Safe to install iOS 9 public beta on primary device?

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I've experienced a few springboard crashes, but no system reboots or other serious issues in 2+ days. Battery is pretty stable and almost on par with 8.4.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
My experience has been very stable. Only qualm I've faced is that the battery life was definitely decreased for me in the second public beta. Looking forward to upgrading to the third...

Sent from my LG G Pad 7.0 LTE

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
My experience has been very stable. Only qualm I've faced is that the battery life was definitely decreased for me in the second public beta. Looking forward to upgrading to the third...

Sent from my LG G Pad 7.0 LTE

Beta 3 has been great for me (iPhone 6 Plus and iPad mini), and I'm seeing better battery life.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I got the beta 3 uploaded. They borked Swype! LOL.

It'll work at first, then this when I try to re-access it.:
554026bb14afbf281a5862269bf54c3f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk!

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
can anybody help me with beta installation link ? Wanna install on my iPad Air Thanks

On the device, using Safari, go to beta.apple.com, login with your AppleID and follow the prompts. You will first have to download the beta profile, and then the beta software will show as an iOS update.

jaleelhamid

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I think it's safe to download it on your primary device I have it On mine and I love it no bugs yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
How is everything else working for you? And how are you feeling?

Using SwiftKey for now. Battery life is way better on beta 3! I'm much happier and not as worried about it dying in the middle of my day.

Finally figured out what was happening to me, they are testing this theory to be sure. If all goes well, I'll be home tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk!

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Hello lovely people. So I've been considering installing iOS 9 public beta on my iPhone 6, which also happens to be my primary device. Of course I will do the mandatory iTunes backup and everything. But I wanted to know from your experience whether I'm likely to face any major problem with iOS 9. Like serious bugs and all that might render my phone useless.

Basically, is it safe? What does your experience say? Thanks for sharing your insights!

I have and so far no major issues. You'll get some annoyances like groupme app sometimes crashes repeatedly but closing and reopening solves the issue

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Great to hear so many positive experiences. It gives me heart! I think I'll take the plunge this weekend. Fingers crossed! And thank you all for your responses. Feel free to share any issues you face in this thread. :)

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
One query guys. I have downloaded and installed the beta profile from Apple's website. My software update is now showing iOS 9 public beta 3 is available. Now my question is, what if I don't install the beta. Will I still receive normal iOS updates? Or do I need to do a system restore for that? Thanks.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
For those complaining or even concerned that the latest betas (DB5 and PB3) still lag from time to time or on intensive ops, here's something to consider. We need to realize that these beta releases still contain logic for running traces and diagnostics, etc. These tools do impact the overall performance of the release, and they will be removed in the GM release. Obviously, no one outside fo Apple knows specifically what kind of code traces (or where in the OS that they've activated them), but, the fact that these are beta releases pretty much guarantees that there is still active diagnostic code in the software.

The traces and diagnostics could be throughout the code and be used to identify areas where the code could be tightened up, and/or they could be focused on what Apple has identified as problem areas where they are trying to identify info and exterminate perceived bugs.

One more thing we can be sure of - the extra diagnostic code is negatively affecting battery life. Not sure how much of an impact it has, but it's definitely greater than zero.

My point with this post is that the GM version will definitely perform better once all of the diagnostic code is removed.

SnapThrow

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
what if I don't install the beta. Will I still receive normal iOS updates?

I believe this is addressed in the beta FAQ and it states that "normal" iOS 9 update will be pushed to beta users just as you would expect. I have the beta profile installed and the red update badge staring at me but haven't taken the leap yet...

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I believe this is addressed in the beta FAQ and it states that "normal" iOS 9 update will be pushed to beta users just as you would expect. I have the beta profile installed and the red update badge staring at me but haven't taken the leap yet...

Thanks! I'm installing beta - couldn't wait any longer.

Miska Hietala

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
For me the latest beta has worked like a charm. Had my doubts as well. Go for it. And a big bonus is that you get the chance to help Apple make the OS better.

iwicked

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
So far the beta has been working like a charm. I am noticing vastly improved battery life - 12 hrs standby and 2 hrs usage and I'm still at 78%. Wow! Haven't had any crashes or anything like that yet. Good stuff!

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
So far the beta has been working like a charm. I am noticing vastly improved battery life - 12 hrs standby and 2 hrs usage and I'm still at 78%. Wow! Haven't had any crashes or anything like that yet. Good stuff!

I'm having similar results.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal