Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Elite

2,237 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,862 Global Posts

Default ipad screen as good as iphone 4?

Study: iPad 2 Screen Is as Good as iPhone’s, Despite Lower Specs | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

My main issue with ipad is fuzzy text. This study claims that this is software related.

Using ppi calculator: DPI Calculator / PPI Calculator

I'm tending to agree. My 24" monitor, viewed at same distance using windows is just sharp text. Though its 1920x1200, its ppi is a low 94.34.

Even an 11.6" netbook running windows has sharp text. 1366x768. It's ppi is 135.

I don't use a Mac, but googling this issue, i see people have noticed their mac screens at around 11" or 13" have much sharper text as well.

The ipad's ppi is 132.

There's no reason the text on the ipad should be this bad or needing some high super "retina" resolution to fix a software problem (though i'd be fine with it :P). I'm wondering if iOS 5 will bring improvements here.

Any thoughts? I'm not exactly a screen expert here but it seems to make sense.
    iPhone Beginner

87 Posts
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts

Personally, having used other tablets with close to the same specs on terms of screen technology, the iPad definitely has crisper text in my opinion.*

As a perfect example, have you ever used a Viewsonic G-Tablet? Well, it's unusable, on top of the bad viewing angles the text is unreadable. You see EVERY damn pixel, no matter how far you are from the thing. Hell, even the Xoom with an actual HD resolution has blurry text.*

For my eyes though, I have to be about, say, six inches from the iPad to start seeing pixels. Past that, it's beautiful.*

To each is own, I guess.
    iPhone Newbie

30 Posts
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

I did notice it was a lot brighter than my iPad1. Check out my iPad2 unboxing and app review