Why aren’t my contacts showing up in a search?

myblackz28

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
So I upgraded to Ios9.

When I drag down to bring the search menu and search a contact, my contact doesnt show up. The search results will show my contact in messages and calendar but not contacts. I used to have that in the older Ios. Any ideas?

mikeo007

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: Contacts not coming up in search

Go to: Settings -> General -> Spotlight search and ensure that the toggle for contacts is turned on.

Fawzi73

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site

I have the same problem. When I drag down to search and type a contact name no results and few results appear.
Example: I have 8 contacts having the first name Joseph and when I search, I start type J, then only one contact is displayed when I add Jo then no contacts are displayed !!

stooovie

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site

Contacts search is extremely spotty. When they do show up at all, it's almost always showing either wrong or rarely used contacts. For example, I have a frequent contact named Ema (local variant with single M). When searching for "Ema", random contacts show up (presumably with"email" field filled in), but her contact doesn't. Also, it lists every Lucas I rarely interact with, with exception of the one I'm interacting with daily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lawrenmel

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site

Having the same problem. Used to work fine, now no contacts show up in iOS 9 spotlight search. I've unchecked all but contacts and still no contacts. WTF?

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Also be sure "messages" is toggled on. You might also try a hard reset.
Hold the top power/sleep button and the home button at the same time until the Apple logo appears, then release.

stew1216

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site

Below just worked for me as nothing else did!

Open the Contacts app, tap your own contact... Then Groups will display in top left. Tap Groups in the top-left corner, then Hide All Contacts or show all contacts. One of them may default. Tapping just toggles back and forth between the 2 options. The IOS 9 update may have defaulted your option to Hide All which may be the only issue.

Tap Show All Contacts.

Carol Armitage

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site

If you go into your spotlight search, and turn off "Siri Suggestions" it will fix the problem. Mine was doing the same thing (very frustrating). Read other posts here - everything was turned on. But it was turning OFF siri suggestions that fixed my problem. Now when I begin a search with J - I see James, Jeff, John, Joseph, etc.... Back to normal :)

redcon1

May 3, 2013
Visit site

I have this issue also since the 9.1 update. Tried all the Spotlight toggles mentioned here, nothing works.

For now, I have to do the Groups workaround each time the contacts app is started.. Touch 'Groups', hit 'Done', and my Contacts will show up in search... at least until I shut the app down or restart my phone. Then its complete the workaround again. Frustrating. Hopefully the 9.2 update will fix this bug.

Naseem Salim

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site

I faced the same problem...
Just do the below it will work fine then.

Settings --} Contacts --} Display Order --} First, Last

also

Settings --} Contacts --} Sort Order --} First, Last

It will work now!

mooniismooni

Nov 12, 2016
Visit site

Simply go to settings>General>spotlight search>Turn off Siri suggestions, Suggestions in lookup,Suggestions in search
Then turn on again. Now turn off ur device by holding power button for 10 seconds then restart.
Here you go
Mine solved.
I'm using IPhone 6 Plus iOS 10.1.1

JA Rivera

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site

I go to contact, type any names and is showing "no results"
but on spotlight work perfectly... what is the issue with contacts?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner