Do I need to be a member of iOS Developers program to develop and install my app ?

aneuryzma

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Do I need to be a member of iOS Developers program to develop and install an app on my iPad ?

Or can I just run Xcode and specify the device on which to install it ?

thanks

MiracleMan

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
You have to spring the $99 per year to get on the Apple iOS developer program. They have a free version where you can download Xcode and build apps for their simulator, but to get something on your phone, even if its just for you, you have to get a signing certificate, set up provisioning profiles and build your app against that data (this is how Apple keeps apps from just appearing in the wild)

gray_wolf

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
iOS Developer program

Do I need to be a member of iOS Developers program to develop and install an app on my iPad ?

Or can I just run Xcode and specify the device on which to install it ?

thanks

Hello
You can develop iphone apps without this membership. But it will be possible to run app on iphone simulator only :(. So answer: no it isn't
Best regards, Andrey

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
(this is how Apple keeps apps from just appearing in the wild)

Clever guys they are lol

As mentioned above you can actually develop apps without the membership but to get it on your iPad you will need to pay the $99 but you can also use the simulator which is added in with the SDK however, if you develop apps that uses a camera for instance or the accelerometer then you will need to test it on an actual device as the simulator will not be able to do those actions.

hpcomputergeek

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
You can develop the app. But you can register as a free developer to get Xcode. Also, I think you need to have your UDID registered in the Apple developer program to test your app. Just look on eBay for some spots.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
You either register with Apple or you don't do it. You cannot look on ebay for spots - that is against Apple's developer policies.

iV1SHAL

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I think $99 is a small price to pay for future earning potential and yo genuinely test your app and you may be able to sell yours spots to testers to get some form of rebate.

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I think $99 is a small price to pay for future earning potential and yo genuinely test your app and you may be able to sell yours spots to testers to get some form of rebate.

As mentioned above, not only does this violate apples policies which you agree to uphold when you sign on as a developer, but it is mortally wrong.

"Spots" as those that are not registered with apple as developers are calling the UMEI registration process, are not to turn a profit but to allow developers to test their apps on multiple devices. For someone to think this is an appropriate practice, is absurd. This suggestion amounts to unfair business practice and should not be tolerated on the forums. Anyone selling "spots" should be immediately reported to apple.

Last edited:

Paulyeo11

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

I never paid $99, as I just want to get a feel how to develop app.

I try to develop a simple app , and I simulate it work fine , and I try to create ipa file for distribute to my iphone to test, I keep getting build failed . So does it mean that unless I paid $99 , then I can put the app on my iphone to run ?

Hope some one can confirm.

Paul

FlopTech

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
... I try to develop a simple app , and I simulate it work fine , and I try to create ipa file for distribute to my iphone to test, I keep getting build failed. ...

There are differences between the compilers for the simulator and for actual iPhone / iPad hardware. We have found that some older code needs to be updated slightly to compile correctly for actual hardware.

FlopTech

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
It's been a long time, so I had to search Apple's site. But it looks like you can register as an Apple Developer free here:

Register as an Apple Developer

Registered Apple Developers can build apps and test them in the iPhone and iPad simulators. But if you want to test your apps on actual iPhone / iPod touch / iPad hardware, you need to pay the $99/year to become an iOS Developer Program member. (And of course, you must become an iOS Developer Program member to submit any apps to the App Store.)

There are other benefits to joining the Developer Program. You will get early access to OS X (maybe?) and iOS beta releases, access to the Developer Forums which are full of very useful threads, etc. And you'll be able to access iTunes Connect, which "provides tools to help manage your content in the App Store" in their exact words.

The simulators are very good, but they don't simulate things like your iPhone's Camera Roll, bad AT&T reception (LOL), certain types of iOS system warnings, etc. Testing on the simulators is just the first step.

Hope this helped.

Note that the iOS Developer Program membership and Mac Developer Program membership are separate. $99/year for each.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73