Did Apple remove "Create AAC version" from iTunes?

denzilla

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
I tried to create some ringtones from mp3's and all the context menu offers is to create an mp3 version. It's already an mp3, so not much good there. Did they remove the convert to AAC option?

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, the other day I was trying to create a ringtone & it wouldn't work. I also changed the import settings & nothing worked b

denzilla

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
I changed the import settings from mp3 to AAC and it brought the option back. I didn't have to do that before....strange.

Thanks! :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I changed the import settings from mp3 to AAC and it brought the option back. I didn't have to do that before....strange.

Thanks for the update, and we're glad you got it figured out. Enjoy your Sunday...:)

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

Yes, this has been the situation since day one. If you ever change the import setting to MP3 or Apple Lossless, etc., or even change the bit rate for what ever reason, this will also change your "convert to" for when you right click on a file. I have always wished Apple would change this, but it's a minor complaint of mine.

denzilla

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Changing the import settings to mp3 is something I do by default with any iTunes install. Maybe I forgot after a fresh install or something.....

denzilla

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
You have to change your import settings to AAC in order for the "create AAC" option to be available. Your import settings determine what it offers to create.

denzilla

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Once you convert the song to AAC, you have to trim it to no more than 30sec in length and lastly, you have to change the file extension fro m4a to m4r.

It's damn stupid you can't just select an MP3, m4a, etc and use it as a ringtone. Maybe this will get dealt with one day.

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
Once you convert the song to AAC, you have to trim it to no more than 30sec in length and lastly, you have to change the file extension fro m4a to m4r.

It's damn stupid you can't just select an MP3, m4a, etc and use it as a ringtone. Maybe this will get dealt with one day.

Thanks, I'll try this out. It's really stupid u gotta go they this much for a damn ringtone

denzilla

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
I use a program named Wavepad to edit my audio files. It's free for home use.

Audio Editing Software. Sound, Music, Voice & Mp3 Editor

The catch is the free version will not allow saving in AAC format, so you have to jump through some hoops to create the ringtone:

Open MP3 in Wavepad, trim file to no more than 30 seconds and save as MP3. Now use iTunes to create the AAC version. Once you've done all that, simply change the file extension from m4a to m4r and add the file back to iTunes.

I know there is probably a simpler way to go about this, but it's what I'm used to doing.

Mathias80

Dec 20, 2016
Visit site
I am trying to make a ringtone on my Mac through iTunes. The song kind is "Purchased AAC audio file". I go through the steps to change the length and hit OK. It does not duplicate it into my library, instead it just changes the original song to the shorter length. And there is no option when I right click to change to an AAC. I assume this is because it was already one to start with. My AAC Encoder is on as well. What am I missing here????

SwitchBeach

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
I am trying to make a ringtone on my Mac through iTunes. The song kind is "Purchased AAC audio file". I go through the steps to change the length and hit OK. It does not duplicate it into my library, instead it just changes the original song to the shorter length. And there is no option when I right click to change to an AAC. I assume this is because it was already one to start with. My AAC Encoder is on as well. What am I missing here????
What format is set in your "Import" settings?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2