iPhone 6 spontaneously muting calls

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed several times in the past two weeks that when talking on the phone via a headset, both wired and bluetooth, but more often when on bluetooth, that my iPhone 6 will spontaneously activate mute.

I am not touching any controls on the headset and the phone is sitting on a desk or table top, screen up and hands-off.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
To date, I've not experienced anything like that. What iOS version are you running? You might want to consider restoring it.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Turns out it's worse that that. I was on a call this evening, using a wired headset and the phone was face up in my lap, my hands no where near it. While talking to my Dad, it spontaneiously opened up a Contact Search and loaded a result I wasn't even thinking about. And I know it was a Search result, because the "back" button in the top left said " < Search "

I'm using the current release of iOS.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Turns out it's worse that that. I was on a call this evening, using a wired headset and the phone was face up in my lap, my hands no where near it. While talking to my Dad, it spontaneiously opened up a Contact Search and loaded a result I wasn't even thinking about. And I know it was a Search result, because the "back" button in the top left said " < Search "

I'm using the current release of iOS.

Dude, if it were me, I would assume that something is corrupted or compromised and therefore, I'd be putting the device in DFU mode, and having iTunes install a fresh copy of iOS on the device, and then I'd take the time to set it up as new.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Dude, if it were me, I would assume that something is corrupted or compromised and therefore, I'd be putting the device in DFU mode, and having iTunes install a fresh copy of iOS on the device, and then I'd take the time to set it up as new.

Yeah. :( Be a couple of days before I'll have the time for that.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. :( Be a couple of days before I'll have the time for that.

Yikes, good luck. Setting as new is a pain but it always makes the phone run so smooth. Had to do that myself recently but I like the results.

What you went through is odd, but thankfully there's a relatively easy fix :)

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Yikes, good luck. Setting as new is a pain but it always makes the phone run so smooth. Had to do that myself recently but I like the results.

What you went through is odd, but thankfully there's a relatively easy fix :)

Finally had the time to do this yesterday. Man, I hate having to do that. It takes me days to get everything set back the way I like, and I always forget how to do something and have to google it. I won't know if that resolves the issue or not for some time, though.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, after the factory reset and reinstall-as-new everything under iOS9.2 on Sunday, then an OTA update to 9.3 yesterday, I can confirm that the problem is not resolved. I am still seeing spurious actions on screen while on phone calls. Spontaneously muting, switching screens, and other weirdness.

Over the course of this happening, I have used different BT headsets, a wired headset and speakerphone.

My phone is possessed, and apparently not by me.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2