iOS 9 is slow...

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
My Note 3 had 3GB RAM. I am not going to waste your time detailing the features back ported from the 4 to the three. There were many. Lag due to low RAM is not something I had to worry about.

I had my reasons for going iOS, and they were quite valid. But I am done buying hardware with virtually no headroom. That was my point.

I am aware that hardware improves every year. I don't want a faster processor. But the ability to use the hardware I have to its fullest potential (OIS) and getting a surplus on a component that can easily bottleneck performance if underserved (RAM) is worth it, IMO.

Basically, I want headroom. The fact that the S series has 2 GB RAM (supposedly) is a bit of a clue, but I'm not going to upgrade only for the next one to have 3 and the software be designed with them being a priority causing further performance degradation.

Every Samsung update I got on my phones increased performance, so this is new to me. The headroom in their specs was a large contributed from that. iOS has outgrown the point where it can just be thrown on middling hardware and expected to fly, IMO, and some of the feature hold backs are just baffling.

I want to keep a flagship for 2-3 years and not feel the need to upgrade for a capability the one I have should be able to do, but only doesn't because the company wants to sell an extra phone. It has nothing to do with hardware pace of advancement. All Android flagships are over specced well beyond what apple would be willing to do in an iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Sounds like you should've never left Android.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
LOL at the "I'm tired of buying a phone" etc etc.
Simple solution....don't....

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Gold 128G iPhone 6 while I wait for my NEW AWESOME GORGEOUS SEXY 128GB iPhone 6s Plus in Rose Gold

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Updated about two hours ago. Smooth OTA with no issues. My iPhone 6 with 64GB is super snappy now and battery is definitely better for thus far. However, I'm a light user that has another device for work so that does my heavy lifting. I will say the font on the keyboard is obnoxious when in lower case. I know it's a subtle change but it's hurting these eyes, lol

It didn't hurt my eyes bit it WAS an adjustment.

Like WHOA that's WEIRD!!!!

Sent from my GORGEOUS, SEXY, AWESOME Gold 128G iPhone 6 while I wait for my NEW AWESOME GORGEOUS SEXY 128GB iPhone 6s Plus in Rose Gold

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
At least Apple supports their devices.

Whereas on Android... Software updates? You want software updates? Silly user, Trix are for... oops, sorry, wrong phrase. Let's try that again, shall we. Silly user, BUY A NEW PHONE INSTEAD!

Still waiting for Lollipop 5.1 on my Note 4. Lollipop turned it into a hot mess. It's unusable.

For all the specs, I can't take two pictures in sequence because the camera freezes. FB crashes constantly. And battery life tanked.

An it totally outspecs my iPhone 6.

But yeah.....people are into specs....meh.....I'm into performance. My iPhone 6 outperforms my Note 4 in my use.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm tired of spending $800+ year on phone upgrades.

Here is s totally revolutionary idea......DON'T.

When I was in CB you spent huge amounts of time complaining about BlackBerry. Now I'm in iMore and you're here complaining about iPhones. It's like you're seek out platform forums to complain about their offerings.

Why do that?

Buy your Android device of your choice. Get the biggest greatest fastest most updated most beast most outrageous specced device with sixteen cores and 18 GB of RAM that's future proof until 2035 and be happy and joyful and in peace.

Honestly. It's gotten old man. WAY old.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I am not experiencing reduced performance. Quite the opposite. I've found Apple finally quashed an iOS 8 camera bug as well. My iPhone 6 with iOS 9 is very fast and responsive. Everything is super smooth.

Last edited:

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Here is s totally revolutionary idea......DON'T.

When I was in CB you spent huge amounts of time complaining about BlackBerry. Now I'm in iMore and you're here complaining about iPhones. It's like you're seek out platform forums to complain about their offerings.

Why do that?

Buy your Android device of your choice. Get the biggest greatest fastest most updated most beast most outrageous specced device with sixteen cores and 18 GB of RAM that's future proof until 2035 and be happy and joyful and in peace.

Honestly. It's gotten old man. WAY old.

Exactly.
From yesterday to today going from iOS 8.4.1 to iOS 9 I haven't missed a step. I'm still able to conduct business and pleasure with the same iPhone. I could still do my thing with a least 4S maybe even a 3GS.
Any desire to upgrade to a 6S Plus is a desire for 3D Touch. Just like I had a desire for Touch ID in the 5S and Apple Pay in the 6 and larger screen in the 6 Plus.
I'm still getting it done with a iPad 2. Split screen in iOS 9 on a Air 2 gives me the desire to upgrade from IPad 2 to Air 2.

DaMaRa1109

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Like most others here my 6+ has been terrible since the upgrade. It looks like my moms iPhone 4 when I navigate the UI. I've had every iPhone since they've existed and I can say this is the worst version of a os Apple has ever pushed out (from my experience). I have faith it'll smooth out but it needs to hurry lol.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Exactly.
From yesterday to today going from iOS 8.4.1 to iOS 9 I haven't missed a step. I'm still able to conduct business and pleasure with the same iPhone. I could still do my thing with a least 4S maybe even a 3GS.
Any desire to upgrade to a 6S Plus is a desire for 3D Touch. Just like I had a desire for Touch ID in the 5S and Apple Pay in the 6 and larger screen in the 6 Plus.
I'm still getting it done with a iPad 2. Split screen in iOS 9 on a Air 2 gives me the desire to upgrade from IPad 2 to Air 2.

Funny you mention that. I've got a 3GS that I still fire up on occasion. It's running iOS 6. At that, it lags. I am not surprised. That's a three year difference between the release of the device and the OS it's running. Compare that to my Note 4 which can't run on a one year upgrade.

And it's got what? 4GB RAM? Can't take a picture. That's awesome.

People who we obsessed with specs are obsessed with touting them for their own sake, and ignore the very real fact that an underspecced device with a properly and efficiently coded OS can run laps around a poorly executed badly optimised overspecced device that NEEDS that H U G E hardware to make up for bad coding and poor optimisation.

1901Madison1

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
It depends on the phone as much as the platform. Some Android phones can't last a year (Samsung), but others seem to last as long as an iPhone (such as Motorola's Maxx and Turbo). I own a 6+ and a Turbo and find that a phone is a phone. They are much more similar than they are different.

sudbury78

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Still waiting for Lollipop 5.1 on my Note 4. Lollipop turned it into a hot mess. It's unusable.

For all the specs, I can't take two pictures in sequence because the camera freezes. FB crashes constantly. And battery life tanked.

An it totally outspecs my iPhone 6.

But yeah.....people are into specs....meh.....I'm into performance. My iPhone 6 outperforms my Note 4 in my use.

How about the 10 second delay IF it even opens when clicking on the picture after you take it to view it. The delay upon opening the task manager. I will say that when I flashed a stock 5.1.1 on the note 4 the task manager had no delay at all. But the camera issue was still an issue. It amazes me the iphone 6 plus outperforms those specs.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Angelo_Campher

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
It appears to be memory issue. Immediately after a reboot the device is somewhat sluggish, like animations when swiping through homescreens, first launch of the keyboard and opening folders. Once those animations are committed to memory it becomes smooth.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
How about the 10 second delay IF it even opens when clicking on the picture after you take it to view it. The delay upon opening the task manager. I will say that when I flashed a stock 5.1.1 on the note 4 the task manager had no delay at all. But the camera issue was still an issue. It amazes me the iphone 6 plus outperforms those specs.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Lollipop took a device that was a BEAST and totally hobbled it.

I'm fairly disgusted by it.

AND it's a disgusting fact that FB on my BlackBerry Quasimodo runs more efficiently than on my Note 4. THAT is appalling.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't care what other people are interested in.
I like that!
I'm interested in the hardware because I'm tired of spending $800+ year on phone upgrades and I want a phone that has the hardware and capabilities I need, and one that I know will get proper backports when new ones are added and the hardware is capable.
Understood

The lack of OIS for video is an issue for what I use my phone for.
Understood
Moving forwards, I'm not going to invest further in a device line that purposely holds back useful features to drive upgrades.
Now that's an assumption. Furthermore, feedback from its target base may be a major factor for them taking baby steps instead of leaps and bounds.
Great for business, and they're free to do that. But it's disingenuous to the buyer.
It may appear disingenuous to the technically inclined, but I doubt the average iPhone user feels that way, but I could be wrong.
Couple that with virtually every Android flagship doing 240FPS and how Video Analysis apps on iOS (and Android) are being crippled with IAP and Subscriptions I've moved most of that back to my PC, anyways.
I hear you.
I just need a phone that I won't have to worry about having half-implemented features and not ticking in the boxes with major updates.
Again, I hear you, but for 'me' and 'my' smartphone needs, the iPhone is sufficient and the upgrades are welcomed.

Battery Life my 6+ is the same as always.
Yeah, I get great battery life with my 6 Plus.
Performance is sketchy.
Performance is smooth, stable and fast for me, but I'm the type that tweak the settings to suit 'me'.
There really isn't much new stuff to play with so I didn't waste much time "exploring." My Phone updated on the charger 100% and has been off the charger since. If the battery life was affected, I'd have noticed it in the past 8 or 9 hours.
I hear you.

Smply_Rckless

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
WOW, I really thought you would like it. You would have to go back to iOS8 thru iTunes.

I jumped the gun way too soon. I still have the mail issue & the settings app opening weird but, everything is a lot better than it was on iOS 8. Fast as hell

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus  using Tapatalk

acerace113

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I jumped the gun way too soon. I still have the mail issue & the settings app opening weird but, everything is a lot better than it was on iOS 8. Fast as hell

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus  using Tapatalk

Wait until iOS 9.1 drops, it feels faster than iOS 9.0

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Wildo6882

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I wonder what is causing the difference in experiences for people so far? I noticed some lag on our iPad 4 when bringing up the task switcher yesterday, but I honestly didn't play with it much - my 3 year old has basically commandeered it to watch Paw Patrol. I don't have an iPhone to judge the difference in speed/lag/etc. other than that on my iPad. And the 6s Plus I ordered will be coming in with iOS 9, which I'm assuming will be like a baby oiled slip 'n' slide by the time I get it in.

And one thing I've noticed over the years with iOS devices and Android devices is that the iOS ones stay relevant a WHOLE LOT longer. My daughter (the 13 year old, not the 3 year old) has an iPhone 4, which is what, 5 years old now?! Now granted it's on iOS 7, but it still works fairly well. It does lag and it stutters and it takes like 3-5 minutes to start up. But it definitely functions. There isn't an Android phone on the market that is 5 years old that works as well as that thing does.

And I've heard so many horror stories about the Note 4 being such a great phone until Lollipop. And that Lollipop just completely derailed it. Although I have also heard of some people that got a Note 4 recently that had Lollipop installed on it already and it worked well. So I dunno. It's tough to gauge experiences in Android - they always seem to be completely all over the board.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit