Apple's keyboard still the best

mmd1080

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
Want to like some of these third party keyboards but every one has that one small issue that makes me switch back to the default. I want a swype style keyboard that is the same size as default and had the option to turn off predictive text buttons- do these actually make you more efficient? I don't like them on the Apple keyboard either.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm using the SwiftKey keyboard and like it. It offers both predictive and Swype style. Yeah, it is more efficient. It does take a bit of practice though.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411154095.878416.jpg

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

rward01

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm also using the SwiftKey keyboard for the majority of my typing just because I like the swype feature. Otherwise I would probably be using the standard iOS 8 keyboard.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have noticed the SwiftKey keyboard does not show the text field in some places, like when typing an app review in the App Store. I noticed it in other places as well. So, I've decided to stick with the stock predictive keyboard. Kiwi keyboard is kind of fun. You create the color scheme. Here's my iMore keyboard.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411319562.953559.jpg

Last edited:

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411326244.499126.jpgI'm using the Swype keyboard. I really like it and I'm sure it will get better with some updates. Our really enhances the experience on the iPad Air. I have noticed that it reverts back to the stock keyboard in certain text fields, but I'm fine with that. I tried the Swiftkey keyboard, but I didn't like it add much as the Swype keyboard. The one emoticon thing is weird. But other than that, no complaints.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 65472I'm using the Swype keyboard. I really like it and I'm sure it will get better with some updates. Our really enhances the experience on the iPad Air. I have noticed that it reverts back to the stock keyboard in certain text fields, but I'm fine with that. I tried the Swiftkey keyboard, but I didn't like it add much as the Swype keyboard. The one emoticon thing is weird. But other than that, no complaints.
I think Apple restricts these 3rd party keyboards from certain places, such as the App Store and anywhere it would be a security risk. I tried to review an app in the App Store using SwiftKey, but I could not see the text field. Makes sense since they can see what you type.

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Personally I do not think apples is still the best. These 3rd party keyboard devs know what they are doing and have these keyboards down to a science. Just give them some time to work out the kinks on the new platform.

ಠ益ಠ

rward01

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I experienced a glitch awhile ago with SwiftKey. When I opened up my messages app, SwiftKey was telling to allow full access which I already allowed. I went into settings and it was still on. Flipping the switch off and back on fixed it though so it was not that big of a deal. It's just some bugs that will have to be worked out in the coming months.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I experienced a glitch awhile ago with SwiftKey. When I opened up my messages app, SwiftKey was telling to allow full access which I already allowed. I went into settings and it was still on. Flipping the switch off and back on fixed it though so it was not that big of a deal. It's just some bugs that will have to be worked out in the coming months.

I experienced the same issue today when setting up my new iPhone.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Personally I do not think apples is still the best. These 3rd party keyboard devs know what they are doing and have these keyboards down to a science. Just give them some time to work out the kinks on the new platform.

ಠ益ಠ

And that's my exact thought process. Wait for the updates. They will be coming and they will bring new features and bug fixes. We have only had these keyboards for less than a week.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I sort of agree. Swype is awesome but doesn't have siri dictation which Is annoying. I'm finding Swype very useful with the iPhone 6+. I type much faster and accurate than the apple stock keyboard in portrait. But with landscape the apple keyboard wins the cake due to the massive 5.5 inch screen.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I sort of agree. Swype is awesome but doesn't have siri dictation which Is annoying. I'm finding Swype very useful with the iPhone 6+. I type much faster and accurate than the apple stock keyboard in portrait. But with landscape the apple keyboard wins the cake due to the massive 5.5 inch screen.

I never type in landscape mode on my iPhone.

chrisr560

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I love swift key but I'm annoyed that it doesn't work with quick reply. Quick reply only recognizes apples keyboard and the emoji keyboard.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I like swiftkey but it's too much of a pain not having the voice to text option. Hopefully it will soon. When it does, I'll use that exclusively