I was disappointed with the iPad 2

xxraffyxx

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
those features will be out on ipad 3 lol. I thought the camera wasn't all that bad, should of been the same as the iphone 4. Taking pictures could of been nicer, but I video recording was pretty good.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
those features will be out on ipad 3 lol. I thought the camera wasn't all that bad, should of been the same as the iphone 4. Taking pictures could of been nicer, but I video recording was pretty good.

I disagree... do you really want to hold up a 8x10 "camera" to take a picture? Not me... I agree with others - if you want a digital camera, buy one...

alexbr91

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I was also disappointed with the camera quality. I know its not meant to take still but even the video is bad quality, Apple could of put better cameras on it without raising the price point.

Mk4Jetta

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I think they put the poor quality camera in so that the next model they can put a better one in and say its a better device. They want people to buy the next one too.

Reactions: JasonG

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
When I want to take pictures I'm going to take them with something comfortable in taking pictures to begin with. Who wants to hold an iPad up to take a picture?

It would only make sense to me to use my iPhone 4 (which takes the best pics of any smartphone out there) or my Canon Rebel t2i .. two devices designed/properly used to take pictures.

A tablet is not something that should logically be used to take pictures.

Reactions: OTACORB

AppleFan

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I honstly believe for a device in this range of price, it is an amazing deal ... Many things would seal the deal for me, however, I guess I'm fine with where things are now in terms of money value. Maybe in iPad 3 things will work out better in terms of HD video recording

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
When I want to take pictures I'm going to take them with something comfortable in taking pictures to begin with. Who wants to hold an iPad up to take a picture?

It would only make sense to me to use my iPhone 4 (which takes the best pics of any smartphone out there) or my Canon Rebel t2i .. two devices designed/properly used to take pictures.

A tablet is not something that should logically be used to take pictures.

I see we're still trying to rationalize bottom of the barrel cameras. No one is suggesting you take your ipad on a photo shoot.

People have tried to chime in on how better quality cameras could be used. Or see what kind of apps devs can develop on the ipad for them. But you all insist on worrying about what you would look like taking a pic. Pretty stupid..

Reactions: west3man

stkywik

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
To the OP and those complaining about camera quality- I'm sorry you were disappointed. However, you were not disappointed by Apple, but by your own unrealistic expectations. As it has been said a number of times in this thread alone, the cameras are primarily for Facetime and nothing more.

I myself was disappointed by the lack of retina display, but it didn't stop me from getting an iPad 2. I understand and accept that making a screen of that size with that high of a pixel density wasn't a realistic option for this iteration of the iPad. I hope to see it in the future because an iPad with the clarity of an iPhone screen would be a thing of true beauty.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
To the OP and those complaining about camera quality- I'm sorry you were disappointed. However, you were not disappointed by Apple, but by your own unrealistic expectations. As it has been said a number of times in this thread alone, the cameras are primarily for Facetime and nothing more.

Yep, don't blame Apple. Blame yourself for having the unrealistic expectation that the camera wouldn't be garbage :p

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Yep, don't blame Apple. Blame yourself for having the unrealistic expectation that the camera wouldn't be garbage :p

Or you could actually pay attention to what he said and understand that the only reason the cameras exist is for Facetime. If they had wanted to add cameras that were actually for taking pictures, they would have. But they didn't, because that's not what they're intended for.

P@t

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Gotta hold something back for the next iPad. I bet we see an upgrade to the camera in the next version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Or you could actually pay attention to what he said and understand that the only reason the cameras exist is for Facetime. If they had wanted to add cameras that were actually for taking pictures, they would have. But they didn't, because that's not what they're intended for.

If not intended for pics or videos, then why have a camera app? Why not just facetime?

I've tried a few scanner apps on ipad 2 (that work well on iphone) and the ipad camera isn't really useful for that purpose. Though the ipad does create a lot of shadow given its size..a flash would be preferable.

JHBThree

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
If not intended for pics or videos, then why have a camera app? Why not just facetime?

I've tried a few scanner apps on ipad 2 (that work well on iphone) and the ipad camera isn't really useful for that purpose. Though the ipad does create a lot of shadow given its size..a flash would be preferable.

It isn't the sensor, its the fact that you're trying to use a 10 inch tablet as a camera. I have a fourth generation iPod Touch and it scans documents just as well as the iPhone 4 did.

As for your first question: If they didn't, you'd be on here *****ing that there wasn't a camera app included. Its a no-win situation for them. (and don't try and say 'well they should have just included the iPhone's camera, because we know for a FACT that the case is too thin to support it)

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
It isn't the sensor, its the fact that you're trying to use a 10 inch tablet as a camera. I have a fourth generation iPod Touch and it scans documents just as well as the iPhone 4 did.

As for your first question: If they didn't, you'd be on here *****ing that there wasn't a camera app included. Its a no-win situation for them. (and don't try and say 'well they should have just included the iPhone's camera, because we know for a FACT that the case is too thin to support it)

Whatever makes you feel better :) I'm sure we'll see improvements in ipad 3.

Reactions: west3man

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
I shouldn't be surprised at the quality of discourse, but sadly, I am. It's too bad people cant disagree with the op without claiming the he (?) and those who agree with him don't actually have decent reasons for having certain preferences and expectations. Naw. It's got to be that we just want something to complain about.

And yet I see little about the lack of information available at after the iPad announcement about the quality of the cameras. We knew about video quality, but all the sites I follow were wondering about the quality of the still photos.

No wonder Apple announced it a week and a half before it's availability. That makes it hard for the shortcomings to float to the surface and overshadow the gloss and shine of smart covers that over little protection for the front, none for the back...but at least they're pretty and clever.

It's a nice device, but let's not get so caught up in the hype that we can't even discuss its shortcomings without saying things like "Yes, it has a camera, but it wasn't meant for taking pictures."

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
I see we're still trying to rationalize bottom of the barrel cameras. No one is suggesting you take your ipad on a photo shoot.

People have tried to chime in on how better quality cameras could be used. Or see what kind of apps devs can develop on the ipad for them. But you all insist on worrying about what you would look like taking a pic. Pretty stupid..

The personal attacks need to stop. This is your last warning.

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I have to say that reading the posts a few people seem to forget that it's a forum and it's just an opinion. It's one which everyone has a right to have and express. This doesn't change the actual device, just because Tom says device A's camera sucks doesn't mean they suck it just means they suck to Tom. So I think it's good that the OP figured it out before he bought it because it means one less bad critic and one more available device for someone who really wants it.

The problem I also see is the idea that the iPad is a big iPod Touch or a big iPhone. They do overlap and do look alike but they have differen pros and cons as well as different uses. I do have to say I'm an amateur photographer with a Nikon DSLR I think I've taken a handful of pictures with my iPhone. I don't care how good it is, and if it now has flash, the zoom is garbage. So I use my DSLR or my P&S if it's a quick shot. If it's in the minute and quality really doesn't matter I'll take out the iPhone. I think it's a mistake to expect to use the iPad especially if you already have a cameraphone which is smaller and lighter.

west3man

May 16, 2006
Visit site
I don't fully agree with what you said, but I certainly respect the way you said it.

I have often wanted the photos that are on my phone or point-and-shoot cameras...or even my computer... To be on my iPad, for one reason or another. There are ways to make that happen but none of them are as quick and convenient as just taking the picture WITH the iPad.

Whether it's a picture that needs to be small enough for eBay, but good enough to attract buyers or photos that I take at a family event and then immediately want to easily show TO the family or just not wanting to have to be at the mercy of easily lost, over-priced accessories when I want to go from recognizing a Kodak moment to manipulating that stolen moment on a capable device.

There are other options, but I still feel that the iPad would be the best option in just enough situations to warrant a better camera (IF there's going to be a camera, at all, in it's 2nd generation) on a device that can cost as much as almost $900 after tax and before accessories.

I have to say that reading the posts a few people seem to forget that it's a forum and it's just an opinion. It's one which everyone has a right to have and express. This doesn't change the actual device, just because Tom says device A's camera sucks doesn't mean they suck it just means they suck to Tom. So I think it's good that the OP figured it out before he bought it because it means one less bad critic and one more available device for someone who really wants it.

The problem I also see is the idea that the iPad is a big iPod Touch or a big iPhone. They do overlap and do look alike but they have differen pros and cons as well as different uses. I do have to say I'm an amateur photographer with a Nikon DSLR I think I've taken a handful of pictures with my iPhone. I don't care how good it is, and if it now has flash, the zoom is garbage. So I use my DSLR or my P&S if it's a quick shot. If it's in the minute and quality really doesn't matter I'll take out the iPhone. I think it's a mistake to expect to use the iPad especially if you already have a cameraphone which is smaller and lighter.

OTACORB

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
In took a few pictures today while outdoors and also did a couple of videos. I think they look just fine given that we are talking about a tablet. I am totally happy and feel that some expectations will never be met. However, the majority of us are fine with the cameras.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR