Getting close to upgrade date for iphone, but ipad making me question it...

ronpfid

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
A couple weeks ago I got an ipad 2, my plans were to have it for the large screen when at home, and switch my phone from Android to an iphone 6s. But after setting up and using this ipad, there are some worries and concerns.....

1) I'm hoping the slowness of the ipad 2 is due to it's age when running ios9, and not ios9 itself? I'm used to almost instant response on my Note 4, but hoping an iphone 6s is also really fast, not laggy like an ipad 2?

2) I started a thread about email clients, after my last post I tested the few available on ios, most have some odd behaviors, so went back to the stock one, even though it wont poll imap for fast email receiving :(

3) I'm also kinda shocked at how few choices there are in 'in app;' settings menus, is this the norm?

4) I use evernote, man is that a chore on my ipad, trying to select text you press and hold, nothing, try again and again, finally it highlights. Is that, again, just the older ipad/app, or is that just how it is on ios 9?

If an new iphone 6s behaved like my ipad is, no way I could suffer all these annoyances, anyone maybe have an ipad 2 and a newer iphone to compare?

Thanks, Ron

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore! Your iPad is pretty old and I can promise you that you'll see a huge difference in the 6s. I have iPad 2s for both of my kids and the difference is night and day against my 6s Plus. The iPads are sluggish. I think your Evernote issues stem from this as well.

In app settings vary by app but it's safe to say that there are likely less settings than what you typically see in a lot of Android apps. For one, iOS maintains control of a lot of the settings. Secondly, most iOS users just like stuff to work without having to fool around with settings. If you like to tinker and tweak, Android is going to give you more opportunity to do so.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
The iPad 2 is several generations old. It has a slower CPU and 1/4 the RAM of the newest model. The slowness issues you're experiencing are due to that.

Selecting text can be a finicky thing. If your tap is one pixel off the word it might not work. Also, to select a word, try double-tapping instead.

And check the main Settings app for settings FOR apps in addition to within the app.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Selecting text can be a finicky thing. If your tap is one pixel off the word it might not work. Also, to select a word, try double-tapping instead.
The trackpad function within 3D Touch makes selecting text MUCH easier. Another welcomed upgrade offered up by the 6s/6s Plus.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

kurpaige

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
If spark or outlook apps for email are not fast enough IMAP email clients there might not be andlything on iOS that would make you happy. Those two I've found to be the best you can get imap idle to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ronpfid

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
The others were fast I tried, but just had some other issues. Haven't got to try spark, it must be iphone only as it doesn't come up if I search for it on my iPad. Outlook had so many poor reviews I didn't try it, but if your saying it's good, I'll give it a try :)

Posted via the iMore App for Android

ronpfid

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
Darn, outlook wont work, it will not connect to one of my accounts, my time warner, it says server name is wrong, but it's not, it's mail.twc.com. The advanced settings dont even let you choose security or port numbers.

I also have an app that says it needs an update, but when I click update, the little circle loading deal pops up, then goes right back to the update button and wont update.

IOS is quite annoying, I've never had to **** around with so much on a device and still not have things work right. .... argh...

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
A couple weeks ago I got an ipad 2, my plans were to have it for the large screen when at home, and switch my phone from Android to an iphone 6s. But after setting up and using this ipad, there are some worries and concerns.....

1) I'm hoping the slowness of the ipad 2 is due to it's age when running ios9, and not ios9 itself? I'm used to almost instant response on my Note 4, but hoping an iphone 6s is also really fast, not laggy like an ipad 2?

2) I started a thread about email clients, after my last post I tested the few available on ios, most have some odd behaviors, so went back to the stock one, even though it wont poll imap for fast email receiving :(

3) I'm also kinda shocked at how few choices there are in 'in app;' settings menus, is this the norm?

4) I use evernote, man is that a chore on my ipad, trying to select text you press and hold, nothing, try again and again, finally it highlights. Is that, again, just the older ipad/app, or is that just how it is on ios 9?

If an new iphone 6s behaved like my ipad is, no way I could suffer all these annoyances, anyone maybe have an ipad 2 and a newer iphone to compare?

Thanks, Ron

The poor performance is because it is a very old computer at this point. IMHO no one should be buying them and I don't know why Apple is still selling them.

ronpfid

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
It was cheap :)
But if that's why I'm having those issues then that's good, my iPad is just for fun, my phone is my work connection so it's gotta work right

Posted via the iMore App for Android

flyinion

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm new to iOS (just switched from years on Android) but I've gotta say it really sounds like the iPad is the culprit here. I've got no problems at all with my 6s+. I'm using the default mail app to connect to both GMail and via imap to my website's email server and both work just fine. I've also had no problems selecting text or anything like that.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73