iPhone 6 Overheating issues on iOS 9.3.1

OniTamo30

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
Ever since I installed iOS 9.3 my iPhone 6 heats up very quickly, same thing on 9.3.1, it occurs when doing two things:
Watching youtube (normal brightness, 720p) and whenever I turn on Megapolis (a not quite graphically intensive game).

It gets so uncomfortably hot that I have to turn off the screen, put it on some cold surface and wait until it cools a little.

I restarted it a couple of times and did a full iTunes restore yesterday, nothing's changed.

Does anyone have the same issue?

If yes, have you tried/managed to fix it?

_________

Im not amused by Apple, first they decreased performance on every iDevice on iOS 9 except on 6S, then all the bugs, now this heat issues. Not funny!

You pay 700€ for your device and a year later it's sh*t

Last edited:

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
They didn't decrease performance in any phone. Actually quite on the contrary iOS 9.3.1 is the best iOS ever.

The iPhone 6 shouldn't overheat. You have a defective unit or a bad behaving app.

The iPhones are BY FAR the best smartphones on the market regarding thermal behavior.

Last edited:

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
iOS 9.3.1 is by far the best iPhone OS I've ever had. No issues here.
A rogue app is the likely cause of the heating issue. It may go away on it's own.
What other bugs do you have?

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Excuse me? :rotfl:

How can you say that it's the best iOS ever? hahaha

I'm waiting for an unbiased opinion

It's not about weather or not this is the best OS version.

One thing to take into consideration is when you install software, in this case iOS, over the top of the current software you will sometimes find that some files get corrupt. Corrupt files can cause all kinds of different wonky things to happen. This is not specific to Apple software, it can happen with any software.

Troubleshooting the issue is the best way to narrow down problems. Factory reset and do not restore from backup or reinstall 3rd party apps. Just update the default apps that came with the phone. A factory reset replaces any possible OS files that may have been corrupted during the overwrite of the OS, and it gives you the chance to do a clean install of the default apps.

If you do that and still get an overheating issue, then chances are that you have a hardware issue. Probably the GPU if it's only overheating while playing videos. I doubt it would be the YouTube app since there has not been a huge influx of people on the forum complaining about it. I also doubt it's the OS itself because you would of installed fresh OS system files after the factory reset. If it were the OS then there would of been a huge influx of posts about it here on iMore right after 9.3.1 was released.

I always factory reset after an OS update because I want fresh OS files on my phone so that I can have the best user experience with my device. As long as I was not experiencing any big problems I can then restore from backup.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods