I have to agree with you. The old design is very dated. I never liked the textures even before iOS 7.
    They can update to improve the basic look with textures and shadows. Flat looks like windows. Boring.
    Ursus Rufus and Spencerdl like this.
    06-11-2016 11:48 AM
    They can update to improve the basic look with textures and shadows. Flat looks like windows. Boring.
    It's the fad. Google is doing the same thing. I'm sure at some point they'll bring back the shadows and add some contrast. It can't get much more minimalist than it is currently.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    06-11-2016 11:51 AM
    I have to agree with you. The old design is very dated. I never liked the textures even before iOS 7.
    Right. If it doesn't have texture, don't make it look like it does. Screens are flat, so flat just makes so much sense. Both Google (cards) and Apple (layers) have figured out how to do flat right (Microsoft played a huge part in the flat trend, but their idea of flat was tasteless).
    Rob Phillips likes this.
    06-11-2016 12:23 PM
    I like the simple flat look a lot. I hope they don't take a step back.
    06-11-2016 12:30 PM
    Dark mode would be nice
    My sentiments exactly. And I also like the flat look.
    06-11-2016 12:37 PM
    I like the simple flat look a lot. I hope they don't take a step back.
    Consumer tastes shift over time. I don't think they'll ever go back to an iOS 6 design but who knows what will happen over an extended period.
    That being said, I hope they don't take a step back either.
    06-11-2016 12:51 PM
    I like the direction they've gone with the more modular & slightly less flat looking Notification Centre/Today view & Control Centre.

The two tone card style Notifications & Today widgets definitely look better than the old ones.

It's nice to see a little bit of customisation in the Today screen even if it's only the ability to remove the travel times that's provided by Apple Maps. I've got Google Maps Installed & use the Travel Times Widget provide by Google Maps instead.

Roland
    07-09-2016 04:46 AM
    Clearly they've stuck with flat, and thank goodness! I couldn't imagine them going back to a pre-iOS 7 design language. Especially not after so few iterations.

The previous design now looks outdated, like others have said. I'm a huge fan of flat & material design.

I'd also love to see round app icons. If you look around elsewhere, you'll see that round icons, etc. are being used a lot. It's where modern design language is headed.
    07-09-2016 10:14 AM
    I hear possible changes, but probably the same yucky flat theme. I still don't like it. I would rather have a new version of iOS 6. I like textures and shadows.
    Wow. So glad I'm not the only one. I still have my old 4S as a backup and it still has iOS 6.1.3. Have had to use it a few times and I always marvel at the beautiful attention to detail and form.
    Those who say it looks dated among other things maybe just haven't studied the fundamentals of aesthetics. One of those basically states that if something looks outdated, just wait a while longer.
    Cheers, Ledsteplin. If there's two of us there's more. And if there's more, there's hope. We'll... Just wait a while longer.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    07-11-2016 12:27 AM
    Wow. So glad I'm not the only one. I still have my old 4S as a backup and it still has iOS 6.1.3. Have had to use it a few times and I always marvel at the beautiful attention to detail and form.
    Those who say it looks dated among other things maybe just haven't studied the fundamentals of aesthetics. One of those basically states that if something looks outdated, just wait a while longer.
    Cheers, Ledsteplin. If there's two of us there's more. And if there's more, there's hope. We'll... Just wait a while longer.
    Make that three. I luv that "dated" look. It has "pizazz" and "personality", not the flat boring look...IMHO.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    07-11-2016 04:29 AM
    I wouldn't be surprised (maybe even delighted) to see circle app design. They use these "bubble" shapes a lot more and I think it would be a nice over haul for something new to look at.

Similar to this... Attachment 105535
    It would not surprise me if we see something like this in the near future since the watch has a circle pattern.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1468348013.969113.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	173.0 KB 
ID:	109159
    07-12-2016 01:24 PM
    Meh, I actually liked the move to a flat design
    07-12-2016 02:25 PM
    Nooooooo
    That is so #Droid ...
    07-12-2016 05:21 PM
    What would be nice is having an option to switch between the flat icons and shiny glass icons. I'd always have shiny glass icons on my screen.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    07-31-2016 12:27 AM
    What would be nice is having an option to switch between the flat icons and shiny glass icons. I'd always have shiny glass icons on my screen.
    Likewise!
    09-08-2016 12:01 AM
40 12