Family Share and iCloud

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
So I setup Family Share for me, my husband and my two kids the other day. I went into iCloud settings and turned on calendar so I could have a shared family calendar for the four of us.

Now, when I go compose a new text message, I see contacts from my kids' phones that I really don't care to see. You know kids do millions of group messages, so every time I search for one of them, I also see a page of suggested group messages to contacts that don't exist on my phone. It's very annoying. Is there any way for me to turn that off?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
If you're sharing the same iCloud ID, that's why. You all need different Apple ID for iCloud, iMessage and Facetime.

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
If you're sharing the same iCloud ID, that's why. You all need different Apple ID for iCloud, iMessage and Facetime.

I had the kids on my id until I set up family share. Now they're on their own apple ids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I have my kids on family share with their own AppleIds used for iMessage. I also have a shared calendar. I don't see their contacts though.
Even though your kids have their own AppleIds, I would double check that they are not using your id still for iMessage. That's a separate sign in from iCloud. Check FaceTime as well.

I'll check again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
So I checked both of my kids' phones last night. Their iMessage and FaceTime were both not logged in using my Apple ID. In fact, they weren't logged in at all for iMessage and FT. I went ahead and logged them in so they could use their AppleID for those two features, but I was still getting the same issue when I compose a text. I just manually deleted the suggestions and will hope to never see them again. :)

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So I checked both of my kids' phones last night. Their iMessage and FaceTime were both not logged in using my Apple ID. In fact, they weren't logged in at all for iMessage and FT. I went ahead and logged them in so they could use their AppleID for those two features, but I was still getting the same issue when I compose a text. I just manually deleted the suggestions and will hope to never see them again. :)

We don't do Family Sharing. It's just my wife and I. We share an iTunes ID, but have separate iCloud, iMessage and Facetime. So I have no clue how one is set up. But if you continue to have issues, I would look at the set up. It's not supposed to do like that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2