Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By kd7irm
  • 1 Post By ZapharaArts
  • 2 Post By pkcable
  • 1 Post By itsMohsinK
  • 1 Post By bparks115
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Nanite

9 Posts

Default Where is the best place to learn Swift?

I am wanting to learn swift, but there are so many options out there to take a course on it. What are some worthwhile options?
    iMore Intermediate

113 Posts

Default Re: Where is the best place to learn Swift?

Do you have any coding experience? Udemy is a good start, Rick Walter's "iOS 8 Swift how to make a freaking iPhone app" is a good one. iTunes U is great as well, the Stanford "Developing iOS 8 apps with Swift" is a good one. Are you looking for a physical classroom/boot camp type setting? Big Nerd Ranch may be of interest, check them out at www.bignerdranch.com

Hope these help. Have fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ajl and fiya_lance like this.
    iMore Newbie

17 Posts

I've found Ray Wenderlich's free online tutorials very helpful. Lots of small projects with a simple focus so you can run them right away and then start making changes. Usually when I want to add something new to a project I search there first and often find exactly what I need. That is how I got started with Swift for games.
    MickWarkGames1 likes this.
    iMore Nanite

7 Posts

It really depends on your level of experience with coding and development in general. The "Complete iOS Developer Course" on Udemy would be my favourite, as it basically goes start-to-finish and is quite comprehensive. It's a good deal if you can pick it up on sale. If you are already fairly experienced, something more self-directed would also work. You could even try just searching through StackOverflow answers to get a feel for how the language works.
    Q&A Jedi

3,356 Posts

The younger set and programming novice might try Apple new Swift Playground app.....

Swift Playgrounds will help anyone learn how to code on iPad | iMore
    Just_Me_D and fiya_lance like this.
    iMore Newbie

32 Posts

Udemy have some amazing iOS 10 courses, check them out.
    fiya_lance likes this.
    iMore Beginner

59 Posts

Nick Walters course is okay. I feel like there's too much "here's what to do" and not enough "here's WHY you do it" though.

I just started Mark Price's iOS 10 and Swift 3 course on Udemy and I feel like I've already learned a lot more with his. Plus he offers a lot more resources. It's $50, but there's constantly 50% off coupons.

Also, check out some of Simon Allardice's Fundamentals of Programming courses on Lynda. Good way to get some of the essential fundamentals down.
    fiya_lance likes this.
    iMore Nanite

3 Posts

I'll be sure to check out some of these thanks guys
    iMore Nanite

2 Posts

Hey, already lots of good advice here. All depends on the complexity of the apps you want to work on.

Personally, I started with swift, my first and only language (for now) about a year ago. Haven't taken any courses, just started by googling the basics of Swift (arrays, if stuff, for loops etc) fiddling with Xcode playgrounds, watching youtube videos and getting started on a project. Best thing to do is to get started on your project ASAP. Anytime you hit a hurdle, you can find solutions on sites like this, stack overflow etc.

This method's worked for me. Just got my second app in the store last week. Please give it a try and tell me what you think.

App name's SassyFacts. Here's the link: https://appsto.re/jp/5XqKeb.i

Kinda crazy trivia app with heaps of goofy crap like this thrown in:

Where is the best place to learn Swift?-pyramid.jpg

Anyway, hope you enjoy it, and good luck with the coding. Seriously, you'll pick up the basics in no time