I've noticed a similar but different message: "Your passcode is required to enable Touch ID." I got this today, despite having used the device last less than 12 hours ago. I suspect this is caused by a Touch-ID or security related process crashing. The message is similar to the "Enter Passcode to Enable Touch ID" shown when fingerprint reading fails 5 times.

If you device were to restart overnight, you'd get "iPad requires your passcode after restarting." Or I think it's "Passcode required after restarting." on iPhone. The messages seem slightly different between iPhone and iPad, but you get a different message if the device restarts.
    02-15-2016 10:51 AM
    I've noticed a similar but different message: "Your passcode is required to enable Touch ID." I got this today, despite having used the device last less than 12 hours ago. I suspect this is caused by a Touch-ID or security related process crashing. The message is similar to the "Enter Passcode to Enable Touch ID" shown when fingerprint reading fails 5 times.

If you device were to restart overnight, you'd get "iPad requires your passcode after restarting." Or I think it's "Passcode required after restarting." on iPhone. The messages seem slightly different between iPhone and iPad, but you get a different message if the device restarts.
    I've been getting the same early morning when I wake. But I usually wake a bit earlier and check my lock screen for time and notifications. Then 30 or 40 minutes later it says to "Enter Passcode...". Odd!
    02-15-2016 11:43 AM

Send feedback. I did.
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html
    02-15-2016 12:08 PM
    This is happening on my iPhone and iPad pro. I send feedback every time it happens.
    02-16-2016 08:09 AM
    This behavior is the rule for me if I sleep my iPad Pro (9.3.2) for more than a couple of hours. Uness it's a situation where I sleep it for just a few minutes (answering a phone call, answering nature's call, etc), I am forced to enter my password. It has been this way since I bought it, regardless of resets and a restore and updates. I have a strong password; this annoyance is driving me towards not having a damned password at all! That's probably the opposite of what Apple was trying to accomplish with the 48 hour requirement.
    07-29-2016 10:26 PM
55 123