Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ringfinger
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    867 Global Posts

Default Live Photos

So I have an iPhone 7 now and looks like I have the ability to do Live Photos. What exactly is the purpose of that or benefit of that or when does it start and when does it and as far as the timeframe that you're taking the picture?

Also, I noticed when I did a back up to the Amazon photo cloud it does not retain the feature. Will that be true when I take the photos and put them on my computer? I'm wondering how you retain that feature of the live photo?
    gordol likes this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    4,339 Global Posts

Default Re: Live Photos

What exactly is the purpose: some people would like to preserve not just a single frame of a moment but what happens shortly before that and shortly after that. It's basically a shorthand of taking a very short video with a photo taken separately exactly in the middle. One difference, however, is that one can use Live Photos as a Live Dynamic Background as the Lock Screen background image, whereas this can't be done for videos.

When does it start and end: Based on testing, Live Photos seem to start around 1.2 seconds before the shutter is pressed and ends 1.2 seconds after the shutter is pressed.

Once you sync your photos to your PC, the Live Photo will be split into main .jpg photo and the .mov file which contains the 2.4-second-long video. I'm using a Windows PC (not a MacBook), so the experience in a MacBook may be different (or better).
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    867 Global Posts

Yeah, I just get the JPEG. So, no go for me I guess. I moved from my phone to my NAS wireless, maybe that is the issue?

EDIT: You need to plug into the PC to get the files I see now. Can't just wirelessly transfer to NAS. Now if I could only find a service (APP) that will reliably transfer the MOV and JPG for each file. Doesn't seem AMAZON Photo does it. A back-up service that is in case I have phone issues.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    4,626 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ringfinger View Post
    Yeah, I just get the JPEG. So, no go for me I guess. I moved from my phone to my NAS wireless, maybe that is the issue?

EDIT: You need to plug into the PC to get the files I see now. Can't just wirelessly transfer to NAS. Now if I could only find a service (APP) that will reliably transfer the MOV and JPG for each file. Doesn't seem AMAZON Photo does it. A back-up service that is in case I have phone issues.
    Google Photos now back up live photos. See Google Photos now supports Live Photos on iOS - The Verge
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    867 Global Posts

Very nice, thanks!!