Who else has uninstalled the public beta of iOS 9, and why?

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Like many others, I eagerly installed the public beta with glee. I played with it for a few weeks but the more I used it, the more I realised that I didn't like it. Yesterday evening, i uninstalled it nad went back to 8.4. Here's why:

I do not like the swipe left from the home screen to get to another search screen. The swipe down search is plenty good enough for me (and I liked that) and I failed to see why there should be another screen to the left of the home screen for me to access unintentionally (like I did day in, day out). It was a pet hate for me on Android and one of the reasons I installed an after-market launcher like Nova Prime on my devices.

For some reason that I honestly just cannot fathom, iOS9 has merged the notifications into one alphabetic list. On iOS 8.x and previous versions, Notifications are split into 'Include' and 'do not include'. In iOS9, every app is lumped in together, so you have to scroll down the list of all your apps that include a notification function (and many of them do for no appreciable reason) looking for the apps you have set to be included, amongst all those you have set to be not included. It takes more time to look, I invariably miss one and it just seems confusing.

The previous method of separating out the apps you have allowed to be included in notifications and the ones you have disallowed, seems to be a far, far more cleaner way of doing things. For a lot of changes, i can understand why Apple have done it but for the two above, it just seems needlessly confusing, time consuming and not what i would expect from a company that prides itself on streamlining the user experience.

The other issue is that two of the apps I use the most were not playing well with iOS9 (that's the chance you take and I accept that) and one of them was the primary way I chatted to my good lady wife who reside in another country. That, alone, was a deal breaker for the public beta for me.

I've submitted feedback to Apple for both of my gripes above. I doubt they will listen to one small voice in an ocean of many but there you go.

Honestly, if those feature stay in without a way of disabling them, I won't be installing iOS 9 when it goes live.

Anyway, there you go.

Have you uninstalled the beta? If so, taking out of the equation the fact that obviously not every app will work out with the beta, for what other reasons did you uninstall?

Bigeric23

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Just my thought: I really like iOS 9 on my iPad mini. It is very possible some things will get tweaked/added/removed before the official release. So . . . I'm not going to make a final judgment until it's out of beta.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Not me. I'm enjoying iOS 9 a great deal. In fact, I'm already used to it now and can't see myself downgrading unless I start experiencing distracting problems, but since I've been running it as my daily driver on my 'primary' device since beta 2, I highly doubt I'll experience any. By the way, I've never installed iOS 8.4 on this device.

kazn3r

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
Getting close to downgrading because of the cellular data issue (verizon), but before I downgrade I will fully wipe my phone, have 9 sent to me again and give it one last try.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Getting close to downgrading because of the cellular data issue (verizon), but before I downgrade I will fully wipe my phone, have 9 sent to me again and give it one last try.

Is the issue only affecting Verizon brand iPhones?

kazn3r

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
seems like it, from the other thread you had just written in--about an upcoming carrier update maybe patching the issue...

Never happened on (regular) 8, so I'm sure there's just something amiss in 9 public beta.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
seems like it, from the other thread you had just written in--about an upcoming carrier update maybe patching the issue...

Never happened on (regular) 8, so I'm sure there's just something amiss in 9 public beta.

Well, that's what the betas are for. Collect bugs and squash 'em. Find holes to patch up. Maybe by September it'll be nice and smooth.

dchandler

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm loving ios 9 so far, only problem I'm having is 1 app don't work (BBM), other than that I'm good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackmagicwoman

Trusted Member
Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Many of the apps I use were not playing well with iOS 9 and was causing it to start up slow. I love the new features but not enough to have to wait until September to use several of my apps. I even contacted several of the developers and they are working diligently to get up to speed for the official release. Love the music app and new spotlight update

kazn3r

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
While I feel bad for dev's being contacted about their apps not working with a Public Beta, I feel it may be a positive thing come september...but then I remember 8.4 is still on it's way.

Also, the feature I think I am really most looking forward to is the new notes, but I refuse to beta my Mac.

The News app is quite intelligent as well, but I am disgusted by websites that do not allow full articles to show on the News app.

Also, I've confirmed that you can share an article from the News app via iMessage or txt, and it will open the normal webpage, not necessarily the News app...aka a BB or Android User.

I am also not at all surprised that BBM does not work with this Beta--however, I am 100% sure that it will run with 8.4 and 9 official.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
While I feel bad for dev's being contacted about their apps not working with a Public Beta, I feel it may be a positive thing come september...but then I remember 8.4 is still on it's way.

Also, the feature I think I am really most looking forward to is the new notes, but I refuse to beta my Mac.

The News app is quite intelligent as well, but I am disgusted by websites that do not allow full articles to show on the News app.

Also, I've confirmed that you can share an article from the News app via iMessage or txt, and it will open the normal webpage, not necessarily the News app...aka a BB or Android User.

I am also not at all surprised that BBM does not work with this Beta--however, I am 100% sure that it will run with 8.4 and 9 official.

Did I misread your reply or are you under the impression that iOS 8.4 has yet to be officially released? If the latter, please know that iOS 8.4 had been released and it brought with it the official release of Music.

misanthropic

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I've tried both iOS 9 beta 3 and public beta 1, both installed on a fresh install, no backups what so ever.
On the iphone 6 plus it was a nightmare, UI it was too laggy and buggy for me. After 3 days i've downgraded to 8.4.
On the ipad air, the experience is a little better, but i'm sticking with this build no matter what because I use my ipad with an apple wireless keyboard and the new features for the keyboard are awesome, and I can be more productive.

All in all its a relative stable beta comparing with ios 8's early betas.

Have a nice day. ;)

kazn3r

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
Did I misread your reply or are you under the impression that iOS 8.4 has yet to be officially released? If the latter, please know that iOS 8.4 had been released and it brought with it the official release of Music.

Oh wow, you're right. I forgot that was 4. Actually, I didn't know, I just updated as told.

So, people who are on an 8.4 beta--is that a more recent software than 8.4 public release, releasing btwn now and september, or is 9 the next release to come?

Thank you very much--wow! lol

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Oh wow, you're right. I forgot that was 4. Actually, I didn't know, I just updated as told.

So, people who are on an 8.4 beta--is that a more recent software than 8.4 public release, releasing btwn now and september, or is 9 the next release to come?

Thank you very much--wow! lol

iOS 8.4 is the latest 'official' iOS release. If there are people still running the developer and/or public beta of iOS 8.4, they should update to the official release. Any updates to iOS 8.4 will be in increments as indicated by reports that 8.4.1 beta has been released to developers

http://www.imore.com/ios-841-now-available-beta-developers

Other than incremental updates, the next official version will be iOS 9, and it will be released this fall.

razza1987

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
iOS 8.4 is the latest 'official' iOS release. If there are people still running the developer and/or public beta of iOS 8.4, they should update to the official release. Any updates to iOS 8.4 will be in increments as indicated by reports that 8.4.1 beta has been released to developers

http://www.imore.com/ios-841-now-available-beta-developers

Other than incremental updates, the next official version will be iOS 9, and it will be released this fall.

I'm confused. Why at the end of that article does it say apple released 8.4.1 two weeks ago

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm confused. Why at the end of that article does it say apple released 8.4.1 two weeks ago

Posted via the iMore App for Android

It is a misprint that has yet to be corrected even though I submitted a screenshot of the error up the chain moments after the article was posted.

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
I tried it, I liked it, and I'll be first in line to install it in the fall. For now I went back to iOS 8.4 for the stability and fluidness of a full fledge release. I've Beta tested my fair share of software over the years, and appreciate those that still do, but that's not for me now I have better things to do with my time. I can wait ...

rlacrossjr

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Downgraded to 8.4.1 I'm on verizon and the LTE data bug. Having to turn off cellular every time going from wifi to LTE or 3G to LTE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk