I was disappointed with the iPad 2

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
You know, I was standing in line with a black 64 Gig Wi-Fi iPad 2 in-hand, all ready to purchase it. That is, until I got to play with the one on the display next to the purchase line. I was so disappointed with the cameras that I got pissed off and left. I mean, come the flip on Apple, the friggen iPad is a flagship device. Its camera should at LEAST have been as good as the iPhone 4, if not better, but it was far worse. That was really the last straw that killed the deal for me.

I consider myself an amateur photographer, and I also like to shoot videos of all kinds of random things, but the iPad 2 was a complete failure of photographic bliss. A piss-poor excuse for a camera and video recording device. A 1280 x 720 digital camera? Freaking pathetic.

I have an iPhone 4, which already has 720p video recording, and also the increased capability of a 5 Megapixel camera. I would have expected the iPad 2 to at least match that, especially when I consider the $699+tax I was about to drop on it.

I would have been content with an iPad 2 if it had a 5MP rear facing camera too, and would have been even more exstatic if it had 1080p video recording. But, unfortunately, it looks like my hopes and dreams will have to wait another year.

Here is what would seal the deal for me.

- 1080p recording at 30fps (and hopefully 60fps, but that's probably not going to happen for a few years.
- At least a 5MP camera. I would actually like something around 6MP with better HDR capability and a few more manual controls, like ISO and aperture adjustments.
- Retina display.
- 128Gigs of Memory.

Reactions: west3man

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Maybe you'd be better off with a FRIGGING CAMERA that does what you want rather than trying to make one device be the jack of all trades. A jack of all trades is a master of none. It should be all about using the right tool for the job. An iPad should not be the first tool of choice for someone wanting to be serious about taking good pictures or video. That's what cameras are for.

SMH :(

Livett

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Freaking pathetic.

Bit like your thread/rant.

Why the hell would you want the iPad to do what a smaller and cheaper device (i'm talking about a digital camera here, just so you know) will do so much better?

I would bet an iPad 2 that if you went to a shoot with a bunch of other "amatuer" photographers and you pulled out an iPad 2 you'd get ****ing laughed off the set.

At least you can spend that money you saved on it though on a real camera, one that's designed for this sort of thing.

Good luck though with what ever you do.

Acint1924

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't know how many times this is going to be repeated on this forum but....

The cameras on the iPad are meant for FaceTime, NOT photography!!!

I still don't understand why anyone would want to take photos with something as big as the iPad.

Smh

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
Maybe you'd be better off with a FRIGGING CAMERA that does what you want rather than trying to make one device be the jack of all trades. A jack of all trades is a master of none. It should be all about using the right tool for the job. An iPad should not be the first tool of choice for someone wanting to be serious about taking good pictures or video. That's what cameras are for.

Bit like your thread/rant.

Why the hell would you want the iPad to do what a smaller and cheaper device (i'm talking about a digital camera here, just so you know) will do so much better?

I would bet an iPad 2 that if you went to a shoot with a bunch of other "amatuer" photographers and you pulled out an iPad 2 you'd get ****ing laughed off the set.

Thanks for both replies. I never said I wanted to use it as a primary camera. I already have a Nikon DSLR that shoots 1080p video and high quality photos, but I primarily use my iPhone 4 as a casual point and shoot for when I don't want to lug the big boy around.

I guess the point is that if I'm going to pay for a device that is essentially a larger version of an iPod Touch, and also the iPhone 4 without the phone, I would at least appreciate having the same capabilities of the iPhone 4 (or better considering it's a year later), just on the chance that I would need those capabilities and didn't have my iPhone available for whatever reason.

As far as getting laughed off the stage... people said the same thing about cellphones before. Then look at the iPhone 4 with 720p HD video recording. There were TV commercials filmed using only the iPhone 4 and iMovie. The iPad 2 can offer amateur film makers the opportunity to shoot 720p HD video AND do the editing ON the iPad 2. It's an all-in-one kind of thing that might save some student somewhere a lot of money. But, I still feel that Apple is being left behind in that they're still sticking with 720p, even though 1080p is now the dominant standard.

I didn't buy the iPad 1 because it didn't have a camera, and I REALLY wanted to get an iPad 2, but I felt that the camera on my iPhone was superior, and that really ticked me off when I was standing there in-store ready to pick one up. Sorry it was a rant, but a rant it was. lol.

Maybe I'll be truly happy when they come out with an iPad that will run both iOS and OSX at the same time, that has a retina display and has 1080p@60 fps recording while also producing nice still images, and be a really nice all-in-one device that meets the more casual needs. I think Leanna said it on her camera review that the digital zoom was simply awful. I agree, and it was enough to keep me from buying the iPad 2.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I don't know how many times this is going to be repeated on this forum but....

The cameras on the iPad are meant for FaceTime, NOT photography!!!

I still don't understand why anyone would want to take photos with something as big as the iPad.

Smh

Exactly correct. I'm not sure why people are flipping out over the cameras when they are not meant to be carried around for taking pictures. Buy a camera or use an iPhone 4 if you want to take pictures.

Reactions: Msvoluptous#IM

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
It's hard to believe the lengths people will go to defend these cameras. Even the video is poor on these. IMO, when you put a feature on a device, do it right. We've already discussed how taking a simple picture is just one use of the cameras. There's many other uses. Even Facetime is a bit poor looking IMO.

Although i would disagree with the OP on which is the flagship device. They both are with similar prices.

Acint1924

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
It's hard to believe the lengths people will go to defend these cameras. Even the video is poor on these. IMO, when you put a feature on a device, do it right. We've already discussed how taking a simple picture is just one use of the cameras. There's many other uses. Even Facetime is a bit poor looking IMO.

Although i would disagree with the OP on which is the flagship device. They both are with similar prices.

What people are failing to realize is apples goal is to give you the best device it possible can at a price point that it thinks the majority of consumers will be comfortable with. They already giving the consumer much much more than any other company can at $499 for the cheapest model. If putting in the same quality camera as the iPhone 4 made the price $599, would it be worth it?

I don't know the answer to that but I'm sure apple made a conscious decision when deciding on the low quality cameras.

In my opinion it makes sense but if you don't care about everything else apple gave you for the price they did and want a better camera; buy the Xoom.

Reactions: pjtiern

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
What people are failing to realize is apples goal is to give you the best device it possible can at a price point that it thinks the majority of consumers will be comfortable with. They already giving the consumer much much more than any other company can at $499 for the cheapest model. If putting in the same quality camera as the iPhone 4 made the price $599, would it be worth it?

I don't know the answer to that but I'm sure apple made a conscious decision when deciding on the low quality cameras.

In my opinion it makes sense but if you don't care about everything else apple gave you for the price they did and want a better camera; buy the Xoom.

+1 Well said. Fact is people will always find something to complain about. It's just human nature. To each their own.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
While the iPad's camera will never get as close to a DSLR it will improve over time. Look at the iPhone. Took them 4 years to get a flash and 5mp on it.

The iPad's camera is just like a typical laptop webcam.

Mella

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Well, agreed with ACint24.
Just learn and know the detailed specs before you buy the device...
If want a photographic device and take pictures, then turn to a camera.

JasonG

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
i see your point with the cameras on the ipad 2, and agree to an extent. i dont think its that big of a deal, but not to put a better camera on it doesnt seem to much like a good idea. people will take pictures with the ipad 2, because well, it has a camera, and it can take pictures. and for those who arent tech nerds they are gonna be like wtf why does this camera suck so bad?

not a big deal, it does the purpose, and yes i would laugh at someone taking a picture with an ipad, but the fact that it will be done, should of influenced apple to put a slightly better camera on it. at least what was on the 3gs

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I totally disagree with the original poster. Apple simply did not put these cameras on the iPad 2 for taking pictures like you would with a phone or digital camera. It was clearly designed for FaceTime.

You likely won't ever get an iPad based on what would seal the deal for you. So you wanted one and the cameras are a real big deal for you. Unfortunately you are very much so in the minority. you did the right thing, I doubt Apple will miss your sale. That is the reality! Some one out there that got the one you were going to buy is a happy camper. LOL

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
You know, I was standing in line with a black 64 Gig Wi-Fi iPad 2 in-hand, all ready to purchase it. That is, until I got to play with the one on the display next to the purchase line. I was so disappointed with the cameras that I got pissed off and left. I mean, come the flip on Apple, the friggen iPad is a flagship device. Its camera should at LEAST have been as good as the iPhone 4, if not better, but it was far worse. That was really the last straw that killed the deal for me.

I consider myself an amateur photographer, and I also like to shoot videos of all kinds of random things, but the iPad 2 was a complete failure of photographic bliss. A piss-poor excuse for a camera and video recording device. A 1280 x 720 digital camera? Freaking pathetic.

I have an iPhone 4, which already has 720p video recording, and also the increased capability of a 5 Megapixel camera. I would have expected the iPad 2 to at least match that, especially when I consider the $699+tax I was about to drop on it.

I would have been content with an iPad 2 if it had a 5MP rear facing camera too, and would have been even more exstatic if it had 1080p video recording. But, unfortunately, it looks like my hopes and dreams will have to wait another year.

- 1080p recording at 30fps (and hopefully 60fps, but that's probably not going to happen for a few years.
- At least a 5MP camera. I would actually like something around 6MP with better HDR capability and a few more manual controls, like ISO and aperture adjustments.
- Retina display.
- 128Gigs of Memory.

At least you realized it before buying the iPad 2. Unlike everyone else who runs out an just buys and then finds out the iPhone or iDeviceX doesn't do this that their Razr has done for Z amount of years and then they complain up the whazoo. I give you props for not being a mindless zombie and complaining that it doesn't meet your needs before buying.

Caribou

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
The poor quality iPad camera isn't quite the disappointment that the poor quality iPod Touch camera was, but here are some use cases that including a better camera (such as found in the iPhone 4) would have enabled:

- business apps, like scanning PDF's (and faxes) on the go with apps like ScannerPro, etc.

- other vertical market apps where the *awkwardness* of a "giant camera" is offset by simply HAVING a good camera for documentation or inspection photos, etc.

- my mom being able to enjoy photography again (old people have failing eyesight: an "arms length huge viewfinder" is a BIG DEAL).

None of these apps are strictly impossible with a low-res camera (except scanning), and they may not be "for the masses", but these low res cameras just don't seem up to Apple's usual standards.

Reactions: cardfan

Link

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I had planned to get an ipad 2 because I get excited when new products are released. However, after I read my current ipad would get the 4.3 update and the fact that I paid $729 for this one less than a year ago, I decided not to buy one. I went to the Apple store to see one and really wasn't overly impressed with the new one enough to want one but I think it makes sense to update the product. I still recommend ipads to everyone because I love mine. I also like my 3G data plan which was one of the main reasons that I wanted an ipad to begin with.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site

- Retina display.
- 128Gigs of Memory.

LOL ... So wait, you didn't read any tech blogs, got into line, waited had the iPad 2 in your hands? Then backed out after playing with Demo Unit? Reviews of the cameras were released prior to the actual iPad 2 release, you didn't take the time to at least glance at a spec sheet prior to waiting? ... Hmmm, it really doesn't add up, however take away the introduction BS it does make for a very nice rant, and I do agree.. They could have put better cameras in this flagship device.

LOL .. Still laughing at the introduction, heck you could have walked out the door and sold it for a $300 premium or more.

Palm-a-PREciation

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site

- Retina display.
- 128Gigs of Memory.

Sorry you were disappointed, but you probably made someone else's day by putting it back, making it available for someone else to purchase!!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro