Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 62
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iamtone's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    126 Posts
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts

    Default iPad 2 cracked glass

    I dropped my iPad 2 and the glass cracked I set up a genius bar appt told them the issue seemed like that were assuring me they could fix it instore

    Has anybody had to repair glass on an ipad2 is it a pretty easy process?

    Mine fell on the corner of it too and the back aluminum case got dented in the corner too is that something tha can b replaced or fixed too?
  2. #2  
    touchyphone's Avatar
    iPhone Pro

    Posts
    698 Posts

    Default

    Ummm, you know it will cost your right? Dropping isn't under warranty. Expect to pay out the tooter bro.

    If it doesn't cost you, you'll be one lucky SOB.
    MacBook 6,1 Late 09 Model
    iPhone 4 16GB JB'd
    iPad 16 GB 3G+WiFi
    Follow me on Twitter @CFFlack
    Tip my scale if I helped ya or was just being a good dude as usual.
    Thanked by:
    Xm_jdm (03-20-2011)
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iamtone's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    126 Posts
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts

    Default

    I expect it to cost me

    I just wanted to know if it is something that is fixable in the store
  4. #4  
    cardfan's Avatar
    iMore Guru

    Posts
    1,945 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,569 Global Posts

    Default

    iPad Wi-Fi
    iPad 2 Wi-Fi Out-of-Warranty Service Fee
    16GB $269
    32GB $299
    64GB $349

    An iPad that is ineligible for warranty service may be eligible for Out-of-Warranty (OOW) Service. However, certain damage is ineligible for OOW service, including liquid damage, catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iamtone's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    126 Posts
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts

    Default

    Thank you!
  6. #6  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default

    OUCH! I just got my black 32GB AT&T iPad2 today... it's nice... not sure what I'd do if I dropped it... Sorry to hear the news, man... Hopefully the dudes in the genius bar will make it "new" again!
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
  7. #7  
    Ipheuria's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    6,844 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

    Default

    I know when I had lint in the screen of my 3G I went in to the genius bar to have the screen replaced. I expected to just drop it off but they told me it would be 15 minutes. However the screen on the iPad is alot bigger so not sure it would be the same deal. The dent in the case I doubt they would be able to fix it without replacing the unit. So let us know what happens, I can just imagine my face if my iPad were to ever fall
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iamtone's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    126 Posts
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts

    Default

    a tear definately fell from my face.. i have my genius bar appt this evening so i would let you guys know what happened
  9. #9  
    Cahow's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    30 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iamtone View Post
    I dropped my iPad 2 and the glass cracked I set up a genius bar appt told them the issue seemed like that were assuring me they could fix it instore

    Has anybody had to repair glass on an ipad2 is it a pretty easy process?

    Mine fell on the corner of it too and the back aluminum case got dented in the corner too is that something tha can b replaced or fixed too?
    How did this happen? I live in fear of dropping my tablet but so far, so good. I do have a female friend, however, who shouldn't be allowed, legally, to own ANY electronic device! I don't know what her problem is, really: she's flushed two iPod's/iPhone's down the toilet (take it outta your jeans, crackhead!); and cracked the screen on her iPad, twice.

    By the way, she has PLASTIC dinnerware and stemware in her home and she's 38 years old. She said she would "break a glass per week" before she went plastic. And no, she doesn't have any disease.

    Good luck on that replacement; I feel for you as that's my greatest fear.
  10. #10  
    Smlk's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    306 Posts

    Default

    The support team has been so very nice to me every time I have gone in to get something fixed. I love Apple for that reason. I have three teens and everyone in the house has phones, touches,IPods, iPads! It's amazing how many trips to the Apple store we make! hahaha! I am always impressed at how nice and helpful they are. We almost always walk out with a device that is working beautifully that day! Incredible. Their customer support is really good and quite frankly the way most companies do business now, I'm so thankful to know they are truly helpful! These devices are expensive but it's worth it.
    Twitter @redbirdsm
    Thanked by:
    Cahow (03-19-2011)
  11. #11  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smlk View Post
    The support team has been so very nice to me every time I have gone in to get something fixed. I love Apple for that reason. I have three teens and everyone in the house has phones, touches,IPods, iPads! It's amazing how many trips to the Apple store we make! hahaha! I am always impressed at how nice and helpful they are. We almost always walk out with a device that is working beautifully that day! Incredible. Their customer support is really good and quite frankly the way most companies do business now, I'm so thankful to know they are truly helpful! These devices are expensive but it's worth it.
    Interesting...

    We have 1 MBP, 1 Mac Mini, 1 iPhone4, 1 iPad, 1 iPad2, 3 iPod Touches, 2 Classic iPods, 1 iPod Nano, 1 Original AppleTV, 4 AppleTV 2gen, 1 Time Capsule and 1 Airport Extreme... and I've NEVER had to go to the Genius Bar/Apple Store for assistance or repairs... I have used their phone support to get questions answered... I guess we're just lucky...

    And speaking of luck, best of luck to the OP!
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
  12. #12  
    Jo-9's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    23 Posts

    Default

    Ouch, I am sorry to hear! The very next day after I got my iPad 2 I got an "incase" ipad pouch. Whenever I leave the house I make sure its protected and I am not holding anything else while carrying it. They need to make like an iPad lanyard so you can wrap it around your wrist while your holding it! lol
  13. #13  
    Garz's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    4,268 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,195 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    8.0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iamtone View Post
    a tear definately fell from my face.. i have my genius bar appt this evening so i would let you guys know what happened
    Yes let us know. I'm curious what happens.
  14. #14  
    jhamilton3's Avatar
    TiPb Fourm Staff

    Posts
    1,742 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.0

    Default

    I feel your pain.. dropped my white(parts converted) iPhone about a week or so after paying for the white parts..

    Luckily I ordered two sets
    Twitter = JHamilton24
  15. #15  
    dawggg63's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    72 Posts
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

    Default

    I purchased a warranty from Square Trade ($72 for 2 years on 64 GB WiFi) that includes ADH (Accidental Damage from Handling) that covers drops. Hope I never have to use it, but a little piece of mind nonetheless.
  16. #16  
    OTACORB's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    636 Posts
    Global Posts
    701 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dawggg63 View Post
    I purchased a warranty from Square Trade ($72 for 2 years on 64 GB WiFi) that includes ADH (Accidental Damage from Handling) that covers drops. Hope I never have to use it, but a little piece of mind nonetheless.
    I did the same with my iPad 2 as I had also done with my iPad 1 and iPhone 4 and iPod Touch. You can cancel at anytime for a prorated refund. I sold my iPad one on eBay then canceled the warranty. Got half my money back.

    The SquareTrade warranty also covers full water immersion if that should happen and all warranties now have a buy back option.
  17. Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  
    iamtone's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    126 Posts
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    Yes let us know. I'm curious what happens.
    Well I have good news

    They said they would replace it for no cost.. Of course they didn't have any in the store.. So I had to have apple care fulfill the warranty they said the apple engineers were looking into the ipad2 glass cracking easily with the smart case on it and I suppose I fell under tha case study so I'm suppose to send my iPad 2 to apple for there engineers to look at both my iPad and smart case and they will send me a replacement as soon as they get it..

    I feel indebted to apple now

    I will be an apple customer for life!
  18. #18  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iamtone View Post
    Well I have good news

    They said they would replace it for no cost.. Of course they didn't have any in the store.. So I had to have apple care fulfill the warranty they said the apple engineers were looking into the ipad2 glass cracking easily with the smart case on it and I suppose I fell under tha case study so I'm suppose to send my iPad 2 to apple for there engineers to look at both my iPad and smart case and they will send me a replacement as soon as they get it..

    I feel indebted to apple now

    I will be an apple customer for life!
    That is fantastic news... good to know that Apple is taking care of you... sorry you have to wait for a replacement... but it's better than having to wait to buy a replacement!
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
  19. #19  
    Garz's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    4,268 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,195 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    8.0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iamtone View Post
    Well I have good news

    They said they would replace it for no cost.. Of course they didn't have any in the store.. So I had to have apple care fulfill the warranty they said the apple engineers were looking into the ipad2 glass cracking easily with the smart case on it and I suppose I fell under tha case study so I'm suppose to send my iPad 2 to apple for there engineers to look at both my iPad and smart case and they will send me a replacement as soon as they get it..

    I feel indebted to apple now

    I will be an apple customer for life!
    That's good to hear. You may be without a iPad for a couple of weeks but at it's getting replaced.
  20. #20  
    E Pow's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    304 Posts
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts

    Default

    That is fantastic news!!! I know your extremely happy with Apple. Its moments like these that make being an Apple fan worth it all.
    Sports Dad

    iPhone 5 32GB At&t
    iPad2 white 16GB
    Macbook Pro
    Apple TV 2nd generation
  21. Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  
    iamtone's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    126 Posts
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts

    Default

    thinking about what the apple rep was telling me i believe the apple enigineers are looking at the fact that since the smart covers have magnets in the them that are all seperated like not one continuous piece they actually could do more in making the glass shatter then preventing it..

    what do u guys think? like if it was on solid piece of course it wouldnt b foldable but the physics of separate hard pieces hitting the ground would have to harm the glass even more right?

    what do yall think?
  22. #22  
    scorourke's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    7 Posts

    Default iPad 2 cracked glass

    I am in the same boat, I'm afraid. Last night my iPad 2 fell off the arm of my sofa and fell about 2 feet to the ground - I have a carpet on the floor and I had the Apple cover on my iPad so I would never expect this rather short distance fall to cause such a crack - the crack is about half the size of a thumbnail and doesn't interfere with the viewable area of the iPad but it's still a crack that could potentially "spider"
    I brought it directly to Best Buy this morning (where I purchased it - Best Buy is a lot more conveniently located than the nearest Apple Store). They said there was nothing they could do
    I called an Apple Tech just to find out how much it would cost to fix - he told me that screens were $349 to replace! Then he urged me to go to my nearest Apple Store because he believed, from the description I gave him of the crack, that Apple would replace it for me free of charge. So I have an appointment this evening at my Apple Store. I will update this forum with the results of that visit
  23. #23  
    scorourke's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    7 Posts

    Default iPad 2 cracked glass

    So I went to the Apple Store where I was greeted numerous times by friendly and courteous sales people - my appointment at the Genius Bar was at 6:20 and even though the store was crowded I was seen about 15 minutes early - the Tech listened to what happened, ran some diags, punched some info into his iPhone and about three minutes later informed me that Apple would replace my iPad 2 FREE OF CHARGE!!!!! And, he actually seemed as happy to tell me that as I was to hear it!!!!! They didn't have any there so he gave me back my cracked one and said they'd call me in about 3 days at which time I could bring mine in for an even exchange! God bless Apple!
  24. #24  
    Garz's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    4,268 Posts
    Global Posts
    13,195 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    8.0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scorourke View Post
    So I went to the Apple Store where I was greeted numerous times by friendly and courteous sales people - my appointment at the Genius Bar was at 6:20 and even though the store was crowded I was seen about 15 minutes early - the Tech listened to what happened, ran some diags, punched some info into his iPhone and about three minutes later informed me that Apple would replace my iPad 2 FREE OF CHARGE!!!!! And, he actually seemed as happy to tell me that as I was to hear it!!!!! They didn't have any there so he gave me back my cracked one and said they'd call me in about 3 days at which time I could bring mine in for an even exchange! God bless Apple!
    Awesome news!!!
    Thanked by:
    scorourke (03-22-2011)
  25. Thread AuthorThread Author   #25  
    iamtone's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    126 Posts
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scorourke View Post
    So I went to the Apple Store where I was greeted numerous times by friendly and courteous sales people - my appointment at the Genius Bar was at 6:20 and even though the store was crowded I was seen about 15 minutes early - the Tech listened to what happened, ran some diags, punched some info into his iPhone and about three minutes later informed me that Apple would replace my iPad 2 FREE OF CHARGE!!!!! And, he actually seemed as happy to tell me that as I was to hear it!!!!! They didn't have any there so he gave me back my cracked one and said they'd call me in about 3 days at which time I could bring mine in for an even exchange! God bless Apple!
    yep! samething that happen with mine.. there is something going on! perhaps them smart cases give it a greater chance of the glass shattering
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions