What do you think of iOS 8?

the_tech_eater

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
here's a question; does the predictive keyboard function entirely separate from autocorrect? So I could switch off autocorrect (because that's a massive pain if you converse in two languages) and would still have the merits of predictive typing?

Use the global keyboard feature... That's what it is meant to be used for.
udenera3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
Apparently not. I just turned off auto correct and my predictive keyboard is no longer.

right, thanks a lot. Sucks, but I suppose it makes sense.

@the_tech_eater: I probably would, but my first iPhone had the English keyboard and I've always been a huge creature of habit.. I turned it on once (to have autocorrect in both languages available) a few months ago and was shocked how much it blows.
germankey.png
I mean, look at it! The ?, ? and ? ! I seriously could not type with that keyboard. I rather not have the benefits of autocorrect/predictive typing than THAT keyboard (plus I would have to constantly switch between 3 keyboards (emoji).. that's just inconvenient to me.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
iOS 8 is cool.
I noticed they did take a few features from android like the prediction text etc. but it's a cool update, not as big as iOS 6- 7.

Sent from my iPhone 5S
using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I think Apple did a great job with the update. They added more features... Because they listened to what users want... So in the end everyone wins :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using iMore Forums.

sicannon

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
iOS 8 beta is definitely best avoided for now IMHO. There are just too many bugs which crash my iPhone 5 for me to recommend it. A few examples:
1) who would have thought that pressing the Settings button would crash the app (after switching on the phone from off)
2) Battery life is shocking too even with just a single app running. I've followed all the recommendations that are supposed to help but no joy just yet.
3) Unless you are a developer then there is no support
4) If you try and select multiple mails, to move them to a specific folder, the select button disappears once you scroll down so you have no idea of what you have selected.
5) If a purchased app stops working after installing iOS 8, there is little or no support from the app developer.

Obviously these are just the first 5 that popped into my head but I'm sure I could list more!
I'm tempted to roll back to iOS 7 for now and upgrade when it's a little more stable. It's such a shame that there are too many issues right now but once the fixes are in place it will be fab. Please, PLEASE Apple, address the battery life issue first... Or maybe start sorting out the crashes first...

JmBApps

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
iOS 8 beta is definitely best avoided for now IMHO. There are just too many bugs which crash my iPhone 5 for me to recommend it. A few examples:
1) who would have thought that pressing the Settings button would crash the app (after switching on the phone from off)
2) Battery life is shocking too even with just a single app running. I've followed all the recommendations that are supposed to help but no joy just yet.
3) Unless you are a developer then there is no support
4) If you try and select multiple mails, to move them to a specific folder, the select button disappears once you scroll down so you have no idea of what you have selected.
5) If a purchased app stops working after installing iOS 8, there is little or no support from the app developer.

Obviously these are just the first 5 that popped into my head but I'm sure I could list more!
I'm tempted to roll back to iOS 7 for now and upgrade when it's a little more stable. It's such a shame that there are too many issues right now but once the fixes are in place it will be fab. Please, PLEASE Apple, address the battery life issue first... Or maybe start sorting out the crashes first...

It is an incomplete operating system....of course it will have bugs.....that is the point! Developers file bug reports to help Apple get rid of the bugs. I think it is great they release beta so we can start taking advantage of new features and start developing apps before its release. All your complaints are listed in Apples warning...and if you have downloaded previous betas....the battery life is always shorter in beta versions.
You are stating the obvious. I dont understand your complaint...it really doesnt make any sense. You might as well complain about the sky being blue.

JmBApps

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
I lost my cool emoticons with beta 2 update.

I push the smiley face on the keyboard for all the extras....freezes iMessage, every time...have to force close to 'unstick' it.

iPhone 5.

JmBApps

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Restored back to beta 1 this morning. Ill take the occasional sideways keyboard and blinking, stuttering reminders of beta 1.
....over the headphone jack stops working, touch smiley face for emoticons, or try and use mic for voice recognition and it freezes iMessage every time so you have to force close, power button doesnt work...hard reset....several times to get it right, camera kills phone of beta 2 any day of the week.

Get it together SnApple. :p

JmBApps

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
iOS8 beta 3 is out. Who is going in? Am I the only one installing betas....or just the only one commenting?

beta 1works ok

beta 2 was a disaster, I went back to beta 1

beta 3 Im a wee bit apprehensive to say the least.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
iOS8 beta 3 is out. Who is going in? Am I the only one installing betas....or just the only one commenting?

beta 1works ok

beta 2 was a disaster, I went back to beta 1

beta 3 Im a wee bit apprehensive to say the least.

I'm thinking about trying beta 3

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR