Notification sounds issue in iOS 9

konjis1

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed this!!! Also no sound period coming from the device in that i have had to restart it in order for sounds to work.

Kins69

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
Seems to be a common problem. I imagine they'll fix it in the next update.
It is a common problem indeed. And when is the next update? It's not like I don't need to answer my calls or know when I have a Whatsapp message. Such issues should be solved immediately, and acknowledged by Apple. So far I see absolutely NO sign that they even take care of it!

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
9.01 didn't do anything to fix this, so that was an absolute bummer. And, yeah, I agree with the post above about how is it that none of the bloggers/sites that pump out 200 minisule to unimportant Apple updates/posts a day are having this problem? I have a hard time believing that.

WhatsApp is the biggest culprit with this problem, so yeah it might be tied to it having not updated since before 9 released. The main thing I've noticed with that is I'll have the volume up (I"m constantly swiping up to make sure volume is up) then I'll go into WhatsApp to play a video or audio message and as soon as I hit play it's dead silent so i have to swipe up again and raise the volume.

The other thing I've noticed is before 9 if I snoozed an alarm it would ring again at the end of the snooze period. Now? It doesn't. Snoozing an alarm is basically the same as turning it off right now. Thank god I set MULTIPLE alarms to wake up in the mornings or I'd have overslept numerous mornings since I updated to 9

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
As a workaround I changed my WhatsApp from 'banner' to 'alert' and now both texts and calls do notify ... The Facebook messenger and email ( I'm using Outlook for my gmail ) seem ok again.... FB messenger updated yesterday. ...

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The only apps that I use with sound notification active are the Phone app and Messages. I've not had any issues where I've missed an audible alert on my phone.

Sent from my mobile device via Tapatalk 3.2.1.

Me too, except I also get sound alert for VIP email. But those are sparse.

mark5019

May 2, 2013
Visit site
my mail sounds work after reboot then go away plus notifications sounds don't work. spoke to apple support they said seems like it's phone but worked before updated ios.
so tonight I have a Genius Bar appointment
will see where this Leeds me

PureView

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
The only apps that I use with sound notification active are the Phone app and Messages. I've not had any issues where I've missed an audible alert on my phone.

Sent from my mobile device via Tapatalk 3.2.1.
Because the problem is limited to third party apps only, at least in my case.

davidnicholas59

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
I see the issue with Apple provided calendar app.

Originally I had the sound associated with the calendar as the "classic->crickets".
In iOS9, this seems to have gone away, so while disappointed, I can understand the sound coming out as though there was no tone.
So I purchased a 3rd party cricket alert tone, and assigned that to calendar, and it worked that evening.
Next day I'm back to vibrate, but no tone. Worse still, when I went to re-assign the purchased alert, it was paying as null on the phone.
So in iTunes I removed it, synched, re-added and synched. Worked that night and broke next day again.
Next I tried a different tone. Worked that night, but failed again after a few hours. This time I was able to re-assign it, i.e. it hadn't been clobbered like the purchased one.

LMCranmer

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I see the issue with Apple provided calendar app.

Originally I had the sound associated with the calendar as the "classic->crickets".
In iOS9, this seems to have gone away, so while disappointed, I can understand the sound coming out as though there was no tone.
So I purchased a 3rd party cricket alert tone, and assigned that to calendar, and it worked that evening.
Next day I'm back to vibrate, but no tone. Worse still, when I went to re-assign the purchased alert, it was paying as null on the phone.
So in iTunes I removed it, synched, re-added and synched. Worked that night and broke next day again.
Next I tried a different tone. Worked that night, but failed again after a few hours. This time I was able to re-assign it, i.e. it hadn't been clobbered like the purchased one.

I also noticed right away that a couple of my apps no longer have properly working sound effects immediately following my iOS update. The sounds are actually hit or miss depending on if the app is running in the background or not. If I keep force closing all my apps out then they will work otherwise I just get the badge notifications but no sound to alert me. It's very frustrating.

yzjustdatguy

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Along with the no sound from notification issue, I'm also experiencing an issue where notification times are wrong on the lock screen. I will get a message and 10 minutes later, it'll still say I received it 1 minute ago. Not too big of a deal but still annoying. Hoping a software update will fix these issues

Well new phone will see
Keep us posted on how it goes. I'm tempted to take my phone and get it replaced also.

PureView

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Along with the no sound from notification issue, I'm also experiencing an issue where notification times are wrong on the lock screen. I will get a message and 10 minutes later, it'll still say I received it 1 minute ago. Not too big of a deal but still annoying. Hoping a software update will fix these issues

Keep us posted on how it goes. I'm tempted to take my phone and get it replaced also.

New phone makes no difference. I upgraded to a 6S 2 days ago and it too has the same issue.

marinejld

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
I've actually had the opposite happen to me recently where the there is a sound but no notification. This happens on simple everyday items such as email. I have multiple email accounts on my phone and I've noticed I'll receive an email from account 2 only and the sound for account 1 will sound, etc...I set them each up with very distinct customized alerts.

I want to say I've noticed notifications with no sounds though I am at a disatvantage as my iPhone 6 suffers from a bit of a switch issue in that it doesn't always stay muted and sometimes it mutes even though it is in the "up" position to allow for sounds, etc...

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I've had a random vibrate every blue moon like I have a notification & there's nothing there.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus  using Tapatalk

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Many of us have had those "ghost" sound alerts. They are usually an app or email sound alert that has no other alert type on in notifications. I had an app that did it's own sound alert. It was just a toggle. It was all that was on. Check notifications thoroughly as well as email alerts.

Justin Adams

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Is anyone else having the issues with the messages app? Seems most people are having it with third party apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I have discovered the source of my issue - lack of text (SMS or iMessage) alerts... I had turned the sounds off on my Watch. (Apple Watch app > My Watch tab > Sounds & Haptics > Silent Mode > [OFF] and Alert Volume all the way down.

I noticed that no sounds were coming to either phone or watch. I just changed the settings (Sounds & Haptics > Silent Mode > [ON] and moved the Alert Volume Alert slider all the way to the right)... next test text caused the sound to return to both my watch and my phone.

Reported same to Apple.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro