CNN emails not being delivered to iOS devices from iCloud?

katesbb

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Like many of you, I have my Gmail forwarding to my iCloud.com address as a way to "Push" emails from Gmail to my iPhone and iPad. Neither device polls for Gmail directly, they just poll the iCloud account which contains the forwards from Gmail.

It works fine, except for whatever reason no emails from cnn.com (I receive breaking news alerts) are ever delivered to my iPad or iPhone iCloud account. Looking at the iCloud account on my Mac or the iCloud web interface, I see that the CNN emails are there - but they're all automatically filed into a "News" folder under an "iCloud" heading at the bottom of the folder list.

I can't seem to delete the "News" folder, as it seems to be some sort of "Smart Folder" being automatically created at the iCloud side of things. I'm guessing that the CNN emails are being rerouted into that folder at iCloud and thus aren't being downloaded to my iPhone or iPad, though that's just a guess.

Any idea on what's going on? Any way to permanently delete that "News" folder and prevent it from being re-created?

katesbb

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Any way to permanently delete that "News" folder and prevent it from being re-created?

So of course after posting this, I found out you delete the smart mailbox on the Mac by selecting the mailbox, Mailbox menu, Delete Mailbox... option. Hopefully it won't come back, lol, as I never created it in the first place.

Still not sure why the news emails aren't making it to my iOS devices though?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Log on to iCloud via a web browser on computer... go to the mail... check settings/rules... and you should be able to delete folders there.

katesbb

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Log on to iCloud via a web browser on computer... go to the mail... check settings/rules... and you should be able to delete folders there.

Ah hah, thank you! Maybe that was the step I'd missed, as even though I deleted the Mailbox now, the rule was still there. Now that both are gone, maybe things will work. With all the news going on today, I should know soon enough ;)

katesbb

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Yup OK, after testing some it seems my Smart Folders aren't synced to my iOS devices. Only the Inbox is. I made up a dummy rule to move incoming iCloud emails to a test folder and those emails never make it my iPhone.

Unless I'm missing something? Looking through the folder hierarchy on my iPhone, I don't see smart folders listed under my iCloud account.

But that can't be right. That would mean anyone using the Smart Folder / Rules feature isn't getting those emails on their iOS devices.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yup OK, after testing some it seems my Smart Folders aren't synced to my iOS devices. Only the Inbox is. I made up a dummy rule to move incoming iCloud emails to a test folder and those emails never make it my iPhone.

Unless I'm missing something? Looking through the folder hierarchy on my iPhone, I don't see smart folders listed under my iCloud account.

But that can't be right. That would mean anyone using the Smart Folder / Rules feature isn't getting those emails on their iOS devices.

How does it know CNN is a news source? Is the word "news" in the address or name? If so, I would set up a contact for CNN without the "news". I get mail that would go to the Junk folder if I didn't have them in my contacts.

katesbb

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
How does it know CNN is a news source? Is the word "news" in the address or name? If so, I would set up a contact for CNN without the "news". I get mail that would go to the Junk folder if I didn't have them in my contacts.

Yup, there was a rule looking for the word "news." I didn't create it though, not sure how it got there.

I did find the smart folders on the iPhone. You have to scroll down past the standard mailboxes list and into a section called "Accounts." The smart folders are buried in there. Not some place I'd ever think to look, as they aren't convenient to get at. But that's where the emails were going.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner