I updated my 6 Plus to iOS 9 but at that time I did not update to the new notes. I was afraid I would lose my notes. Do you lose your notes if you update? And how can I update to the notes now?
    09-17-2015 09:31 AM
    No notes will be lost. it will just switch you over to the new version through iCloud.
    09-17-2015 09:35 AM
    But how do I update notes now? I didn't when I install iOS 9 in the beginning.
    09-17-2015 10:13 AM
    I updated my 6 to iOS 9 today and lost all my notes. Any advice on how to retrieve them?
    09-17-2015 10:51 AM
    So no one knows how to update notes to the new version? And will it erase my actual notes?
    09-17-2015 12:27 PM
    I too am wondering how to upgrade to the notes, since my wife passed initially, but would like to. I've been hunting in the notes app and in settings to no avail. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    -Pete
    09-17-2015 06:50 PM
    I figured it out. If you already upgraded to iOS 9. Then go into notes and on the top very left you'll see a arrow. Tap it and it will bring you back to the bringing of notes. There you'll see the words upgrade on the top very to the right. Tap it and it will ask you if you want to upgrade notes.
    rockoyster and Laelipoo like this.
    09-17-2015 08:04 PM
    I upgraded to iOS 9 today and notes updated with it. I didn't lose any of my notes, however, I am unable to create a new note untill I update iOS on my MAC, which won't be available till Sept 30! This is frustrating because I make little misc notes all the time! Anyone know how to create a new note without having my MAC updated?
    09-17-2015 08:45 PM
    Whenever I click the arrow it takes me to a screen that says yahoo notes and notes from pc.
    09-17-2015 08:48 PM
    I upgraded to iOS 9 today and notes updated with it. I didn't lose any of my notes, however, I am unable to create a new note untill I update iOS on my MAC, which won't be available till Sept 30! This is frustrating because I make little misc notes all the time! Anyone know how to create a new note without having my MAC updated?
    I have been able to make new notes regardless. I have the new iOS 9 version of notes. It hasn't said that I am unable to make new notes without Mac. So not sure what's happened with yours?
    09-18-2015 05:53 AM
    I have been able to make new notes regardless. I have the new iOS 9 version of notes. It hasn't said that I am unable to make new notes without Mac. So not sure what's happened with yours?
    It has however advised that to view the new notes I would have to have the new operating system installed so maybe it was that you saw?
    09-18-2015 05:54 AM
    I figured it out. If you already upgraded to iOS 9. Then go into notes and on the top very left you'll see a arrow. Tap it and it will bring you back to the bringing of notes. There you'll see the words upgrade on the top very to the right. Tap it and it will ask you if you want to upgrade notes.
    Hi .. I upgraded to iOS 9 yesterday. It's the old version of Notes. If I go into Notes, and left arrow at top just takes me to the main Folder screen, so I can choose Notes from a number of different email accounts ... but I don't find a way to the UPGRADE option you mentioned.

When I first went into Notes after upgrading to iOS9, it asked me if I want to upgrade to the new version and I confirmed, so surprised to see it's the old 8.4.1 version
    09-19-2015 02:13 PM
    You're a legend Airbrushkid. Been scratching around for ages trying to find this answer.
    09-21-2015 01:56 AM
    Don't see the arrow when start notes?
    09-21-2015 07:07 PM
    i suffered from the same issue, maybe u dont have any notes saved on your iphone? check the notes content folders, if u have 0 on your iphone, just copy them to the iphone folder, it helped me, as soon as i did that, new features appeared to work!
    09-23-2015 04:10 AM
    This did not work for me. I even tried unchecking Notes in iCloud then rechecking, but that didn't work either. Very frustrating.
    09-23-2015 11:44 PM
    There was a warning about this - I usually just say "OK!" but this time I didn't.
    Attached Thumbnails Updated to ios 9, but at that time did not update notes.-2015-09-24-05.56.05.png  
    09-24-2015 04:59 AM
    So here is the same question. I am on my first Iphone. 5S. Didn't sync the ICloud. In fact, still running update 7, due to not enough memory to update. Yes, I have a lot of pics. Yesterday, finally getting tired of the request to update, I hit UPDATE. Now, I have 9 but no Notes. Did I mention I never synced with ICloud?

Am I screwed WRT my notes?
    10-30-2015 11:56 AM
    So here is the same question. I am on my first Iphone. 5S. Didn't sync the ICloud. In fact, still running update 7, due to not enough memory to update. Yes, I have a lot of pics. Yesterday, finally getting tired of the request to update, I hit UPDATE. Now, I have 9 but no Notes. Did I mention I never synced with ICloud?

Am I screwed WRT my notes?
    Welcome to iMore!

If the notes are blank, you may very well be out of luck I'd definitely turn on iCloud sync, and if you have a lot of photos, enable iCloud photo library. You may need to upgrade your iCloud storage plan from the default 5GB (50GB is less than $1/month) but it will help you keep your photos safe, as well as help with storage.
    10-31-2015 07:17 AM
    When I tapped the top left arrow it just took me to the Notes index as usual, not to an upgrade option. But the index format had just previously changed & I can't find out how to change the index format, either. So now I have a strange (unhelpful) index format & I can't upgrade, either.
    09-16-2016 11:49 AM
    Try this:

Go to Settings > iCloud
    Switch iCloud Drive to On (this may not be necessary, but mine is ON
    Switch Notes to ON

After it completes, go back to Notes and you will see the new iCloud Folder with your notes.
    01-08-2017 08:06 AM