Sorry iOS, I'm switching to Android

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I have no problem when someone ditches IOS or the iphone for android or another platform. It happens ALL of the time. But to come to the forum populated by and devoted to the users of said platform just to tell them you are leaving, and providing reasons why you are leaving, is in essence a thumbing at the nose to everyone there. Essentially you are saying you are leaving the phone/OS they choose to use every day because in your world, it was not good enough.

Here's an idea. Leave quietly. You tried it, it met your needs for a while, and now it no longer does. Great. Save the announcement and just move on. Many of us will still be here if and when you come back.

This should be a sticky !!!

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
It's humor! Lighten up! I have nothing against Android or any other platform. It's just my attempt at humor. You didn't see the "Big Grin" on that comment? That means I was not being serious and was trying to be funny. :)

Well, maybe you post wasn't the best one to pick, but as a newbie on this forum, who owns iOS and Android devices, I'm sorry to say that this thread doesn't give a great impression of Apple users (at least who post on Apple product forums - I know plenty in real life who seem ok).

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
In cellphone years -
1 year old = Antique
2 years old = Ancient
3 years old = A display at the Smithsonian Museum of Technology
Feel free to copy that list for future reference ...

Many thanks for the advice and I will certainly bear it in mind. Having said that, if I had bought an iPhone 5 a year ago, when it was still the "flagship" device, I'd be pretty unhappy if it was already "ancient". They are not cheap, you know. And does anyone really think smart phones are evolving that quickly at the moment? Let's be honest - a decent device from early 2012 can do everything a top of the range phone today can do, and almost as well/quickly. This perpetual two year (or less) upgrade cycle is really clever marketing from the manufacturers, rather than something that benefits most users.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, maybe you post wasn't the best one to pick, but as a newbie on this forum, who owns iOS and Android devices, I'm sorry to say that this thread doesn't give a great impression of Apple users (at least who post on Apple product forums - I know plenty in real life who seem ok).

You came to a thread, in an iPhone/iOS forum, where an individual proceeds to tell its fanbase that he/she is leaving because he finds ios and the iPhone to be inferior to the competition. I'm curious, what exactly did you expect the response to be?

As a person who also owns both iOS and android devices I have spent considerable time in android forums. You know what I see over there? Terms like isheep, icrap, crapple, etc. I see people who convert to android apologize to the community first for having used Apple products prior to posting as if it's a prerequisite. I had a friend recently banned for trying to be a voice of reason in the Apple bashing.

In short, you joined the forums here and within several days you have mistaken people's attempts at humor for being brash truth, you elected to participate in a thread in which a member thumbs his nose at iPhone/iOS users, and from this diminutive sample size have concluded that "Apple fans' reputation is justified" and "this thread doesn't give a great impression of Apple users"?

Great start. Welcome to iMore.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Last edited:

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
You came to a thread, in an iPhone/iOS forum, where an individual proceeds to tell its fanbase that he/she is leaving because he finds ios and the iPhone to be inferior to the competition. I'm curious, what exactly did you expect the response to be?

As a person who also owns both iOS and android devices I have spent considerable time in android forums. You know what I see over there? Terms like isheep, icrap, crapple, etc. I see people who convert to android apologize to the community first for having used Apple products prior to posting as if it's a prerequisite. I had a friend recently banned for trying to be a voice of reason in the Apple bashing.

In short, you joined the forums here and within several days you have mistaken people's attempts at humor for being brash truth, you elected to participate in a thread in which a member thumbs his nose at iPhone/iOS users, and from this minute sample size have concluded that "Apple fans' reputation is justified" and "this thread doesn't give a great impression of Apple users"?

Great start. Welcome to iMore.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

I love you!

The more I hear about AC and from my experience at CB, they both suppress free speech. Here at iMore, and at Connectedly(where I'm an ambassador) free speech is not only 100% allowed, it is 100% encouraged by the leadership! I got an infraction at CB for simply posting a poll, and asking how many, and why, use BB. Here at iMore, we have lots and lots of people who either bash all apple products, or bash a certain apple product(i.e. Someone uses iOS but hates OS X, or vise versa) And as far as I know, they aren't banned. Maybe they are and I don't know it.

Anyways Tl;Dr iMore and Connectedly are far more open, have higher quality leadership, have higher quality users, and don't suppress free speech.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
Many thanks for the advice and I will certainly bear it in mind. Having said that, if I had bought an iPhone 5 a year ago, when it was still the "flagship" device, I'd be pretty unhappy if it was already "ancient". They are not cheap, you know. And does anyone really think smart phones are evolving that quickly at the moment? Let's be honest - a decent device from early 2012 can do everything a top of the range phone today can do, and almost as well/quickly. This perpetual two year (or less) upgrade cycle is really clever marketing from the manufacturers, rather than something that benefits most users.
You make me think of this LOL ...
T-Mobile | JUMP! "Mugger" - YouTube

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I can completely understand why a person would like Android. I have had many Android devices and they have served me well. My favorite two Android devices were the Note 3 and the Nexus 5. I haven't really had any issues that were Android related. And for younger generations, I can definitely see the appeal for Android. For me, I'm sticking with iOS for now because I need devices and an ecosystem that is easy, convenient, and reliable. I have found Apple products to exhibit all of these qualities. I won't be switching back to Android unless something terribly wrong happens to iOS and Apple hardware.

Sent from my iPad Air. Simply better than the rest.

blackguard

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
I can completely understand why a person would like Android. I have had many Android devices and they have served me well. My favorite two Android devices were the Note 3 and the Nexus 5. I haven't really had any issues that were Android related. And for younger generations, I can definitely see the appeal for Android. For me, I'm sticking with iOS for now because I need devices and an ecosystem that is easy, convenient, and reliable. I have found Apple products to exhibit all of these qualities. I won't be switching back to Android unless something terribly wrong happens to iOS and Apple hardware.

I'm currently and android user but we have a 5s and mini retina in the house. You know what stands out to me a lot? I scroll the unread posts at AC and imore on Tapatalk every day. This is what I see on AC:

problem with...
Having issues with...
(insert whatever here) not working...

At imore there's hardly any of those posts. I have to confess that bothers me a little in general even though my own phone (Sony) is doing well in that respect.

Another thing I've noticed is that over time my app cache will eventually start bogging my phone down until I clear it. Wife and kid go months with no performance hit on their 5s

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
You are comparing apples to oranges.
Every complaint I have ever heard about iOS was based on an old iOS (you), or it was operator error (maybe you again).

Once you have to actually work for a living, you dont have all day to sit around and customize your phone.

Apple is unmatched for art and music.....also 64 bit processing.

Good luck with your downgrade.

64-bit processing is a marketing feature. The device isn't setup to take advantage of the processing. You're only marginally, if anything, better off than a 32-bit processor. In terms of upgrading/downgrading, that has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation.

Once you have to work for a living, you should consider researching your decisions before using the money you're making on your decisions. That, or you should just lose the condescending tone if you're going to show you don't really understand what you're talking about. Either way works.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
64-bit processing is a marketing feature. The device isn't setup to take advantage of the processing. You're only marginally, if anything, better off than a 32-bit processor. In terms of upgrading/downgrading, that has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation.

Once you have to work for a living, you should consider researching your decisions before using the money you're making on your decisions. That, or you should just lose the condescending tone if you're going to show you don't really understand what you're talking about. Either way works.

Your factually incorrect.
Perhaps on android it's a gimmick, but not with apple, and he is right enjoy your downgrade.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm currently and android user but we have a 5s and mini retina in the house. You know what stands out to me a lot? I scroll the unread posts at AC and imore on Tapatalk every day. This is what I see on AC:

problem with...
Having issues with...
(insert whatever here) not working...

At imore there's hardly any of those posts. I have to confess that bothers me a little in general even though my own phone (Sony) is doing well in that respect.

Another thing I've noticed is that over time my app cache will eventually start bogging my phone down until I clear it. Wife and kid go months with no performance hit on their 5s

I completely agree with this. It has been something that I have noticed for quite some time too. I good chunk of the posts on Apple forums are about accessories. Or whether it is worth upgrading to the next product in the line. But you don't hear about a lot of issues with device hardware or software. On Android forums, they are rampant with complaints and workarounds. For a long time, it was getting exhausting that for many of the complaints the general answer would be to root your phone or use another launcher.

JmBApps

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site

Once I work for a living? I like how you pulled that out of thin air. Im 45, I develop for reals, I doubt you know the difference between a byte and a bit. I state the facts....sorry if the truth upsets you. I mention the 64 bit as a reason that he should stay with Apple. That is what he stated in his original post, reasons why he should stay. I gave him a reason, superior processing. Get it now? Perhaps you should step out of your delusional state...and worry about you. Im good over here. Thx for your concern.

blackguard

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Apps will eventually reach the 64 bit stage. It's inevitable. It's silly to actually criticize apple for doing something proactive just because it's not here right now. How exactly would you suggest developers work on them without the hardware? Build their own phone in the garage?

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site

If that's so, please explain why there are very very few android flagships that benchmarks and performs better than the 5S! I mean, the note three has THREE TIMES the RAM, double the cores, and I believe double the clock speed, and the 5S still beats it in benchmarks and real world performance! Want to say 64-bit is a marketing gimmick again? 99% smartphones purchasers don't have a clue what 64-bit even means, so how could it be a marketing gimmick when most people wouldn't have a clue what 64-bit means??? You want to know what the marketing gimmick is? Packing these android phones with 3GB of ram, 2+ghz clock speeds and 4+ cores!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR