Why can't I use TouchID to approve family share purchases?

EarleD

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Why do I have to have to enter my iCloud PW? shouldn't I be able to approve with my fingerprint. This is something Apple should implement.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't use the Family Share feature so I'll take your word for it. Hopefully, using your fingerprint will be an available option in regard to approval family share purchases soon. By the way, have you offered that suggestion to Apple via its feedback option?

EarleD

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I haven't yet but definitely will. It would be a great feature. My kids are always downloading a free game.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
That's a good point. We are starting this with our oldest. I know the password but my wife doesn't without looking in Lastpass. Didn't realize it asked for a password but makes sense :)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I haven't yet but definitely will. It would be a great feature. My kids are always downloading a free game.

With fingerprint, your kids would not be able to download free games, unless their fingerprints were added as well as yours. I have the fingerprint option for iTunes and the App Store. And I have to use the fingerprint even for free stuff.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
With fingerprint, your kids would not be able to download free games, unless their fingerprints were added as well as yours. I have the fingerprint option for iTunes and the App Store. And I have to use the fingerprint even for free stuff.

What the OP is asking about, I believe, is allowing the family share person to download when the "ask to buy" option is enabled. When they try to download, a notification is sent to the account owner to approve or deny the purchase.

It seems right now the only way to authorize is to enter your password, rather than use Touch ID.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201089

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
What the OP is asking about, I believe, is allowing the family share person to download when the "ask to buy" option is enabled. When they try to download, a notification is sent to the account owner to approve or deny the purchase.

It seems right now the only way to authorize is to enter your password, rather than use Touch ID.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201089

Exactly. As it is, the share person would need their prints entered as well as whoever the account boss. Thus, to allow the share members to download free stuff, they can't use the fingerprint.

EarleD

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Exactly. As it is, the share person would need their prints entered as well as whoever the account boss. Thus, to allow the share members to download free stuff, they can't use the fingerprint.
Why would the share person on the account need a fingerprint. They aren't authorizing anything. I am the only person who can auth a download.

EarleD

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
My oldest has a 6+ and my youngest a 4s. I just don't understand why they would need a fp. I can auth with pw.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Why would the share person on the account need a fingerprint. They aren't authorizing anything. I am the only person who can auth a download.

They currently don't. But neither can you use fingerprint. My point is you have to use password if they are to download their own free apps.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
It would be nice if it popped up with a prompt to allow, and the touch ID icon to authorize like when I download an app to my own device as parent. May be worth an email to the feedback team :)

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
That's cool. A good feature to look forward to in 9.3.

What's odd is that I vividly remember using TouchID to approve purchases for my kids in the past but then the feature went away. As mentioned it's back in iOS 9.3.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
What's odd is that I vividly remember using TouchID to approve purchases for my kids in the past but then the feature went away. As mentioned it's back in iOS 9.3.

You are correct. I had forgotten about TouchID being an option for the Family Share purchases, but have always used my password for approving the kid's purchases, and my own stuff.
Seems like this feature is missed by quite a few people. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7203062?start=45&tstart=0

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR