Where is the best place to learn Swift?

kd7irm

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Do you have any coding experience? Udemy is a good start, Rick Walter's "iOS 8 Swift how to make a freaking iPhone app" is a good one. iTunes U is great as well, the Stanford "Developing iOS 8 apps with Swift" is a good one. Are you looking for a physical classroom/boot camp type setting? Big Nerd Ranch may be of interest, check them out at www.bignerdranch.com

Hope these help. Have fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ZapharaArts

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
I've found Ray Wenderlich's free online tutorials very helpful. Lots of small projects with a simple focus so you can run them right away and then start making changes. Usually when I want to add something new to a project I search there first and often find exactly what I need. That is how I got started with Swift for games.

gb_kf

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
It really depends on your level of experience with coding and development in general. The "Complete iOS Developer Course" on Udemy would be my favourite, as it basically goes start-to-finish and is quite comprehensive. It's a good deal if you can pick it up on sale. If you are already fairly experienced, something more self-directed would also work. You could even try just searching through StackOverflow answers to get a feel for how the language works.

bparks115

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Nick Walters course is okay. I feel like there's too much "here's what to do" and not enough "here's WHY you do it" though.

I just started Mark Price's iOS 10 and Swift 3 course on Udemy and I feel like I've already learned a lot more with his. Plus he offers a lot more resources. It's $50, but there's constantly 50% off coupons.

Also, check out some of Simon Allardice's Fundamentals of Programming courses on Lynda. Good way to get some of the essential fundamentals down.

kingfant

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Hey, already lots of good advice here. All depends on the complexity of the apps you want to work on.

Personally, I started with swift, my first and only language (for now) about a year ago. Haven't taken any courses, just started by googling the basics of Swift (arrays, if stuff, for loops etc) fiddling with Xcode playgrounds, watching youtube videos and getting started on a project. Best thing to do is to get started on your project ASAP. Anytime you hit a hurdle, you can find solutions on sites like this, stack overflow etc.

This method's worked for me. Just got my second app in the store last week. Please give it a try and tell me what you think.

App name's SassyFacts. Here's the link: https://appsto.re/jp/5XqKeb.i

Kinda crazy trivia app with heaps of goofy crap like this thrown in:

Pyramid.jpg

Anyway, hope you enjoy it, and good luck with the coding. Seriously, you'll pick up the basics in no time

Guille Barfer

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
Udacity is a great website where you can learn Swift and iOS programming. Remember that for developing apps for iOS you need to learn Swift, the official Apple programming language, and how to develop software with Cocoa Touch. With Udacity courses you'll learn from scratch to develop great apps for iPhone and iPad :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2