Get an iPad or hold out for iPad 2?
I'm yearning for an iPad and with Xmas right around the corner, I could very well end up with one in a week. But, having read all these articles around the web about the iPad 2 shipping in the next month or two, I'm having strong reservations. Just curious if anyone else is having the same problem or if anyone has any advice, thanks!
- 12-17-2010, 01:58 PM #2
given its only a few months till the second generation ipad comes out, I'd wait unless you plan on selling it (trust me, there will be someone who would want the first generation if the second generation does not live up to their standards)
- 12-17-2010, 03:52 PM #3iPhone Newbie
- 13 Posts
i would say if your are gonna hold up then it will be for atleast 4 month or more.
we only have heard rumores about ipad 2. no official information.
secondly when the ipad 2 comes out it will be buggy so its best to wait until the second batch comes out after release. that another month or so. so your looking about 5 month from now assuming they do have and ipad 2 ready for release.
i would say go for an ipad now and when ipad 2 comes out sell of the ipad and buy the ipad 2.
that my opinion.
- 12-17-2010, 04:01 PM #4
buggy would mean software, but thats almost always fixed in a software update. Besides the iPhone, there was never a real issue with Apple hardware. Few minor progrmasm here and there, but almost always the hardware is flawless, unless you got a lemon.
Yes its "rumores" but theres no dobut that there will be an iPad 2.
- 12-17-2010, 05:07 PM #5
I am hearing iPad released from Foxconn in February to Apple. Apple will do final checks on software and any other problems. It is said to be released in April. Supposedly what the new version will have is the retina screen, dual camera's, and a bigger processor, more memory (128 GB) and some other minor updates. There was one rumor of a regular usb connection added for flash drives. Again a lot is speculation, but the April has been what I have been hearing all along. So if you want to wait till April to get one, that is up to you.
Last edited by dfine1966; 12-17-2010 at 05:19 PM.
- 12-17-2010, 07:04 PM #6
"Retna display" won't happen. Though I could see them added a higher color screen in.
The whole USB deal is to please the British since they want everything to be the same. From what I heard Jobs is not too happy about it (just one more reason why its bad for the goverment to stick their nose in to technology or have say on what you can and can't do)
- 12-17-2010, 08:41 PM #7
mtmjr90, well, there really will be an iPad 2 released, but as said, there has no official information, though news said that Foxconn would start shipping to Apple in February, so we'll get the real iPad 2 till April at least or later.
So if I were u, I would keep the one now and wait then untill the 2Gen out, sell it.
- 12-22-2010, 11:06 AM #8
- 12-22-2010, 11:53 AM #9iPhone Nanite
- 2 Posts
to buy or not to buy
I am waiting to see the real features of the Ipad2. But I will probably get a 1st gen Ipad because they are so cool. Also what the price of the Ipad 2 is going to be and see if Apple drops the price of the 1st gen. I have been patient this long I think I can hold out a little longer.
- 12-22-2010, 04:12 PM #10
- 12-25-2010, 01:39 AM #11
- 12-25-2010, 02:44 AM #12
- 12-27-2010, 01:47 PM #13
- 12-27-2010, 03:39 PM #14
- 12-27-2010, 04:50 PM #15
- 01-02-2011, 04:11 PM #16
Wait for the used market to drop further on 1st Gen iPads and pick one up until you are ready for a 2nd Gen. Seriously skipping a model year isn't going to be that big of a deal. If you have an iPhone you have facetime already. Now if Apple would only live up to their original announcement of allowing facetime be a bit more open, but I know Apple doesn't make money on the service (which they could) they make money on the hardware. Licensing the API to Skype and Fring would bring more revenue for those who will NOT switch platforms.
- 01-02-2011, 05:06 PM #17
- 01-03-2011, 10:23 AM #18
- 01-05-2011, 08:27 AM #19
- 01-05-2011, 11:33 AM #20
At best, the iPad 2 is vaporware (no announcement, no price, no delivery date, no one taking orders), at worst mere wishful thinking. I never recommend that one wait for another generation. If and when Apple offers another product competitive with the iPad, I will buy it. Some lucky niece or nephew will get the old one.
Enjoy now, upgrade later.
- 01-05-2011, 04:49 PM #21TiPb Fourm Staff
- 1,695 Posts
I would definitely wait.
iPad 2 is almost like a given thing.. in a sense it will definitely be announced in the next few months with VERY improved features (retina display, etc).
Why get the 1st generation now, and then suffer when trying to resell or waste your money giving it away?
- 01-05-2011, 05:55 PM #22
- 01-05-2011, 06:24 PM #23
- 01-05-2011, 10:59 PM #24
- 01-08-2011, 09:45 PM #25