Sorry iOS, I'm switching to Android

Fishfam4

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys! I'm Fishfam, and you may have seen me around recently. Probably not, but whatever. I'll just jump right into this essay-length post. I've decided, that after several years of Apple fanboyism, I'm going to switch to Android.

Now, let me explain my tech backstory.

For as long as I can remember (I'm 14, so not that long ago) someone in my family family has had some sort of Apple product, whether that be iPods, or MacBooks or iPhones. So, when it came time for me to get my first personal electronic device, back in 2011, I naturally chose the 4th-gen iPod touch. I had so much fun with that thing, but then in December of 2012, I received a third generation iPad (outdated several months before I got it) and an iPhone 4. That was the happiest day I think I've ever had. (This is when you start to wonder what the heck this has to do with the title, but never fear, this is necessary) Now, at the time, I was also a bit (OK a lot) of a fanboy, and this only kicked that up a notch.)

Now, fast forward to January of this year. Not much had really changed regarding my view on Apple. Then I discovered the Galaxy Note lineup of devices. I didn't want to admit it at the time, but I thought "Wow, these really ARE better than iOS". I also started to realize how much I hated a 3.5" screen, and iOS 7+ iPhone 4 =/= smooth user experience, BTW. So, I went to Best Buy and tried the Note 3 out, which pretty much confirmed that I'm getting the Note 4 in December. Then, another thing happened. The Galaxy Tab/NotePRO lineup was released. I've wanted the NotePRO 12.2 ever since, and I'm going to try selling my iPad to attempt to get it. I've also recently started learning various programming languages (currently learning Java, HTML and CSS, and I'm going to learn C++, Python, JavaScript etc.) so the ability to actually code for a mobile OS without buying an (IMO) overpriced Mac is awesome.

Ok, that's enough backstory. Here are my reasons for switching to Android:
  • Customizability. Just changing backgrounds and app orientation isn't good enough for me.
  • Open Source. If I'm going to build apps, I want to be able to use any computer I want, not a specialized one.
  • Features. Features such as widgets (in how I feel is the right way), larger screens, custom launchers/keyboards/ROMs and removable batteries are going to really help improve my smartphone and tablet experience.
  • Fragmentation. While this may be considered a "toxic hellstew" (yes, I watched WWDC) by some people, this should really just be called "free will" or "excessive amounts of choices" instead of "fragmentation" (BTW, I actually prefer TouchWiz to stock Android). Even if my phone doesn't get the newest software, I have the choice to slap on a new launcher, theme and/or keyboard and call it a "software update".
  • Standard Connectors. This is technically a feature, but it deserves a bullet point of its own. By using microUSB, I can almost guarantee that excluding iOS, I'll be able to use my current cords (assuming the don't die) with pretty much any other phone, casual camera, hard drive, computer, flash drive or portable battery. This is amazing, and I can't believe Apple hasn't changed their charger standard yet. (Well, that last bit's a lie, Apple is stubborn in some regards)

I figure that I might as well give my opinions on all mobile platforms for a negligible reason that may or may not actually add to the value of this post.

iOS:
iOS is still what I'd recommend for anyone who wants (or in the case of old people/kids, needs *deliberately blunt ageism*) a simple user experience. The design, while basically being a grid, is minimalistic, secure, easy-to-use and beautiful. This is sufficient for many people, I just happen to not be in that group.

Android:
Android is a great OS, but it can be complicated for some non-tech-savvy users (like my grandparents who bought them over iPhone two years ago because of their customizability, yet don't know that alternate keyboards, launchers and ROMs are possible until I, the person who's never owned an Android, told them about them). I'd recommend it to anyone who wants something more than iOS, and/or someone with a more artistic flair and a need for customizability. Or, you know, a need for a cheap (price, not necessarily quality) device.

Blackberry:
image.jpg

Windows Phone 8(.1):
I actually considered the Nokia Lumia 1520, but decided against the phone for its size and the OS for its relative lack of customizability and either slightly too small (4.5", I'm aware of the Samsung ATIV SE, didn't like the color) or slightly too big (6.0", slightly too big for my hands) screen sizes. 5.3" is my personal minimum, and 5.9" (HTC One Maxx) is really pushing it. Also, the app store is still not the most mature ecosystem, but it's definitely getting much better. Maybe next time I upgrade. I'd recommend this to someone tied into Microsoft's ecosystem, or someone wanting a very basic smartphone (Lumia 520/1).

Fire OS:
With the advent of the Fire Phone, which pretty much made Fire OS a complete ecosystem, I thought I should mention this. For the most part, what with subpar hardware and no Google Play access, I'd only recommend this to someone already tied to Amazon. That's it.

What do you think? Please comment on any of my points, and even try to persuade me into getting trying another ecosystem. Also, if I dissed any of your ecosystems, don't take it personally. These are my opinions, and I'm just giving my reasons for having them. Also, if you care, there's an (identical) companion post on Android Central if you want to follow the conversation there.

Last edited:

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Yup, sounds like Android is what you want. Cons far outweigh the pros for myself, but hey, that's why we have options!

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Why not both? Ha ha, I use both. I have a MacBook Pro, an iPad Air, an iPhone 5 now with no service because I just switched to AT&T and I'm using an HTC One M8. I personally just don't like Samsung. Everyone else I know that uses Android has a Samsung.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
You're young and impressionable. As you mature and get wiser, you'll be back. But enjoy Android for now. It's good you learn the Android fallacies at an early age. :D

Sent from from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

agarwal.apar

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
You will eventually come back to iOS. No matter how far the birds fly, they come back to their nests at night! Lol

Sent from my Darth Vader black iPhone 5 using iMore Forums

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
No offense, but I stopped reading when you said you were 14. I didn't know a whole lot at 14 either....

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums app

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Well duh! I would switch to android too if I was basing my iOS experience off an iPhone 4! There's nothing wrong with you switching, but the iPhone 4 IS NOT the latest iPhone, therefore you really can't judge apple based off the iPhone 4. Also, as stated above; I was also pretty stupid when I was 14-years-old! So you'll wake up and see 1) that your not using logic by basing your judgement of iOS off your two outdated devices and 2) that Android, WP and blackberry all suck compared to iOS. But again, it's your choice., but you'll reap the consequences of your choices.

Last edited:

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
If root/ROM is important to you, then the Note 4 may not be the best option. While rooting/ROMing is possible with the Note 3, its becoming more difficult with Knox and additional security features introduced in current Android releases (4.3, 4.4). This is not necessarily a bad thing, as root/ROM is not without risk. I have a Note 3, and have not rooted/ROM'd as its my home phablet and backup phone should anything happen to my 5S. Rooted/ROM'd several Galaxy phones in the past. Once you go that route, you'll be waiting for developers to find a way to bring root/unlocked boot loaders "back" once a new Android version is released. Then you'll be on an older OS. May not be a big deal to you, but you will lose out on new features and security or bug fixes. Then will be faced with the quandary to stay with the older OS, or give up root/unlocked boot loader to get the new features and enhancements. December is a ways out, so I'd monitor the Nexus, Moto X, or similar lines that have embraced or made root/ROM easier.

As for your comments about age, it has nothing to do with wanting a simple user experience. People of all ages can and should enjoy a simple or complex experience - if it suites them. As you get older, you'll find many things competing for your time. This drives decisions about focusing your time and energy toward things that are important. Not saying that root/ROM isn't a good thing to learn about and get engaged in, but it will compete for your time and energy.

I could address all of your other assertions and opinions in depth, but am choosing to spend my time on other priorities :)

Last edited:

bazn

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Your make a bad move iOS all the way 'it does what it says on the tin'

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums ( baz ) UK

reeneebob

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
All I got from this was the following: I've owned so many android devices, and I've custom Rommed them, and dealt with all the issues that arise when one starts romming...and I think it's really irresponsible to promote romming to ones grandparents. Too much can go wrong with the devices and you never know when an emergency will happen.

George Jenkinson

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
You should do what you think is right and enjoy it as well as learn from it. You write well and have a mature outlook / ability to assess various facets of a matter for a 14 year old. I hope that you never lose that and also, that you can develop it further.

The only thing I would offer, by way of a lesson I learnt (and actually still have to keep re-learning) is that problems/drawbacks always exist - they just look different at the outset...

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
You're young and impressionable. As you mature and get wiser, you'll be back. But enjoy Android for now. It's good you learn the Android fallacies at an early age. :D

Sent from from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Just joined these forums and I see that Apple fans' reputation is justified...
How can you have an ancient iPhone 5? The device was only released in September 2012.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR