Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Global Posts
    199 Global Posts

Default Change "Add to Home Screen" icon in Safari

When I go to add a website to my home screen from Safari, is there a way to change what the icon looks like?

Thanks
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version
    iOS 5.0.1

Unfortunately I believe your stuck with the image is automatically chooses, at least I haven't found a way to change it.. It's associated with the developers website coding.

If there is a way I'm sure someone will chime in and we'll both be happy, because a miniature snapshot of the webpage is NOT attractive whatsoever!
    Live, Laugh, Love and then there's...Apple!
    "It Just Works!"
    iPhone 5 32GB | iMac | MacBook Pro | iPad WiFi 32GB | Apple TV 2 | AirPort Extreme
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,023 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Yeah, I wish more site designers would think of this...it's so easy...Apple even takes care of the rounded corners and gloss effect, all you have to do it upload an image. I did it for a blog in about five minutes from start to end.

In the meantime, zooming in before adding the bookmark should let you at least choose which part of the page you want to use. In other words, the icon will just use whatever is on your screen, so try zooming in on the site logo or some other interesting bit before hitting the + sign.
    Last edited by Massie; 03-25-2011 at 02:32 PM.
    Thanked by:
    iamtone (03-26-2011)
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    294 Global Posts

i dont care much for how tipb has there logo on there homescreen bookmarks i wish it was just a screenshot of the website too
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

I noticed that the google voice web app changes icons depending on which GV page you choose to bookmark. Maybe some other websites do this too.
    iPhone Beginner

Hey. I wrote about a work around for this if the website didn't have a web icon

http://forum.tipb.com/apple-news-rum...ent-icons.html

Let me know if it helps.
    I'm around.

Articles at iMore.com

Twitter: @JorjLim
    YouTube: JorjLimOnYT
    YouTube: [TECh]Brits
    Game Center: JorjLim
    Ping: George Lim
    iPhone Nanite

Default I got a solution for you guys

I had the same problem. I hate the screenshot icon for sites with no icon for the iPad/iPhone/iPod touch.
    There's an app in the app store which called my clips which does exactly that. The free version got everything to do what we ask. The pro version can make the same links for SMS and calls for what i know but. Didn't try the pro one coz I'm cheap :-)

Well... Although the program is not as easy and comftarble is I would imagine it does the job.
    Just look for myclips in the app store
    iPhone Nanite

Don't know if my last post was posted but check out myclips in the app store for the solution. It does exactly that. You select an image as an icon and a link for it to open.

It's not perfect but it works
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: Change "Add to Home Screen" icon in Safari

How did you change that on your blog? I'm looking to do the same with my website.
    iPhone Nanite

would love to read your "work around" but this site says I don't have adequate permission. Why do sights force you to create an account for just for f)(K)ing reading? geeze.
    iPhone Nanite

Thank you! This was simple and effective.