Law Suit for iPhone 4s

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Guess what. The person who sued Mcdonalds because the lids were loose and the coffee was too hot and burned her while driving won millions! She also had a great lawyer but thats besides the point. Apple should of prevented the 4s from updating to the OS 9 like iphone 4 or at least warn naive customers that updating 4s would render the phone unusable.
That's just it. The device is NOT unusable.
Perhaps Apple knew this and forced millions of 4s users to purchase another iphone to make billions more. If Apple allowed users to roll back to previous versions after learning how awful os 9 is for older phones then we wouldn't have this lawsuit.
Maybe, but I suspect that many of those people would be ticked at not having the options/features provided to the newer device running the latest iOS version.
You can blame the customers for upgrading 4s but you also have to blame Apple for not giving out any warnings.
You're under the assumption that everyone who has an iPhone 4S running iOS 9+ is having problems or is complaining.
I hope Apple loses because they can afford it
So just because they have a ton of money, it's okay for them lose a lawsuit?
and quite frankly they need to get back to their roots and start listening to customers again. OS 9 is laggy for older models and apple better listen before there stock crumbles.
Thanks for sharing your opinion with us. Take care.

Last edited:

impulse9

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
I own Iphone 4s and I must admit that after the update it has been running a little bit slower, however lawsuit such as this seems just..weird :)

jroto

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
I honestly just think Apple should open up every update, from iOS 5 to iOS 8.4.1, for one week. Enough time for everyone to downgrade to whatever version they want, while warning everyone of the security risks that having the older version will have.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
A simple analogy using cars:

Car 1 - 2011 mid-sized sedan, premium cloth seats, can go from 0 to 60 in 10 seconds.
Car 2 - 2016 mid-sized sedan, premium leather seats, can go from 0 to 60 in 4 seconds.

Car 1 was upgraded with everything upgradeable that car 2 has, except the engine. After upgrading everything that's upgradeable, the owner of car 1 is now ticked that the car he bought brand new 5 years ago cannot perform in the manner of car two that came out this year, ignoring the fact that the engine's specs of his car is outdated and cannot perform at the level of Car 2's engine.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
That's what we call a straw man analogy. There is no true analogy between smartphones and cars for something like this.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Be that as it may, the comparison, in and of itself, is legit.

That never happens (at least at anywhere near the scale) with cars. So, not legit.

The better analogy is imagining an older model car that could drive highway speeds that added equipment that weighed so much that it prevented it from going highway speeds. But, remove the heavy equipment and it performs acceptably again.

There are few analogies in consumer products of a product that can have something new installed that reduces usability without being able to get the usability back by removing what was installed.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That never happens (at least at anywhere near the scale) with cars. So, not legit.

The better analogy is imagining an older model car that could drive highway speeds that added equipment that weighed so much that it prevented it from going highway speeds. But, remove the heavy equipment and it performs acceptably again.

There are few analogies in consumer products of a product that can have something new installed that reduces usability without being able to get the usability back by removing what was installed.

Okay

MrRJ

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site

Whether the analogy is flawed or not is completely not the point. Apple told users that iOS9 was designed with older hardware in mind and promised an improved experience over iOS8. If that turns out not to be the case and indeed offers a worse experience (as it does), they have every right to be disappointed. To use your false analogy of cars, it's as though Apple said 'this upgrade will improve your cars performance positively' only for users to find that it doesn't!

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Whether the analogy is flawed or not is completely not the point. Apple told users that iOS9 was designed with older hardware in mind and promised an improved experience over iOS8. If that turns out not to be the case and indeed offers a worse experience (as it does), they have every right to be disappointed. To use your false analogy of cars, it's as though Apple said 'this upgrade will improve your cars performance positively' only for users to find that it doesn't!

But a user's experience is subjective and there are so many variations that could cause a negative experience, upgrade or not. There comes a point where users need to take a more active interest in how their iOS device works and operates. I have a friend who did upgrade and then proceeded to turn on every processor intensive setting they could find, then complained that he had no idea why his iPhone was running like crap.

MrRJ

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
But a user's experience is subjective and there are so many variations that could cause a negative experience, upgrade or not. There comes a point where users need to take a more active interest in how their iOS device works and operates. I have a friend who did upgrade and then proceeded to turn on every processor intensive setting they could find, then complained that he had no idea why his iPhone was running like crap.

But not everyone is doing that. Some upgraded, didn't change any settings and found that it was running badly. The point is that they were told by Apple that it would run better than iOS8. They should realise that many of their users will be complete novices that won't understand about CPUs and RAM and will simply want a phone to work!

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
But not everyone is doing that. Some upgraded, didn't change any settings and found that it was running badly. The point is that they were told by Apple that it would run better than iOS8. They should realise that many of their users will be complete novices that won't understand about CPUs and RAM and will simply want a phone to work!

Not everyone is buying a smartphone that is not an iPhone either.

Here is something to add a little controversy:

http://forums.imore.com/showthread.php?t=353518

Last edited: