Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Default iBooks problem on iPad with iOS 9.3.3

Since updating to 9.3.3 all I can see in iBooks on my iPad Air 2 are "My Books." The other tabs (Featured, NYTimes, Top Charts, Top Authors, and Purchased) are all blank screens. My "Purchased" tab will sometimes show that I have 2 updates available, but the screen is still blank so I can't tap on anything to update. I also can't search for or purchase any books on the app.

The iBooks app seems to be working fine on my iPhone 6 that is running 9.3.3, so I'm not sure if it's an OS glitch, something that's just an iPad issue, or something going on with my device. I have powered off and rebooted several times and this has not corrected the problem.

Is anyone else having this issue, or is it just me?
    iMore Intermediate

Default Re: iBooks problem on iPad with iOS 9.3.3, anyone else having these problems??

I would try a soft reset, hold both start button and top button together, see if that helps.
    iMore Nanite

Default Re: iBooks problem on iPad with iOS 9.3.3, anyone else having these problems??

I am having the same issue. I also have lists I subscribe to and usually I can tap the link from my email and it pulls up iBooks and let's me download the book but all I get now is my library... Real annoying!
    iMore Nanite

I have the exact same issue. My iPad is up to date with 9.3.3,and I have done the hard reset twice. I read elsewhere to make sure I accept cookies by going in to settings, Safari etc, no luck. I'm leaving for vacation and would like to download a new book.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Newbie

Default Re: iBooks problem on iPad with iOS 9.3.3

Tried the soft reset and no changes. Looks like several are having this issue.
    iMore Nanite

I'm suddenly having this problem also, and not just with iOS 9.3.3. I purchased a book a few days ago without a problem. Went in to do the same today, and all pages except "My Books" are blank. After reading this forum, I checked my iOS, and it was 9.2.1 (or maybe 9.1.2?). I figured it already wasn't working, so I upgraded to 9.3.3. Still not working (which I kind of expected). This is with an iPad Mini.
    iMore Nanite

I found more (similar) complaints here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7616903
    I did the forced restart they mentioned (also suggested in this forum), and it worked.....my store is back!
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    iMore Newbie

Nothing I did before worked, but suddenly today everything in iBooks seems to working correctly. Not sure if something changed with my iPad (which I really doubt), or if there was a problem with the iBooks system. Either way, I'm glad to having it working again!
    iMore Elite

Quote Originally Posted by jimpalmer3 View Post
    Since updating to 9.3.3 all I can see in iBooks on my iPad Air 2 are "My Books." The other tabs (Featured, NYTimes, Top Charts, Top Authors, and Purchased) are all blank screens. My "Purchased" tab will sometimes show that I have 2 updates available, but the screen is still blank so I can't tap on anything to update. I also can't search for or purchase any books on the app.

The iBooks app seems to be working fine on my iPhone 6 that is running 9.3.3, so I'm not sure if it's an OS glitch, something that's just an iPad issue, or something going on with my device. I have powered off and rebooted several times and this has not corrected the problem.

Is anyone else having this issue, or is it just me?
    iBooks would not open for me when I updated to the previous update. Now I have no idea how I resolved that.

Anyway under 9.3.3 iBooks still working fine.
    iMore Nanite

An educated guess would be that the server for iBooks was having a problem, or the app itself has a temporary bug that can be killed on reset.
    iMore Elite

If only I could remember how iBooks was fixed. Could have been a reset but not sure.
    iMore Nanite

So, I had the same problem and finally figured out a way to fix it.

First, iBooks is a kludge. Does not work at all with audiobooks. There is, however, an Apple app that was designed specifically for large audio files - Podcast.

Hook your iPad up to your computer and move all of your audiobooks to the iPad. They will show up in the 'Audiobooks' folder of your iPad. Go to that folder and you'll see all of your audiobooks. Select all of them then right click on the selected group. You'll get a message asking you if you want to edit all of these files and just click the 'OK' button. As part of the 'Get Info' dialog you'll see the 'Options' button. Click on that tab and look for 'media kind.' It should indicate 'audiobook'. Change it to 'Podcast'. Then click 'OK.' Wait for a bit because the iPad has to munch along on these files.

Go to your iPad and start the 'Podcast' app. You'll se your audiobooks there. So easy a cave man could do it....