ADVICE: Exchange iPad2 Wifi for Original iPad 3g+Wifi 64GB

E Pow

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
I need advice my from Tipb family. I?m a HUGE Apple fan, and have everything they make (phone, Macbook Pro, Apple TV, Wireless router, etc?) I have the iPad2. I LOVE IT!! I stood in line for it on launch day at Best Buy. I REALLY WANTED an At&t 32GB+WfiFi iPad2 but Best Buy didn?t have them. All they had was WiFi models. I have been going crazy since March 11th trying to figure out if I should exchange it. Best Buy has a 14 day exchange policy. My 14 days is up tomorrow. I have been going up there EVERY single day checking to see if they have any 3G iPad2 models to exchange it with and they don?t. I have even went so far as to stand in line at the Apple store but the 2 times I did they only had Verizon 3G models and WiFi only models. I love my iPad2. Let me list the reasons why so you guys will better help me make my decision. I love surfing the internet, social network sites, buying movies, and I?m a lite gamer on it. 90% of my iPad use so far as been internet, you tube videos, net flix?s and playing games. Not big graphic games either, basic games like Angry birds. I need your help trying to decide, because after tomorrow I won?t be able to exchange it anymore and it doesn?t look like I?ll be able to exchange it for the iPad2 3G model since stock is low, so my question is should I exchange it for 64GB or 32GB At&t 3G+Wifi iPad 1 or keep my iPad 2? I love having the internet on the go. I have a tethering plan with my iPhone 4 but it?s only 4GB, I use 2-3GB on my phone monthly. Most of my usage of my iPad will be at home in Wifi, but it?s the times I?m away from home that I want the internet with me and I?m scared I?ll run over my 4GB with the tethering plan. Help me TiPb family...............

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
If you are not using the cameras for Facetime etc, and you are not a heavy gamer then I would return the iPad2 and get the iPad.

I have them both and the biggest difference I notice is in gaming.

E Pow

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, I wouldn?t use the camera's. I use Skype all the time with my daughters, but I have a Macbook for the that and an iPhone 4 for that too. The camera on the iPad2 isnt for me. I couldn?t see myself taking pics with it or shooting videos with it. I use my iPhone4 and video camera for pics and shooting videos of my kids and their sports activities.

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
At&t online had 64gb wifi-3G for $529 yesterday.... If you HAVE to get it from Best Buy, then I'm sorry for telling you! ;)

Oh and what bamf ^^ said!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

johnmarshall4

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
E Pow

If your only reason is for the 3G data I wouldn't do it - keep the iPad 2. Here is why:

You mentioned you already have tethering, so the cost of that doesn't get factored in. But if you get the ATT 3G ipad you will pay 25.00 per month for 2G of data. But if you stick with tethering you will only pay 10.00 for each 1G you go over. So an additional 2G will only cost 20.00 per month.

The other reasons to keep it of course are many. You may not see yourself using the camera now, but you might down the road. Skype on the iPad will be much more convenient with instant on than dragging our the laptop. Facetime is also very cool. Also the new model is just so thin and light, using my iPad 1 feels 'old'.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: E Pow

E Pow

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Thanks everyone for their input. I have decided to keep my iPad2. I know me, and if I was to get rid of it I?d be cussing myself out in about 2 months. Just knowing that I had the new version and got rid of it for the older version would make me go crazy. I?d be so mad in about 3 or 4 months when a new software update or app comes out that only is ran on iPad2. Plus after really sitting down and writing out the monthly cost it is better for me to keep what I have. I only pay $45 a month now for 4GB. If I was to get the old 3G model I would add a cost of an extra $25 which would be $70 a month for 2 extra GB. I could just keep my iPad2 and if I went over an extra 2Gb just pay the extra $10 per GB over. It makes more since to keep the iPad2 which by the way I?m even lucky to have since there is a shortage. It?s thousands of people still wanting and waiting for theirs and here I am lucky enough to have one and trying to get rid of it. That alone is another reason to keep it. I?m making the smart choice by keeping what I have. It doesn?t make sense to go backwards to me. Thanks again everyone??

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I wouldn't feel "lucky" to have one. Don't let supply issues make you think that. Base your decision on what you need or want. Around iphone 5 time, these shortages will be resolved. And its really iOS 5 that you'll want that A5 processor and extra RAM.

But you're right on with the tethering. It's only 10/gb if you go over. They don't call the police on you or anything.

In regard to the ipad one with 3G. This is the 3G chip without HUSPA. It's basically like the iphone 3GS 3G chip compared to the iphone 4's. If you noticed, the iphone 4 is faster with speedtests especially uploads. So keep on tethering and get more speed. There's also benefits in that your ipad 2 sees it as wifi which enables you to bypass those 3G restrictions such as no Facetime over 3G.

And finally, the iphone 5 could easily be 4G on AT&T or HSPA+ chip. This will of course mean even faster tethering as well as being faster than the current ipad 2 3G.

E Pow

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
In regard to the ipad one with 3G. This is the 3G chip without HUSPA. It's basically like the iphone 3GS 3G chip compared to the iphone 4's. If you noticed, the iphone 4 is faster with speedtests especially uploads. So keep on tethering and get more speed. There's also benefits in that your ipad 2 sees it as wifi which enables you to bypass those 3G restrictions such as no Facetime over 3G.

And finally, the iphone 5 could easily be 4G on AT&T or HSPA+ chip. This will of course mean even faster tethering as well as being faster than the current ipad 2 3G.

GREAT points CARDFAN, I'm so glad I'm keeping my iPad2. Thanks!!!!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711