How to remove news items from search screen?

Chris_BP

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
How do you remove the news items from the search screen (the one that displays Siri suggestions and nearby places)

I would like to keep everything but the news.

The only way I have been able to get rid of the news is to totally disable Siri suggestions in spotlight search, but that disables nearby places etc.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Chris.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore, Chris! You can turn news stories off in Spotlight Search by going to Settings > General > Spotlight Search, and toggling OFF Siri Suggestions. Keep in mind this will also disable the Siri Suggestions and Nearby section in addition to News.

Chris_BP

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
Hi, welcome to iMore.

If you go to Settings > General > Spotlight Search you can disable news over there.

Hi, thanks, that did not work for me. The only option is to (as per the other suggestion) to disable Siri suggestions, which then also disable sell info on the page - which I have done. Anything to get rid of the disgustingly biased news items apple is pumping out which seek to undermine the democratic vote we have just made in Britain. Suspect they are worried about the tax they are going to have to pay now!

Anyhoo.

Thanks for the help.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi, thanks, that did not work for me. The only option is to (as per the other suggestion) to disable Siri suggestions, which then also disable sell info on the page - which I have done. Anything to get rid of the disgustingly biased news items apple is pumping out which seek to undermine the democratic vote we have just made in Britain. Suspect they are worried about the tax they are going to have to pay now!

Anyhoo.

Thanks for the help.

Keep in mind you can always adjust your news preferences within the actual News app.

Chris_BP

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
Keep in mind you can always adjust your news preferences within the actual News app.

I did that. One anti democratic news item apple kept promoting was from the independent. I removed the independent from my feed which removed that specific item, however, the next day (yesterday) When I (and others) noticed Apple was filtering out all democratic news and only promoting anti democratic items, I clicked on one and found it was from the independent - so it makes no difference what your personal configuration is, Apple overrides this and displays news items it chooses.

Suggest anyone from the UK has a look at the news items Apple is promoting on the search page and tries to find a single one that isn't anti Brexit.

I'm sorry Apple, you can't overturn a democratic decision that will force you to pay the correct amount of tax!

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure Apple is so much into brainwashing through its News feed in Siri Suggestions. The fact of the matter is that the Brexit vote is a big news item worldwide and the majority of the world disagrees with the UK's decision to leave the EU. That may have a larger impact than Apple's personal opinion on the matter.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
No, I just disabled siri suggestions all together - that stopped the anti democratic brainwashing news Apple is promoting from appearing on my phone.
I'm not sure Apple is so much into brainwashing through its News feed in Siri Suggestions. The fact of the matter is that the Brexit vote is a big news item worldwide and the majority of the world disagrees with the UK's decision to leave the EU. That may have a larger impact than Apple's personal opinion on the matter.

I'm curious to see how all that shakes out. Definitely a large movement! I'm not seeing much so far saying it was wise but time will tell.

Good luck over there.

Chris_BP

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site

No, it's totally biased and aimed at brainwashing - 100% fringe news.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
No, it's totally biased and aimed at brainwashing - 100% fringe news.

We are certainly all entitled to our opinions but I find it hard to believe Apple has a brainwashing lab in Cupertino aimed at pushing out biased news for something that has already occurred. What exactly is in it for them?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
We are certainly all entitled to our opinions but I find it hard to believe Apple has a brainwashing lab in Cupertino aimed at pushing out biased news for something that has already occurred. What exactly is in it for them?

Exactly. If the majority of news is anything like I'm seeing (not from Apple, but anywhere), and if I didn't agree, I could see it as biased.

But that's how we do it here in the US. If it's news we don't agree with, it's called biased. Even news that's said to be unbiased is biased. You just have to weed through the crap and/or listen to both sides to find the middle (i.e. truth) somewhere in there.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Then again,  has licenses with some major publishers, if those publishers decide to write certain articles with their own opinion, it stays the publishers opinion.

 is just that booth on the corner of the street, selling (making available to the majority of iOS users) to read those papers.
In no way can somebody suggest  is biased at some point. This simply is just not true.

And I gave you the option to disable that "biased" (as you call it) news suggestion in Siri by simply switching the region to the states, disabling news suggestions in Siri and than switch back to your precious UK.

That way you're not crippling Siri.
Why would you want to cripple such a good entity anyway?

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I think that iOS 10 allows you to choose what you want to have in the spotlight search, so you should be able to remove news once it's out to the public, or if you decide to jump on to the betas.

Joseph Davis

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
I challenge you to find a headline in spotlight search that leans right, if it happens at all it is 1 headline out of 100 left wing ones. I started months ago, and I think I have found one right leaning news story. This is not a News App, it is just left wing propaganda.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner