WSJ On iPad 2

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
WSJ a few days ago reported that production of the 2 is underway. It also reported that 2 will be a minor upgrade but 3 will be a major. This follows other Apple patterns in products.

WSJ has been pretty good in the past on things Apple such as reporting accurately the release of the Verizon iPhone so I take this report seriously.

The new iPad, according to the WSJ, will be lighter, have a front facing camera, and be slightly faster in process as well as graphics processing. There will be no upgrade in screen res or the increase will be very slight.

While 'lighter' is a benefit, nothing else is. I'm pretty happy that I will get another year out of my V1. If the screen res had been much higher - even if short of retina - it'd have been a mandatory purchase for me. As it is, nothing is there worth the cost of selling my V1 and buying the V2.

Whew!

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I've said all along I am passing on the iPad 2 and waiting for the 3. I dont need a new iPad every year like I need a new iPhone

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking of getting the XOOM anyway. The specs are pretty cool and its nice to see a OS designed for tablets with a GUI made for tablet use, not just a few stock apps (meaning out of the box, not counting the app store)

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, the specs on the xoom are wonderful except the screen res isn't any higher than the iPad. Other than that, it seem to leave the iPad behind pretty far if the specs are realized in actual use. I like the Android 3 OS and the real MT which it may have.

I am curious about battery life. One thing I really like about the iPad is no battery worries. We'll be flying for 7 hours soon (with layover) & I'm confident I'll have the battery to make the trip. The faster processor & true MT in the xoom may drastically shorten the battery life.

If you do get it, I'll be interested in reading your report.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Well, the specs on the xoom are wonderful except the screen res isn't any higher than the iPad. Other than that, it seem to leave the iPad behind pretty far if the specs are realized in actual use. I like the Android 3 OS and the real MT which it may have.

I am curious about battery life. One thing I really like about the iPad is no battery worries. We'll be flying for 7 hours soon (with layover) & I'm confident I'll have the battery to make the trip. The faster processor & true MT in the xoom may drastically shorten the battery life.

If you do get it, I'll be interested in reading your report.

I have the xoom if you have any questions. I have had it since launch.

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Is there a place for the micro sd card? I heard a rumor that the ones being shipped now will have to return to Moto for a hw overhaul to get this slot or maybe the electrics to run the slot.

Me? I'm thrilled that we have a serious competitor to the iPad. Unless the iPad two has a much better display or is 30% of the mass of the 1, I plan on skipping the 2. If the Moto product is as strong as some say it is, it'll light a fire under AAPL to make the 3 with some of the 4's planned features.

Well, good. The fight is on for real now.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Is there a place for the micro sd card? I heard a rumor that the ones being shipped now will have to return to Moto for a hw overhaul to get this slot or maybe the electrics to run the slot.

Me? I'm thrilled that we have a serious competitor to the iPad. Unless the iPad two has a much better display or is 30% of the mass of the 1, I plan on skipping the 2. If the Moto product is as strong as some say it is, it'll light a fire under AAPL to make the 3 with some of the 4's planned features.

Well, good. The fight is on for real now.

The SD card slot is not active right now. A software update will enable it. What you will gave to do is send it in for the free 4g LTE upgrade.

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, that implies its sorta a beta product but leading edge buyers will probably like that of it rather than dislike it. I really envy you your openness rather than being tied to a company which is so controlling like Apple is. I mean, the Flash deal is all malarkey. It's just Jobs trying for payback on some old grievance rather than anything wrong with Flash.

Of course, OTOH, my side sure has the apps. Well, if this hits, Honeycomb apps will follow very soon.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I tested out the xoom at a Verizon store yesterday. The iPad was right next to it, and it was pretty neat. To be it looked so far more advanced then the iPad. The iPad is still good, don't get me wrong, but the xoom seemed much more advanced. Does it have a few draw backs, of course.

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Besides the lack of many apps for the xoom, what did you see as a drawback? Sure took long enough for a real iPad competitor to show up I mean it's not like the iPad was a secret before it showed up.

anon(52425)

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Lack of apps is annoying but the same thing went down with the I pad at launch. Another gripe that i have is that I have t use it in landscape. Using it in portraiy is just weird for me. With the ipad, I ONLY used it in portrait as it felt more natural.

Flash doesn't bother me one bit. The SD issue is also not a big deal since the included 32 is plenty. But it will be nice once its enabled.

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the SD card is a zero to me but I would like Flash and also FF as a browser over Safari. I find Safari ok to good but FF would be best. I have grown very used to tabs over the way Safari iPad works.

The thing about iPad apps was that they appeared so quickly due both to fantastic sales and also, I suppose (but don't know) that the port was fairly easy from iPhone to iPad. Number of apps is probably a smoke screen, though. What 95% of the people want is the major apps being available.

Some maybe major iPad apps I find worse than no app. Like the IMDB app isn't as easy or as good to use for my IMDB browsing as Safari itself. Beats me why there is even an app for this and others like the WSJ app which again, I deleted and use Safari.

I would miss the easy portrait orientation, though. I use my iPad mostly in portrait.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Besides the lack of many apps for the xoom, what did you see as a drawback? Sure took long enough for a real iPad competitor to show up I mean it's not like the iPad was a secret before it showed up.

Well given its still new the lack of app is not one of them. The plastic back was one of them, but I guess it could take time to get used to. I think one of the issues is the SD card issue and the fact you have to send it in to get the LTE swaped. I think the main issue is the price and the fact there is no wifi only version.

Don't forget it didn't take till November till the iPad could really take off with the 4.2, even if a ton of apps were out.

slide

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I agree. I have a WiFi iPad and never miss the 3g. Wherever I take my iPad I seem to find WiFi which is what I expected & why I bought it as WiFi only. Probably given a bit of time, we'll see a xoom Wifi only too.

The only real downsides I've heard about the xoom compared to my V1 iPad is that it's no lighter and the cost. We had some discount card from AAPL so my iPad only cost something like $399 & gee, I've gotten that much use out of it in the first month so I'm cruising from now on. I'm pretty tired of these contracts which, in the end, cost thousands to fulfill.

Still, like I said before, the xoom is the only reasonable alternative to the iPad and for that I'm really happy to see it. Light a fire under AAPL and we're all better off for it.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR