Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default Can I restore an iPad 4.2.1 backup onto the iPad 2 with 4.3?

I've already wiped a bunch of stuff off of my original iPad in preparation of giving it to my wife and daughter. I did a backup before removing anything but it occurred to me that perhaps I should have upgraded to 4.3 and backing that up before removing anything since the iPad 2 will have 4.3. Will I have a problem restoring the backup that was done at 4.2.1 onto my new iPad 2 running 4.3 tomorrow? I believe it should be ok because because it should just restore the apps and app status but there could be some settings conflicts. Hopefully Apple is smart enough to take this case into account.

What do you guys think?

-Greg
    iMore Actual

Global Posts
    2,373 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Should be fine.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,013 Global Posts

Huh? You can restore to an older iOS version if you are jailbroken and have your SHSH saved with Cydia and/or you backed them up with TinyUmbrella. Did you mean your current (original) iPad that you want to restore to 4.2.1? I don't see how it would be possible with the iPad 2 being that 4.3 is the first iOS version that it will have ever seen. What am I missing here?
    15" rMBP 2.6/16/256, iPad, iPhone
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iPhone Nanite

I want to restore my iPad 1 backup onto my new iPad 2 so I don't loose any data (game saves, documents, ...) but my iPad 1 backup is from a different OP version than the iPad 2 has. This has nothing to do with jailbreaks.

I think that backup just saves settings and applications plus data. The restore does not restore the OS. The only concern would be that os settings conflict or something but I would think Apple would account for that.