Why do you need wifi to download apps above 100 MB?

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I would like they gave us the option to and just give us a warning saying this app is whatever big and asks if you want to continue with the download or not. I have sprint and unlimited data and I wish I could download bigger apps while I am out

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
It uses a lot of data! Many may not realize that and use too much.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

I know but I would like an option even if you have to manually turn it on to let me download apps on data. I have unlimited data and don't matter for me .

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
How come you need wifi to download apps above 100 MB?

I believe It used to be 50 before iOS 7 lol
It's a iOS restriction.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I believe It used to be 50 before iOS 7 lol
It's a iOS restriction.

I know it's an iOS restriction but I just wish they would allow us to download apps bigger then 100mb at our discretion

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't even think about it. It's not a deal breaker. If there's a 100mb app I want I'll just wait till I get home.

SmartFah

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I know it's an iOS restriction but I just wish they would allow us to download apps bigger then 100mb at our discretion

I agree. For people with unlimited data, there's no data cap to worry about. I'd like the option to make bigger downloads on LTE as well.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't even think about it. It's not a deal breaker. If there's a 100mb app I want I'll just wait till I get home.

Yeah but I would love to have the choice to download if I wanted 2

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
App size limits for users on cellular data connections were put in place to prevent the saturation of the networks? shared capacities. With unlimited data plans hard to find in many countries, the limits also prevent users from unintentionally exceeding their monthly data caps. It was, indeed, raised to 100 mb with iOS 7 from 50 mb. So rejoice! And find some wifi!

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
App size limits for users on cellular data connections were put in place to prevent the saturation of the networks? shared capacities. With unlimited data plans hard to find in many countries, the limits also prevent users from unintentionally exceeding their monthly data caps. It was, indeed, raised to 100 mb with iOS 7 from 50 mb. So rejoice! And find some wifi!

I understand why it's there but I would also like them to have a pop saying blah blah blah it's 2000MB app it might incur data charges or something do you want to proceed kind of thing. It's one of those things I wish Apple adds into iOS eventually

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I understand why it's there but I would also like them to have a pop saying blah blah blah it's 2000MB app it might incur data charges or something do you want to proceed kind of thing. It's one of those things I wish Apple adds into iOS eventually

Verizon alerts me when I get to 50%, 75% and 90% data usage. That helps. But for many, they do need some sort of warning about how much data is used per app download. They show how much is used on FaceTime.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429114149.591193.jpg
But that's after the fact. Cellular usage would vary for several reasons and be hard to predict an amount. It would have to be a general warning saying the download may etc...
You would think people would know by now. But we're not all geeks and forum dwellers. Most smartphones tell you how much data your using. Users should learn to keep an eye on that.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Verizon alerts me when I get to 50%, 75% and 90% data usage. That helps. But for many, they do need some sort of warning about how much data is used per app download. They show how much is used on FaceTime.
View attachment 80063
But that's after the fact. Cellular usage would vary for several reasons and be hard to predict an amount. It would have to be a general warning saying the download may etc...
You would think people would know by now. But we're not all geeks and forum dwellers. Most smartphones tell you how much data your using. Users should learn to keep an eye on that.

I would love a message similar to this on app downloads for is ideally personally

a588d69b028716e20a5835335caabbbd.jpg

Still waiting on my Verizon final bill so happen to have my Note 4 still.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I would love a message similar to this on app downloads for is ideally personally

//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/15/a588d69b028716e20a5835335caabbbd.jpg

Still waiting on my Verizon final bill so happen to have my Note 4 still.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Yeah, with many apps for iOS getting bigger and bigger, one would think there would be some sort of warning. For any good it may do, we can send feedback on it.
https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html#mn_p
There's not much else we can do.

Amanda Lady

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site

Great and all but what if you can't afford Wi-Fi? I'm sorry but what is the point of paying this much for a phone when you can't use it unless they allow you access? And it didn't use to be 50mb only cause I had an iPhone way back when and it never gave me that message and I didn't have Wi-Fi then either. This is new control mandates issued by the corporate. It's not there to help anyone or anything besides apple. The entire phone runs up all your data with the pretty things like I message and crap that they have go cut corners just to make sure there products are used how they want them to be used. Which is stupid, androids run on the same networks and also work globe just like apple and they don't restrict. I can't stand when people preach about what they have heard instead of using their own minds to make logical decision. Sadly that exact reason is why this is happening.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
How come you need wifi to download apps above 100 MB?

If you really can't afford Wifi, you can always go to places where it's offered for free, like coffee shops =)

Exactly. And there are even apps you can download that show you where the closest wifi hotspot is located. Here's one of them:
WiFi Map ? Passwords for free wireless internet access in public places hotspots. Good alternative for roaming. by WiFi Map LLC
https://appsto.re/us/ri_TG.i

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Great and all but what if you can't afford Wi-Fi? I'm sorry but what is the point of paying this much for a phone when you can't use it unless they allow you access? And it didn't use to be 50mb only cause I had an iPhone way back when and it never gave me that message and I didn't have Wi-Fi then either. This is new control mandates issued by the corporate. It's not there to help anyone or anything besides apple. The entire phone runs up all your data with the pretty things like I message and crap that they have go cut corners just to make sure there products are used how they want them to be used. Which is stupid, androids run on the same networks and also work globe just like apple and they don't restrict. I can't stand when people preach about what they have heard instead of using their own minds to make logical decision. Sadly that exact reason is why this is happening.

Just do your large downloads when you're close to wifi. I used to go sit in front of the Mexican restaurant and download apps and updates. Hopefully they'll up it some soon. There's still a lot of huge apps.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2