What do you think of iMessage

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
So what does everyone thing about iMessage?

Do you use it because it's there and it's convenient?

Do you not use it because you use something else?

For me I really do like the way it works. I can send large files to my family, like pictures or videos if we aren't home on air-play. There is no character count issue as with a regular text.

What I am waiting for is the future. I can't wait for groups, I want that more than anything. It will be such a life saver at work to not have to use third party apps. It's sometime tough trying to talk people into buying an app to make something work. And I can't forget the ability to leave a group. Love my kids but they can really drive you crazy with messaging.

So what does everyone else's opinion?

AAA1337

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I don't like iMessage at all. The biggest issue is compatibility.

I have a pretty small group of contacts. Out of the 30 or so numbers i have, only 4 are iPhones. Of those 4, only 1 actually keeps iMessage turned on.

The only reason I keep iMessage on is because despite having an unlimited talk and text plan, that one friend absolutely refuses to turn on "Send as SMS [if iM is unavailable]" so I'm forced to turn it on to receive his messages.

It sucks because Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger and Hangouts, and every other software can do exactly what iMessage does, ad more, and do it for more than 1/30th of all my friends.

But because it's on for that ONE dude, it automatically sends iMessages to my other 3 friends with iPhones. So I have to manually override it to SMS. EVERY time. And it forgets the override after 2 hours and starts blue bubbling them again.

Until iMessage either becomes Hangouts compatible, or releases an app on other platforms to compete on even terms, it will be the most horrible app they have made IMO. Which really sucks because iMessage pulls down the otherwise beautiful and clean Messages app.

(Yes, I hate iMessage more than Maps. The only thing I hate more than iMessage is AirDrop. I so love being able to transfer photos and files to my one friend with an iPhone 5. When you know, my old Nokia flip phone could do that ten years ago. With EVERY phone...)

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I find it indispensable, most of my friends and family have iDevices, and between FaceTime and iMessage communication is a breeze. I also like the fact that I can use the respective apps on my computer and as such not have to look for my phone.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't like iMessage at all. The biggest issue is compatibility.

I have a pretty small group of contacts. Out of the 30 or so numbers i have, only 4 are iPhones. Of those 4, only 1 actually keeps iMessage turned on.

The only reason I keep iMessage on is because despite having an unlimited talk and text plan, that one friend absolutely refuses to turn on "Send as SMS [if iM is unavailable]" so I'm forced to turn it on to receive his messages.

It sucks because Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger and Hangouts, and every other software can do exactly what iMessage does, ad more, and do it for more than 1/30th of all my friends.

But because it's on for that ONE dude, it automatically sends iMessages to my other 3 friends with iPhones. So I have to manually override it to SMS. EVERY time. And it forgets the override after 2 hours and starts blue bubbling them again.

Until iMessage either becomes Hangouts compatible, or releases an app on other platforms to compete on even terms, it will be the most horrible app they have made IMO. Which really sucks because iMessage pulls down the otherwise beautiful and clean Messages app.

(Yes, I hate iMessage more than Maps. The only thing I hate more than iMessage is AirDrop. I so love being able to transfer photos and files to my one friend with an iPhone 5. When you know, my old Nokia flip phone could do that ten years ago. With EVERY phone...)

I'm confused. If on, you will receive and send iMessages and SMS, so what is the problem?
"Most horrible app"? LOL!

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I love iMessage. I use it all the time. All of my friends and most of my family have iPhones and it makes it easier to text them. I can now use my iPad to text. This is especially helpful when I'm at work because people think that I'm actually working when I am typing on my iPad as opposed to texting on my phone.

Sent from my iPad Air using iMore Forums

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
iMessage is great if you have most of your contacts using iPhones. My whole family is on iPhones and iPods so it's one of the reasons I keep coming back to iPhone. FaceTime and iMessage are great services within the iOS system. I also use handouts for my android using friends and like that as well.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
iMessage is great if you have most of your contacts using iPhones. My whole family is on iPhones and iPods so it's one of the reasons I keep coming back to iPhone. FaceTime and iMessage are great services within the iOS system. I also use handouts for my android using friends and like that as well.

That is the primary reason that I have not gone to a WP yet. iMessage and FaceTime are apps that I use all day everyday. There isn't even an option for Google Hangouts on WP. That makes it a no go for me.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I love it, and use it all day every day. It's convenient and does exactly what I need for it to do, whether I'm sending texts, photos or videos.

audit

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
Since my kids use iPhones and my parents use iPhones, I really like iMessage. I finally got the syncing between my MBA and my iPhone so when I message my kids or folks, I know everything is in sync. I haven't tested it with regular texting with my GF yet but I assume since it's just texting to her Android, it's not going to sync anyhow. Wait until December when her contract is up to get her to move to an iPhone. I WILL bring her to the dark side yet for her phone, she already had a MBP.

Last edited:

AAA1337

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I'm confused. If on, you will receive and send iMessages and SMS, so what is the problem?
"Most horrible app"? LOL!

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

I already mentioned it. Only 1 of my four friends with an iPhone has iMessage switched on. Since I'm forced to switch it on for that one friend, the other 3 constantly keep not receiving my texts in time if I forget to override.

Sometimes the thing glitches and tries to send an iMessage even after the override. Other times it sends as text, then when the receiver reaches wifi, it sends ALL the messages again simultaneously, because Apple did not cancel my iMessage after override. Sometimes it leaves a blue bubble, but says "Sent as Text Message" so there's no way to be sure if the other person actually received it or not until they respond.

Besides, I'm not gonna force them to switch it on either. If someone needs to Internet Message, there's Whatsapp, Messenger, Hangouts, or Skype. Why would anyone go out of their way to use a service that enables them to send and receive Internet messaging from a tiny fraction of their contacts, especially when that tiny fraction is already on the aforementioned services?

Basically, while "most horrible app" may be hyperbole on my part (i don't like the app, but I can understand why others would) I don't understand why Apple would make a service that only lets it's customers talk with each other. If apple's market share was something like >40% of all phones, it is understandable, but right now, it's not. For every iPhone I see, I see 5 Nexus phones, 3 Note phones, and 3 S-series phones. iMessage seems gimmicky at best, when you can accomplish the same thing with less glitches, and with more people using some other service.

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
See I'm the opposite. Pretty much everyone I know uses iPhones or iPads. I only have one friend who uses and Android device.

WeAreAllUnique

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
For every iPhone I see, I see 5 Nexus phones, 3 Note phones, and 3 S-series phones.

Are you sure you aren't living on the Google campus? Because I have never witnessed that sort of ratio.

AAA1337

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Are you sure you aren't living on the Google campus? Because I have never witnessed that sort of ratio.

The numbers are skewed in favour of Samsung, and against other flagships like HTC One (never even seen one in my school) or LG G-series (I think I have seen one) because righty now, all the "cool kids" buy Samsung. It's also skewed favour of Nexus because that's the most premium among cheaper phones, so yeah, there is bias there.

But aside from the fact that since these guys are high school kids they'll always buy the one with latest and greatest OS (most of my friends have stock Kit Kat or a Custom ROM) my numbers are reflective of the actual market share. Due to the huge variety of phones available, both cheaper and flagship. Androids outnumber iOS devices by a huge margin.

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I leave iMessage on all the time, and everyone gets my texts, including iPhones, Androids, and WP8 phones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

shanghaichica

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site

I can see samsung phones being popular, I see them a lot but I rarely see other android phones. I mainly see iPhones and Samsung galaxy phones were I live.

Sent from my iPad

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I like it and use it everyday. All of my family and friends that don't have iPhones still receive my texts (pictures, videos) with no problem. I especially like the iMessage (blue) vs non-iPhone (green) color distinction....I think thats pretty KOOL. I also like how iMessage lets me know when a message has been delivered and/or read ( for iPhones)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711