Technical question about iOS

denzilla

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Does the iPhone/iOS perform any cleanup/maintenance tasks while the phone is charging?

The reason I ask this is because since I bought my iPhone 6, I've always had problems with my mp3s stuttering/glitching/cutting out when playing through bluetooth headsets. I've been through 3 phone replacements and tried 2 different brands of headsets to resolve this problem. There has never been a problem when using wired headsets, only BT. What finally fixed my issues was iOS 9.1. After 9.1, My music played flawlessly up until about a week ago when the problem came creeping back. My phone also ran pretty slick after the latest update, but that to has also faded in the last few weeks. graphical stuttering has returned. Its like I'm back to pre iOS 9.1.

I charge my phone daily and remove it as soon as it hits 100% or close to it. If iOS is performing maintenance tasks in the background, how long does this take?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It's possible that apps that you've given permission regarding background app refresh could be the culprit. Go to Settings → General → Background App Refresh and review the listing, if applicable.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I wish it were that simple, but I haven't installed anything new.

If you set your phone up from a back up, you may want to try and restore as new. Not from a back up. It's a PITA, but often works wonders. The first 3 days with my 6s Plus was very problematic. I had set it up from my iPhone 5 back up. I finally broke down and restored as new. Clear sailing ever since.

denzilla

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
Phone was setup as new from beginning and each iOS update was installed from iTunes not OTA.

I guess I could do a restore as new, but its nuts that one has to do this as often as I read on these forums. Seems like there is something inherently flawed about Flash storage that makes it prone to corruption (On phones at least). Like bits don't get zeroed properly or there is no TRIM/garbage collection.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Phone was setup as new from beginning and each iOS update was installed from iTunes not OTA.

I guess I could do a restore as new, but its nuts that one has to do this as often as I read on these forums. Seems like there is something inherently flawed about Flash storage that makes it prone to corruption (On phones at least). Like bits don't get zeroed properly or there is no TRIM/garbage collection.

When you consider how relatively new smartphones are, I think they do rather well. They all have their issues. I don't expect perfection. It's the way it is with computers. Good luck.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Interesting problem... I listen to a bluetooth speaker (Beats Pill), bluetooth headphones (Beats Powerbeats) and my Sonos system (3 speakers) daily and do not experience any of these issues. I have a large collection of MP3s (approx 25k) that I listen to via Apple Match and I subscribe to Apple music... I mention all of this to point out that something seems specific to your setup... maybe your music collection? The way it is ripped/encoded?

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Any sort of maintenance tasks that the phone performs while plugged in (iCloud backup, etc) would have little to no impact on the performance of the phone. It never performs any task or series of tasks so intense that it would max out resources causing hiccups. The power profile of the phone is also more performance oriented when plugged in, meaning the CPU can be used more aggressively.

These things plus the fact that iOS is designed to be extremely smooth and not have the user experience lag due to deadlock, would indicate that it's your setup that's causing the problem rather than the phone's normal processing.

Are you using the stock music app to stream, or some 3rd party app?
How are you encoding your files?
There's something odd going on with your setup, and some smart folks around here can likely help you figure it out given the proper info.

denzilla

Jan 8, 2015
Visit site
All my CDs were ripped with Windows Media Player as 320kbps CBR mp3s. My purchased music is a mix of Amazon mp3, which are VBR and XBOX music, which are 320kbps CBR mp3s.

Again, no sound glitching at all with wired earbuds, only BT. My music collection played fine on my old Lumia 920 over BT using the same buds.

These are the apps I have installed:

Stock iPhone apps
My Radar Pro
Microsoft Word, OneDrive, OneNote, Excel, Office Lens
YouTube
ADP Mobile
MSN
Fox News
Net Analyzer
Fandango
Mematic
Adguard
Star Chart
Tetris
Pac-Man 256
Pac-Man CE DX
Halo Spartan Assualt
Halo Spartan Strike

Pcmx

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
I want to raise this up again because today I put my iPod touch 6 on charge for a few hours and while it was at 100% and had been on the charger long enough to have reached that before I was ready to use it, it was hot near the top where the chips are. It didn't say it was too hot but took a while to cool down and the imore app started freezing and glitching. The iPod had been restarted over the past weekend but I just shut it off and turned it back on again. Why would the cpu part of it be so warm after it already charged up?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234