Live Photos

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
So I have an iPhone 7 now and looks like I have the ability to do Live Photos. What exactly is the purpose of that or benefit of that or when does it start and when does it and as far as the timeframe that you're taking the picture?

Also, I noticed when I did a back up to the Amazon photo cloud it does not retain the feature. Will that be true when I take the photos and put them on my computer? I'm wondering how you retain that feature of the live photo?

gpobernardo

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
What exactly is the purpose: some people would like to preserve not just a single frame of a moment but what happens shortly before that and shortly after that. It's basically a shorthand of taking a very short video with a photo taken separately exactly in the middle. One difference, however, is that one can use Live Photos as a Live Dynamic Background as the Lock Screen background image, whereas this can't be done for videos.

When does it start and end: Based on testing, Live Photos seem to start around 1.2 seconds before the shutter is pressed and ends 1.2 seconds after the shutter is pressed.

Once you sync your photos to your PC, the Live Photo will be split into main .jpg photo and the .mov file which contains the 2.4-second-long video. I'm using a Windows PC (not a MacBook), so the experience in a MacBook may be different (or better).

Ringfinger

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I just get the JPEG. So, no go for me I guess. I moved from my phone to my NAS wireless, maybe that is the issue?

EDIT: You need to plug into the PC to get the files I see now. Can't just wirelessly transfer to NAS. Now if I could only find a service (APP) that will reliably transfer the MOV and JPG for each file. Doesn't seem AMAZON Photo does it. A back-up service that is in case I have phone issues.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I just get the JPEG. So, no go for me I guess. I moved from my phone to my NAS wireless, maybe that is the issue?

EDIT: You need to plug into the PC to get the files I see now. Can't just wirelessly transfer to NAS. Now if I could only find a service (APP) that will reliably transfer the MOV and JPG for each file. Doesn't seem AMAZON Photo does it. A back-up service that is in case I have phone issues.

Google Photos now back up live photos. See Google Photos now supports Live Photos on iOS - The Verge

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro