HOW do you use your iPad 1 or 2?

canadu

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
I adore competition and as a business owner, I say "Bring it!" to all my competitors! It keeps me on my toes and current, rather than being bloated, lazy and complacent. Just as in digital cameras and cell phones there are choices galore and everyone is happy, so it needs to be with tablets. Let Apple lovers buy the iPad; let Android lovers buy their tablet; let RIM lovers buy theirs, etc. It's a big planet with loads of money and lots of future customers for everyone.[/QUOTE]

I am in complete agreement with you I believe these worthy competitors actually have been stifled by Google's efforts in terms of bringing a good tablet to market. The biggest complaints I have about android platform is that every time a new version....let me correct every time they rushed a version of the OS to the market, It's usually not optimize for the device(s) that it needs to be optimize for that is what creates that terrible user experience for most people that are searching for tablet and plunking over $500+ for one. *I had 3 guys with Motorola xoom that were in line for an iPad2. *Price aside on that device, a monster spec couldn't save it now. *
I believe Apple products hits it out off the ballpark even with a slight fragmentation now with older devices. The user experience can always be generalized as above average. *Before I became a fan of Apple, I was a very happy Nokia employee till 2008 when the N96/N97 flopped due to the intro of the original iPhone in 2007.

Reactions: Cahow

Cahow

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Utterly agree with you, canadu. Rather than waiting and making a real contender for an alternative tablet (the area that Apple doesn't want to explore), company's like Motorola crap something out...and then...tell you to SEND YOUR NEW TABLET AWAY...for an upgrade!!!! Are you f'ing kidding me???? First, the product should NEVER have been sold without that immediate "upgrade" to Flash or, you should be able to download the silly upgrade. That put me off the Xoom immediately.

I have a question for you or anyone who wants to share an opinion: I have a $300 Visa Gift card from Christmas. I was saving it for a new Sony Vaio laptop as my 5 year old model can't handle the rich text websites well. I am such a hard-core baker, in my off hours, that getting an iPad just for that Recipe Box app is seriously tempting me. Since I have my Gal-Tab and adore it, if I decide to get an iPad, would I be better off getting the least expensive model on ebay (16GB and Wi-Fi only) or...the least expensive iPad2, just in case I fall in love with the iPad and want the camera feature? Another app that I've been drooling over is the Elements app by Theodore Gray and I don't see that ever coming to Android. Or, should I just hold off, completely, and wait for the 2012 iPad3 (which you just KNOW will be coming out!) As many posters have shared, they have multiple devices with multiple platforms so if my home becomes Apple/Android, I'd have no problem with that! LOL

qblackman

Sep 20, 2008
Visit site
This was an impulse buy for me and I can't find a good use for it yet being as tho I own a Macbook and iMac.
My intent was to eventually sell my Macbook but it looks like I will be selling the iPad2. But I will give it a fair shot first.

Long story short, I am not 'wowed' yet...

lawls

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
lawls: would you elaborate on HOW you take notes on the iPad? I frequent the generic Tablet forum at amazon and one of the more requested tasks from a tablet is dedicated note taking options. Tablets are SO new that most of the responders have no information to share.:( After all, it was only April 2010 that the original iPad came out.

Well I mostly use Apple's pages app for notes during class, and if I just have to jot something quick I use the notes app. I've tried out a few others like sundry notes and phatpad but I like pages the best.

I also like keynote if I have to make up a presentation, and adobe ideas if I have to draw diagrams or anything (then I take a screenshot of what I've drawn and put it in my pages document)

&& I just use the onscreen keyboard to type, using it right now in fact.

Edit: I've just started using dropbox as well
Edit again: the elements app is pretty cool! if you do get it after installation restart your iPad right away before you open it, keeps it from crashing upon opening

Hope I helped!

Last edited:

Cahow

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
This was an impulse buy for me and I can't find a good use for it yet being as tho I own a Macbook and iMac.
My intent was to eventually sell my Macbook but it looks like I will be selling the iPad2. But I will give it a fair shot first.

Long story short, I am not 'wowed' yet...

Well, that's an honest answer and I thank you for it, Teek. I've done the same thing: impulse buy on a cool device, then let it sit in the box past when I can return it. My friends directly benefit; they get whatever it is for birthday or Christmas gifts. LOL

In a blog that I read somewhere, it was written by a fan of Apple. He had the original iPad, was thinking about the iPad2 but wrote that he honestly doesn't even use his original iPad. He's got his iPhone4 and his Mac book and can't figure out when or how to use his iPad.

Cahow

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Well I mostly use Apple's pages app for notes during class, and if I just have to jot something quick I use the notes app. I've tried out a few others like sundry notes and phatpad but I like pages the best.

I also like keynote if I have to make up a presentation, and adobe ideas if I have to draw diagrams or anything (then I take a screenshot of what I've drawn and put it in my pages document)

&& I just use the onscreen keyboard to type, using it right now in fact.

Edit: I've just started using dropbox as well
Edit again: the elements app is pretty cool! if you do get it after installation restart your iPad right away before you open it, keeps it from crashing upon opening

Hope I helped!

You helped a lot, lawls. Thanks for coming back and posting how you take your notes. At the Tablet Forum at amazon, there are a bunch of students who are looking for "tablets I can take class notes on"; that forum is generic and not specific to ANY tablet manufacturer. What's always recommended are some off brands I've never heard of that are really like drawing pads, not an iPad or Galaxy device. Good information you gave, regarding the actual app names.

What I've decided to do, regarding "Should I or Shouldn't I?" purchase any iPad along with my Galaxy, is to create a folder on my PC called "Apple Apps." In that, I sent links to myself of every single Apple app that I've read about and desire; so far I have three: The Recipe Box; The Elements; and a wicked cool app on dinosaurs from National Geographic, I believe. When I reach some yet undetermined number of Apple apps that will never appear on Android, then I'll know that an iPad is in my future. It will be interesting to see how fast...or slow...they accumulate in that folder. Oh, remembered a 4th app: iBirds, I think it's called. (and thanks for the heads up about The Elements crashing!)

Since I do NOT know anything about the Apple Store, if I download some Apple driver, is there a dedicated App Store that I can look in? Science and Cooking are my weaknesses and Android sucks at both, sadly.

lawls

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
You helped a lot, lawls. Thanks for coming back and posting how you take your notes. At the Tablet Forum at amazon, there are a bunch of students who are looking for "tablets I can take class notes on"; that forum is generic and not specific to ANY tablet manufacturer. What's always recommended are some off brands I've never heard of that are really like drawing pads, not an iPad or Galaxy device. Good information you gave, regarding the actual app names.

What I've decided to do, regarding "Should I or Shouldn't I?" purchase any iPad along with my Galaxy, is to create a folder on my PC called "Apple Apps." In that, I sent links to myself of every single Apple app that I've read about and desire; so far I have three: The Recipe Box; The Elements; and a wicked cool app on dinosaurs from National Geographic, I believe. When I reach some yet undetermined number of Apple apps that will never appear on Android, then I'll know that an iPad is in my future. It will be interesting to see how fast...or slow...they accumulate in that folder. Oh, remembered a 4th app: iBirds, I think it's called. (and thanks for the heads up about The Elements crashing!)

Since I do NOT know anything about the Apple Store, if I download some Apple driver, is there a dedicated App Store that I can look in? Science and Cooking are my weaknesses and Android sucks at both, sadly.

Do you mean angry birds?
And if you just go to iTunes, then iTunes store you can see all the apps available on iPad. You can even add some to a wish list so you can see the ones you like when you're deciding

Cahow

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
lawls: Nope. Not Angry Birds, the game. iBird is a Birding Guide that is supposed to be beyond brilliant for people who bird. LOL

And thanks for the heads up about going to the iTunes store. The fact that they have a Wish List makes it even nicer! It helps, from the various posts in this thread, to know that many posters have other products other than Apple so they are Equal Opportunity Shoppers. I suppose if I buy the cheapest iPad for home use, I won't have to do too much justification. ~snicker~

aimon

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
I had a hard time justifying an iPad and only purchased my first gen last week when I could get a good deal. My main app is iScore for baseball. I kept all of my son's games on the same app on my iPhone last year but I always had to have my glasses with me. Keeping score on the iPad is going to be fantastic! Since he plays 80+ games a season my eyes are going to love it. My son likes the games and Garage Band and it's so much handier for email and surfing than my laptop. Mine just has wireless, so I tether off my iPhone if I'm in an area without a hotspot.

Cahow

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, aimon! What is so nice about the honest responses in this thread is that when I accumulate enough of them, I plan on copying ALL the uses that you've shared with me, and starting an iPad Use thread at that cooking site. Money is NOT the issue with that crowd; geeze, they're always going on cruises and half of them have second homes. It's "Old Dog/New Trick" syndrome; they want to be convinced that a new piece of technology can really improve their life.

The Kindle is the only device that is making headway over there. We have an extremely active Book Club and many members have difficulty reading, even with glasses. They also live in areas with only one library or abroad, and can't get the books that are recommended. So, having the Kindle to enlarge the type and download the latest book has become a very good sales point.

Many of them have grandchildren so anything to do with kids will also be a big sales point, like the iScore app that aimon suggested.

LOVE how creative everyone is with how they are using their iPads. Very personal, how they are adapting it to their lifestyle and far less gaming than the news articles imply.

Cahow

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I use mine for both entertainment and business including Internet, youtube, movies, books, games and photos! Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks, Catherineluo, for adding to this topic. Google did a Q & A from all tablet users, to see how THEY were using their devices. Sadly, from my perspective, 84% of tablet owners bought them to "game". :( I don't begrudge anyone using their tablet as they best see fit but what bothers me about this useage knowledge, is that future manufacturers will see that and think "Oh! Screw business owners, we gotta gear our tablets to Game Boyz."

What I find odd is despite the millions of iPads sold and the so-so numbers for the Galaxy tablet (which I own) I've never seen either of them "out in public". When I go to client's or sales reps with my tablet, people get google-eyed and begin to drool, just seeing a tablet in real life. So, I guess these 84% gamers never leave the house. LOL

Glad to hear that there's a few of us, pushing the envelope, and using this mega-tool (the tablet) for pleasure AND business! Last week, I upgraded 4 accounts proposals on the tablet and netted myself a $3,000.00 bonus! How's THAT for a business tool? Couldn't have done it without the use of my tablet, either; paid for itself 4 fold.

thinkTwice

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I use it for the following:
-surf the web
-reference- for work I have a lot of pdf files, books in pdf files. Instead of carrying the amazon forest in my backpack, I have my iPad
-eReader- iBooks blows, Kindle rocks
-WSJ subscription
-I have some games on it, but nothing too significant

I haven't been using it as much since I got my new 13" macbook pro... but that's because it's still a new gadget.

Crisdean

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
My iPad which is the WiFi version only serves me as YouTube/BBC iPlayer TV and I'm emailing and surfing the web on it mostly. My laptop is seldomly used as I don't use any applications at the moment that would require my laptop apart from test driving new Linux distributions.

So it's purely for home and I'm happy with it. Using the iPad now and no plans of upgrading.

Yankeexpress

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
GPS is the killer app for sailors. Don't need to be in cellular range to get GPS reception. The app called iNavx is awesome. Download NOAA charts prior to leaving on a voyage and the iPad becomes a handheld chart plotter.

Put the iPad in a sealed, clear ziplock bag (the touch screen works fine thru the plastic) and you're good to go anywhere rain or shine.

But remember...you don't get GPS with a wi-fi only iPad.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I use it as a travel computer (with stand and bluetooth keyboard). Much easier to travel with than a notebook.

I use it as an entertainment device, around the house - surf the web, watch a movie. play a game.

I use it is a communications device - check email and the various social networks like twitter and facebook.

I use it as an e-reader for comic books. Got most of my collections in digital format.

And, of course, I use it to review iPad apps.

Chris

merkdevine

Sep 14, 2008
Visit site
I would never dream of using a different tablet than my iPad 2. The UI and ease of use are so far ahead of what other companies are doing. I tend to use my iPad 2 far more than my iPhone 4 and MB Pro, whether gaming, using facetime, surfing the web, twitter, or the countless apps that are optimized for the iPad. I think its a tired argument to say that apple markets the iPad as a device "for fun" only and 99% of people I encounter in seattle(which is a big microsoft and amazon town obviously) would only purchase a iPad because they see that apple is leaps and bounds ahead of any other tablet. I mean do you see anyone on the andriod and webOS forums trolling about apple?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR