (which is fixable) rather than malicious intent. The priority package arrived today (after 3 and a half weeks in transit) in terrible shape. From the markings on the box, it appears that it was in fact x-rayed by three different entities, but that wasn't actually the cause of the delay.

Somehow the package had been relayed to a different forward operating base here in Afghanistan, other than the one written on the box and the in customs declaration. Once the mistake was discovered, it was returned to the US shipping port in NJ, and then resent back to the correct address where it arrived today.

It looks as if someone played football with the box, and all the air-paks inside the box were popped, but the iPad box inside was dent free, though a bit dirty. That being said, I was appalled to actually see this thing waiting for me today in the mail room, and I'm extremely relieved that I don't have to go through any claim processes! Thanks to all for the responses, even though a couple of you made me extremely nervous. lol

Glad it worked out. Enjoy!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2