How does an iTunes Backup and Restore work?

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
In the past, before iOS 9, when you did an iTunes backup of an iPhone to a computer (Mac or Windows) it not only downloaded all of the data that the iPhone had in it but also all of the apps that were installed on the iPhone. Somewhere along the line things changed, I think it started with iOS 9. When you make an iTunes backup now your installed apps aren't backed up or transferred to your computer as part of the backup process.

OK, so with all of that said... How the heck does iTunes restore a backup of an iPhone when you don't have the apps installed on the iPhone to have said data restored to? If you're dealing with a clean newly bought iPhone or one that you've decided to just erase and reload, there would be no data on said iPhone. No apps, no settings, nothing. So again, how does iTunes restore your apps and app data when it doesn't have the apps to transfer and reload to the phone?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Being that the backup includes your home screen setup and app data, during the restore, that information is put back in its place on your home screen, including the re-installation of the apps.

Beards

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
A backup is a backup of whatever you have on your device at the time of said backup.
Just how much of what is backed up is down to which backup method you choose.
iCloud backup ~ This only backs up what is deemed as essential as in contacts, photos and all other info included within the iCloud setup.
iTunes backup ~ This backs up most of your device including whatever apps you have installed and their data.
iTunes Encrypted backup ~ Similar to a standard iTunes backup only this time it deals with 'Privacy'.
It backs up every single byte of data you have on your device.
Note: It is the only backup that backs up the Health apps daily recorded data.

LenaYYY

Banned
Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
1. Connect your iPhone to computer > Open iTunes > Click the iOS device name.
2. Tap "This computer" button > Choose "Back Up Now" on Backups column.
3. Tap "This Computer" button > Tick "Encrypt iPhone/iPad backup" to enter into password.
4. After the backup, connect your the device you want to restore to computer > Choose Restore Backup in Backups column > Choose backup to restore.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
In the past, before iOS 9, when you did an iTunes backup of an iPhone to a computer (Mac or Windows) it not only downloaded all of the data that the iPhone had in it but also all of the apps that were installed on the iPhone. Somewhere along the line things changed, I think it started with iOS 9. When you make an iTunes backup now your installed apps aren't backed up or transferred to your computer as part of the backup process.

OK, so with all of that said... How the heck does iTunes restore a backup of an iPhone when you don't have the apps installed on the iPhone to have said data restored to? If you're dealing with a clean newly bought iPhone or one that you've decided to just erase and reload, there would be no data on said iPhone. No apps, no settings, nothing. So again, how does iTunes restore your apps and app data when it doesn't have the apps to transfer and reload to the phone?

Mine are. Once in the while I will do a backup. But, even as late as last night I erased my iPad completely. The restored from the latest backup which was created just before the restore.

Worked great. All the applications were put into their original folders in which I created.

All the passwords to all the forums were saved. All the applications and information within them were transferred back to the iPad.

Using version 9.3.1 on that iPad Pro.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods