How often do you reset your i-Device?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Personally speaking, every few months, and especially after an update, I will move the current .ipsw file to my trash bin, put my device in DFU mode, connect it to iTunes and then when iTunes detect that it's in recovery, I will select to restore and update. This forces iTunes to download and then install a fresh copy of the latest iOS version. I like doing this because it keeps my device running problem-free for the most part. It's not necessary, but it is something I simply prefer to do. Do any of you do this or at least erase all contents and settings periodically?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Soft reset every 3 or 4 days. Hard reset once or twice a month. Smooth, fast, no issues on my 5.

Sent from from my iPhone 5

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I use to hard reset my palm phones every night before bed it became a bad habit in my eyes

My current iPhone has no reset schedule I go as long as I can before I do anything but clear my running apps every couple of days

We needs to break old habits sooner or later. The former mentioned is my last vice 🍺🍻🍸🍹🍷

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I soft reset my device weekly on Friday at 6:00am! Don't judge me!

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

Last edited:

anon4757448

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I soft reset every few days. I've been considering doing a hard reset but I don't think I have the patience, and I have no reason to.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I restore when other is too much atleast for devices I keep longer than a year . I only hard reset when I notice lag or something is not working and I do it to rule it out as a issue.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums mobile app

anon4757448

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Question: when doing a restore as new, after backing up the device, do you have to download all apps again...and redo app settings?

I've never done a restore as new before.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I do the occasional soft reset; maybe once every couple of months but I haven't done a backup and full restore since getting the phone as it never seems to need it.

My Android phones however get reset once a month as errors slowly creep in over the weeks.

kdude12345

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
All the damn time, cause the iPhone & iPad are constantly crashing, hanging, or freezing up. Its even worse with iOS 7. Worse than even with iOS 7.1, particularly if your on iPhone 4 or 4S! Which ironically Apple said 7.1 has fixes & improvements for. My two iPhone 4S worked a lot better with 7.0.6, than 7.1. And it worked tons better with iOS 6, than it does with iOS 7. Even better with iOS 5. Software for the iPhone & iPad is going down the tubes. It's horrible now....

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
All the damn time, cause the iPhone & iPad are constantly crashing, hanging, or freezing up. Its even worse with iOS 7. Worse than even with iOS 7.1, particularly if your on iPhone 4 or 4S! Which ironically Apple said 7.1 has fixes & improvements for. My two iPhone 4S worked a lot better with 7.0.6, than 7.1. And it worked tons better with iOS 6, than it does with iOS 7. Even better with iOS 5. Software for the iPhone & iPad is going down the tubes. It's horrible now....

What you need to do is restore you devices as new with a fresh install set them up like new. There's no reason you need to keep resting your device your probably carrying over a corrupt OS by OTA updates

bgriff25

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Whenever it starts to act funny. Probably about once every 10-14 days. I don't know if it really fixes anything, but it makes me feel better:)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

What you need to do is restore you devices as new with a fresh install set them up like new. There's no reason you need to keep restoring your device. You're probably carrying over a corrupt OS by OTA updates

'nuf said....:)...Restore it and then set it up as new - not from a backup.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods